Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,708,095 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I just landed in PDX from a trip business trip. On the return flight I noticed lots of trees changing color around the rivers and local neighborhoods as we were landing.

Since this is my first fall season living here I am wondering if there any parks, river sections, lakes, etc... especially known for nice fall color viewing? Are there any places you like to walk/hike around PDX during fall? I would imagine the Gorge gets pretty nice as well in places.

Thanks,

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 09:32 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Multnomah Falls is a must see and when there is some fall color, it adds even more beauty.

Drives to the coast will be extra lovely, both with fall foliage and in the spring when the wild rhodies are blooming

Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Fall is good time for a covered bridge tour, and Silver Falls.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:11 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
To be honest, your best bet for fall color in PDX is just to stay in town.
With the huge variety of urban trees, there are some very pretty sights.
Just drive around!

If you go out to the woods, pretty much all you will see is yellowing Alders with a few splashes of color here and there.
Oregon fall colors are nothing like east coast fall colors.

In addition, I believe east coast fall colors are more vibrant not only because of the types of trees, but because Autumn is colder and drier there.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:43 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Multnomah Falls is a must see and when there is some fall color, it adds even more beauty.

Drives to the coast will be extra lovely, both with fall foliage and in the spring when the wild rhodies are blooming
I'm not sure about the North Coast, but I see very little fall foliage on the Central or South Coast. The trees here are about 98% or 99% evergreens. I have to drive about five miles to a place where there is a small stand of trees, that has pretty good fall colors. I'm not even sure what kind of trees they are or if they have started to change yet. I'll probably drive up that way in the next couple of days and see. But I don't think I would recommend the coast for fall colors. You have to look really hard to find any.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Good reminder about Multnomah Falls. I've seen some really nice pictures of it during fall.

When you talk about driving to the coast, are referring to PDX to Cannon Beach along Hwy 26 or a another Hwy?

Thanks,
Derek

Old 10-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
To be honest, your best bet for fall color in PDX is just to stay in town.
With the huge variety of urban trees, there are some very pretty sights.
Just drive around!

If you go out to the woods, pretty much all you will see is yellowing Alders with a few splashes of color here and there.
Oregon fall colors are nothing like east coast fall colors.

In addition, I believe east coast fall colors are more vibrant not only because of the types of trees, but because Autumn is colder and drier there.
Yes, I know what you mean about local neighborhoods. Trees near us are turning color along the roads, in shopping centers, etc... even if non native.

I've seen some amazing shots of the Japanese Garden during fall. I think there is a tree that people fly in from around the world just to take pictures of. Even if non native it still would be a beautiful thing to see. Portland Japanese Garden - Fall Colors

I've heard that the Hoyt Arboretum is pretty good in fall as well.

Derek

Old 10-11-2019, 11:51 AM

For those who enjoy fall colors, here is good blog on Oregon Fall Foliage.

There were some amazing shots of last fall some of which were residential neighborhoods. It looks like some of the waterfall locations get really scenic in the fall.

Also, I found a shot of the Sandy River near Gresham that seems like a good spot here:
Reflecting fall colors along the Sandy River near Gresham, Oregon

Derek

Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Covered Bridge tour is tomorrow (12 Oct)
https://www.meetup.com/PDX-Photography-and-Hiking/

Old 10-11-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Covered Bridge tour is tomorrow (12 Oct)
https://www.meetup.com/PDX-Photography-and-Hiking/
Thanks, Stealth. That looks like a good Meetup group. I just joined it. I didn't realize there were so many covered bridges in the PNW.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon