Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,751 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My three friends and I want to plan a fishing trip to OR in the next year or so. We most likely want to fish out off the coast.

My question is: where do you recommend to fish and with what company/boat. We don't want to break the bank but maybe something in the $150-$200 per day per person price? I know some places include lodging and food, which I know raises the price. We'd prob like to fish 2-3 days for Salmon, Sturgeon, and other species. Maybe some include crabbing too? FYI, we'll be traveling from California.

Anything will help!

Thx,

HWG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 02:45 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
There are charter operators all up and down the coast. If you are driving from CA then someplace on the southern coast is going to be more convenient, such as Bandon. If you are flying into PDX then someplace on the northern coast is going to be more convenenient.

Salmon fishing can be sporadic by time and area. There are also charter boats that go for albacore tuna farther offshore as well as for bottom fishing closer to shore that is always pretty reliable. I would honestly just call and ask the operators what that best fishing is for when you want to go and do that. It has been my experience that the charter operators pretty much talk to each other and work together to find best fishing spots. It's not like Bering Sea crab comercial fishing where it is all secretive and competitive. So I don't think you are going to find that one best boat that knows where all the fish are compared to the others.

Been a long time since I did any charter fishing so I don't have any places to recommend. Last time I went was out of Newport and I think Newport probably has the greatest number of charter operators because it is the best harbor and one of the largest towns on the coast, but I'm not even positive about that.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
I have been going out with Tradewinds Charters out of Depoe Bay for about twenty years now.
Never had a complaint, it's a top notch operation.

My boat is a little to small for me to trust it out on the big water unless it is really calm, so when I want to do some serieous offshore fishing, I go with these guys.

https://www.tradewindscharters.com/

You can find a place to say anywhere around Depoe Bay.

BTW, the Oregon coast is pretty long (about 360 miles) from north to south, with all kinds of fishing.

Could you be more specific on where you want to be?
It could make all the difference in your fishing adventure.
Depoe Bay is on the northern Oregon Coast, about two and a half hours (south) from Portland on a good day.

Right now tuna and salmon is hot.
The ocean is warm!
We just got back from a days fishing at Buoy 10 (the mouth of the Columbia) with three 20lb big oily delicious fall Chinook in the boat.
Having a big family salmon dinner right now, with some huge thick scrumptious tasty big fillets !!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't wait to long!!!!!

Ifish.net is a great resource to find out where you should be....................
https://www.ifish.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Get on there, introduce yourself, and ask for a good guide reference.
If you don't come across as a douche, you will get lots of help!!!!!

I here tell from Hawk that OregonFishingForums is a great site also, but I am an northern Oregon fisherman, so Ifish is all I need.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-20-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerwallygray View Post
Hello,

My three friends and I want to plan a fishing trip to OR in the next year or so. We most likely want to fish out off the coast.

My question is: where do you recommend to fish and with what company/boat. We don't want to break the bank but maybe something in the $150-$200 per day per person price? I know some places include lodging and food, which I know raises the price. We'd prob like to fish 2-3 days for Salmon, Sturgeon, and other species. Maybe some include crabbing too? FYI, we'll be traveling from California.

Anything will help!

Thx,

HWG
Try Depoe Bay. I'm not going to recommend any specific company, but either of these should work for you. They don't include lodging or food. But you can make reservations at the Harbor Lights Inn. It's right by the docks, so you can just walk outside and get on your boat. There is a cafe in the hotel. You will also find plenty of other great dining options nearby in the Downtown.

Oregons premier whale watching and charter fishing service, Dockside Charters, Deep Sea adventure

Best Whale Watching Depoe Bay Oregon - Tradewinds Charters

The Harbor Lights Inn - Depoe Bay Oregon Coast Vacation Lodging

Old 08-21-2019, 05:14 PM

Astoria:

https://fishingbooker.com/destinatio...BoCSNQQAvD_BwE

https://www.astoriafishing.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ia_Oregon.html

Garibaldi (Tillamook Bay):
https://garibaldicharters.com/rates-info/

https://www.siggig.com

Newport:
https://fishingbooker.com/destinatio...hoCI1EQAvD_BwE

JUST GOOGLE and read reviews, then post results.
That happens here a lot.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:21 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
IIRC, Booking is recommened 1 year in advance

Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM

There are always cancellations.
It's worth calling and trying.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Sturgeon is a Columbia River freshwater fish, not seafood. Bottom fishing off Depoe Bay or Newport they run to the "rockpile" a few miles offshore. Do that on a calm day. When the ocean is rough it's hard to keep a hook on the bottom. Fish are halibut, cod, ling, rockfish like snapper. Lately everyone has been fishing for albacore tuna instead, with great results.

Close inshore or in the bay, you can fish for dungeness crab. You can catch rockfish surf casting away from sandy beaches.

Tradewinds operates out of both Newport and Depoe Bay. They have been in business at least since 1950. They can't guarantee fish, but know where to go and what gear to use.

This year has been great at the mouth of the Columbia, but it varies from year to year. ODFW puts recreational fishing results on their web site, so you can check seasons, limits, restrictions, etc. before you ever leave home, plus dockside results.

https://myodfw.com/recreation-report...rt/marine-zone

Old 08-21-2019, 11:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Columbia River / Ilwaco, WA, Hammond, Astoria, is probably best for your Salmon and Sturgeon desires.

Off-shore, consider Garibaldi south to Newport and ports in between. Will depend on where the fish are at the moment...

Watch the reports (Game and Fish / US Corp...) If Salmon are not running, find something else to hunt.

Steelhead are a kick to land. (I prefer fishing and eating Steelhead to Salmon)

AK and BC are really great for Salmon and Halibut. (Maybe can be your next adventure).

Book a remote forest service cabin and schedule a float plane to drop you off.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:42 AM

679 posts, read 878,007 times
The fishing in Gold Beach is fantastic, both for ocean and river fishing. I have a freezer full of salmon, ling cod and rockfish. And we’re only 38 miles from the California border. Lots of great fishing guides, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon