Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 10:03 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
I don't know about shipping a car, it may depend on the car and it's value vs. selling and buying. The kind of car you may want in Oregon may not be the same as in Hawaii. If your girlfriend has a job lined up then that is probably where you need to live or close by. Bend is kind of expensive. Redmond a bit cheaper, Lapine cheaper.
That was true for me. Before moving to Oregon I bought a Honda Civic with low miles. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I knew I was going to be driving a lot of miles in Oregon and I wanted a car with good gas mileage. The car has accomplished that. But if I had it to do again, I would have bought a Honda CRV or a Toyota 4Runner. I have never even been interested in owning a SUV before I moved to Oregon. But now I realize that if I had one, I could do so much more, including car camping and driving on back roads that I'm just not comfortable driving my Civic on. I really understand now why most people here own SUVs or pickup trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 11:36 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

What do you consider warm?

I don't know what the specific temps are. Over the years when we have the urge to take a swim/dip/ nighttime skinny dipping, on a hot summer night. During the summer we have frequented local spots we found years ago. I/we spent much enjoyable time exploring the Oregon back roads looking for beautiful scenery to take images, fire ponds for fishing & maybe a swim. Looking for new spots to camp...

What are the current temps of these warm bathtub like waters?

We don't look for bathtub like water temps. If we did we would be going to hot springs.
We like comfortable feeling waters, not HOT.

I live near Mt Hood and own property in Southern Oregon.
I've grew up in Southern Oregon and continue to spend much time there.
I have never considered the water there to be warm, even in August, unless it's in a very shallow and still body of water.

We have found comfortable water temp holes, in the heat of summer at :
Umpqua River
Cow Creek
Galesville Res
Burma Pond
Coyote Creek
Wolf Creek
Grave Creek
Rogue River...on a Hot summer day a dip in the Rogue is very refreshing...

Applegate River
Lake Selmac
The others don't have names i'm aware of.

Often we used to go fishing at night...catch crawdads at times...jump in the water to cool off.

I'm not say that it doesn't exist but I'd like to see that for myself and get an actual temperature reading of the water.

Also, my mother is from Hawaii and I spend much time there. I've been to all the major islands including Niʻihau. The only island I have not spent time on yet is Kahoʻolawe and while the ocean water in Hawaii is much warmer than Oregon, it is not bathtub warm either. The ocean temps in Hawaii range from 77 degrees in the wintertime to 82 degrees in the summer.
Our favorite island is Kauai. Hawaii 2nd...

Florida however, does have bathtub like water temps on the gulf side.
We can't handle the humidity in Florida...No ThankYou.

Last edited by Hawk J; 07-27-2019 at 11:55 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 02:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
I didn't measure the temp of the river, but warmer than a heated pool. Maybe 80 degrees? It was about the same as skin temp on a warm day. You could comfortably sit in it for a long time without moving.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:53 AM

8 posts, read 15,053 times
I was born in Eugene and have lived here most of my life. It was changed - and not for the better. It is very exorbitantly priced in housing and the developers from elsewhere just keep building homes of $500,000 or more- which the average Oregonian can not afford. People who live here have become ruder and the traffic has become much more heavy and oftentimes dangerous with cars blowing through red lights and/or not understanding what to do at a 4 Way Stop. I would really find somewhere else other than Oregon to live unless you have a lot of money.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:14 PM

330 posts, read 428,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That was true for me. Before moving to Oregon I bought a Honda Civic with low miles. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I knew I was going to be driving a lot of miles in Oregon and I wanted a car with good gas mileage. The car has accomplished that. But if I had it to do again, I would have bought a Honda CRV or a Toyota 4Runner. I have never even been interested in owning a SUV before I moved to Oregon. But now I realize that if I had one, I could do so much more, including car camping and driving on back roads that I'm just not comfortable driving my Civic on. I really understand now why most people here own SUVs or pickup trucks.

this is good info, thank you. I've been very happy with my Toyota but I need at least new tires if I'm going to be living in the Gorge. maybe I need an SUV instead.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
An all wheel SUV certainly won't hurt, and might help in the long run.

Subaru.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM587 View Post
Awesome responses I appreciate you all. Was testing the waters with my first post lol my apologies ��. As far as why I’m wanting to move there well it’s been something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time but the cost of living in Hawai’i complicated things lol. Weather isn’t a issue, no kids so schooling wouldn’t be an issue too, love the ocean but I’m pretty sure I can adapt to lakes and rivers lol. Never been off this rock so I’m excited to start a new chapter in life. My girlfriend has a job lined up so we would just need a place to stay. What’s the job scene like? Is it cheaper to just get a car there versus us sending ours? Can’t really be picky about what town to live in yet because it needs to be affordable for us first but any input on the many towns good or bad would be appreciated. My original place I’d like to live in would be Bend. Anyone got tips on that?
Bend is a great city and it isn't affordable. Where does your GF work as it seems you want to be close to where she works.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 PM

206 posts, read 186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
An all wheel SUV certainly won't hurt, and might help in the long run.

Subaru.
Just get a unique color so you can find it in the parking lot along with all the other ones

Also OP, its about $1,000 to ship a car from Hawaii to Oregon.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I'm not positive about this but from some research, i've been reading that on some newer vehicles they have been using soy based wiring & rodents have been chewing up some folks wiring.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

On my Jeep Grand Cherokee, rodents have recently chewed up 2 wires & some windshield washer hose, that i know of (that i can see). One i got a glimpse of, looked to be a rat, about 8".....
Anyone who buys a new vehicle/newer vehicle, i would make sure you don't have soy based wiring.
On some vehicles they have found wires chewed up underneath the vehicle. (by the tranny, along the frame)

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:40 AM

218 posts, read 244,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I'm not positive about this but from some research, i've been reading that on some newer vehicles they have been using soy based wiring & rodents have been chewing up some folks wiring.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

On my Jeep Grand Cherokee, rodents have recently chewed up 2 wires & some windshield washer hose, that i know of (that i can see). One i got a glimpse of, looked to be a rat, about 8".....
Anyone who buys a new vehicle/newer vehicle, i would make sure you don't have soy based wiring.
On some vehicles they have found wires chewed up underneath the vehicle. (by the tranny, along the frame)

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Yeps! Do you know what vehicles or the years they started doing this. This could trigger a major recall. Certainly wouldn't want to live in Baltimore if that's the case (LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon