Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 05:05 PM

63 posts, read 36,638 times

Advertisements

If you want to move to CA, but can not afford it, then WELCOME TO AZ.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the area around Scotts Valley in the Santa Cruz mountains or Santa Cruz or Los Gatos or Saratoga - all towns next to the Santa Cruz mountains would be perfect. Even South San Jose - where you can have the amenities of city life and amazing libraries, but be really close to mountains and the beach. And, the commute to great jobs would be reasonable. It's an amazing spot, where there really is a lot of nature - state parks, woods and beaches all close to big city amenities and jobs.

Rents aren't cheap here, but I'd start in that area. Also, depending on where you work, you can sometimes get hooked up with their employee buses, so they can actually work during their commutes, like Google, Apple, Facebook, etc.

I'm from the SF Bay Area, but moved to WA just out of high school and lived there for around 20 years all on the west side of WA from White Salmon to Bellingham. I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the weather. I'm sooooooo much happier here, regardless of any downsides. I'd trade the downsides here in a heartbeat to the downsides of living in PNW weather any day.

Best of luck to you. I really do think you'll be happier here. It's so much easier on the bones, too. If you have any injuries that bother you during cold, damp weather, I swear you will feel 10 years younger here. I know I do.
Hey No More Snow.... since you lived in both NW CA and the wet side of WA --
are they about the same weather-wise?

Western WA can sometimes get cold winter air from Canada, I understand.
Aside from that, are they basically variations on a theme... or are there other differences too?

Old 12-20-2019, 02:27 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMAngus View Post
If you want to move to CA, but can not afford it, then WELCOME TO AZ.
Or Nevada. Lots of folks are heading to Reno or Vegas. Since I prefer to be further north and closer to more waterways including the ocean ocean Reno has some positives. Being right next to Lake Tahoe and the High Sierra are nice perks if one likes mountains and lakes. Plus, you can get to the coast in ~ 4 hours for a weekend getaway. And like WA, there is no state income tax which many take advantage of. Some even live there part of the year to claim residency like my neighbor who had homes in both Reno and CA.

After looking at these other options, I preferred Sacramento which although still in CA is much more affordable than coastal CA and is closer to the coast than Reno at only ~1.5 hours. If you've never been to Tahoe it is quite spectacular year round with great skiing in the winter. Fall is beautiful as well with the aspen trees changing color.

Its also one of the clearest water lakes in the world.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-20-2019 at 02:36 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Hey No More Snow.... since you lived in both NW CA and the wet side of WA --
are they about the same weather-wise?

Western WA can sometimes get cold winter air from Canada, I understand.
Aside from that, are they basically variations on a theme... or are there other differences too?
They are not the same weather wise unless you are talking about Humboldt county north which many consider part of the PNW due to its proximity along with all of the rain. If you are talking about the Bay Area where it looks like you are moving from, there is a substantial difference.

Here's my POV. NoMoreSnow may have a different view. Keep in mind climate perspective is relative to one's overall preferences. For example, some love max sun while others actually prefer more cloudy days and rain. And some hate any sign of snow/ice even if in relatively small, infrequent amounts.

Summer: the PNW wins hands down and summer is truly magical here. The Bay Area and most of the CA coast is known for May Gray and June Gloom. While its not terrible, it's just that time of the year.

Fall: the PNW has more traditional seasons with beautiful fall colors both in the towns as well as the surrounding hills and mountains. Its more crisp though not too bad when outdoors which is when temps start to drop as one approaches winter. This is also when the rainy season gets into full swing unlike the Bay Area which is significantly drier. Fall is when NorCal really warms up in many places especially along the coast. It was my favorite time of the year in Monterey after the tourists have gone and the beaches are basically empty.

Winter: the PNW will be colder and much more rainy day to day with occasional light snow on the west side. The Bay Area is usually crisp, sunny and beautiful out most of the winter except for the usual storms that roll through. Then the sun pops again as soon as those storms pass and one can go down to the beach with shorts on and not freeze even if brisk out.

Spring: the PNW really gets some beautiful wildflowers blooming all around. Rain showers are still common. But the sun begins to pop out more with mixed light as the days get longer. Bay Area is pretty nice all spring if one is ok with not much rain. These recent drought years have been difficult especially for the fire prone regions in NorCal.

Derek

Old 12-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Thanks, Mtn Surfer... I was indeed referring to the northwest corner of CA -- Humboldt and Del Norte --
which as you say could be considered part of the PNW.

And overcast / foggy / misty days are fine by me... I don't find them gloomy at all.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Mtn Surfer... I was indeed referring to the northwest corner of CA -- Humboldt and Del Norte --
which as you say could be considered part of the PNW.

And overcast / foggy / misty days are fine by me... I don't find them gloomy at all.
Ok, then there will be other differences when compared to the more populated inland regions (Portland, Seattle, Olympia, Vancouver, Salem, etc...). The PNW coast can actually get a lot more rain and is cooler in Summer. Pay special attention to the average rain totals which help to paint the picture. Plus it gets a lot more wind. Right now, for example, there is a winter storm watch along the coast with a high wind advisory "winds 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 70 mph expected." Inland the wind is less severe. I'm looking outside my window and while raining the trees are barely moving- top wind forecasted ~ 15 mph. If you combine high wind with lots of rain and the salt air, it can be very hard on home and vehicle maintenance. And there can be flooding in the low-lying areas. Case in point: High Winds, Flooding, High Surf to Rough Up Oregon Coast, Washington Coast

Its not all bad along the coast though. This past summer was very nice out. I took the family to the beach a number of times and it was gorgeous out.

Most seem to prefer to *visit* the PNW coastline and that's why there are no major cities there. Whereas in CA (Bay Area -> south) its the opposite. The coast has the most desirable real estate and is the preferred place to live and work due to the more favorable climate year round (SF, Monterey, SLO, Santa Barbara, LA, OC, SD).

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-20-2019 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 01:57 PM

Great photo! Where was it taken?

Old 12-20-2019, 03:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Most seem to prefer to *visit* the PNW coastline and that's why there are no major cities there. Whereas in CA (Bay Area -> south) its the opposite.
The Oregon coast economy was traditionally logging, fishing and tourism. With the end of logging (more-or-less) it is now tourism and retirees. The Coast Range in the north (and the Siskiyou/Klamath Mountains in the south) form a barrier between populous areas and the coast and restrict the traffic. The closest California analogy would be the northern California coast from Mendocino north - it isn't exactly just a hop over from I5 and it is a slog up 101 (a beautiful slog, but several hours) from the Bay area.

Most of the heavily populated coastal cities in California are quite near much larger population centers (or are college towns like Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo).

The lack of solid transportation options (rail, large airports, major highways for truck and commercial traffic) and the distance from higher population areas (and the 60-95" of rain a year) are what keep coastal towns small and set like knots in a string along the coast.

Much like Southern Oregon, where I live (hotter summers, around 200 days of sun/part sun a year, much less rainfall and a shorter winter), large employers don't come because of the lack of qualified employees and the employees don't come because of a lack of employers (plus the distance from larger cities).
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Great photo! Where was it taken?
That's one of the more popular beaches near Portland named Short Sands Beach or 'Shorty's.' Its south of Cannon Beach so a little more driving but very worth it! Its a great spot for surfing and paddleboarding which we did this summer. The biggest shocker to me was how warm the water was. They got some kind of 'warm water blob' and so I was able to wear a short arm/short leg spring suit out there. I even saw a guy surfing in trunks. It was actually warmer than Monterey where we moved from!

Derek

Old 12-20-2019, 06:44 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
They are not the same weather wise unless you are talking about Humboldt county north which many consider part of the PNW due to its proximity along with all of the rain. If you are talking about the Bay Area where it looks like you are moving from, there is a substantial difference.

Here's my POV. NoMoreSnow may have a different view. Keep in mind climate perspective is relative to one's overall preferences. For example, some love max sun while others actually prefer more cloudy days and rain. And some hate any sign of snow/ice even if in relatively small, infrequent amounts.

Summer: the PNW wins hands down and summer is truly magical here. The Bay Area and most of the CA coast is known for May Gray and June Gloom. While its not terrible, it's just that time of the year.

Fall: the PNW has more traditional seasons with beautiful fall colors both in the towns as well as the surrounding hills and mountains. Its more crisp though not too bad when outdoors which is when temps start to drop as one approaches winter. This is also when the rainy season gets into full swing unlike the Bay Area which is significantly drier. Fall is when NorCal really warms up in many places especially along the coast. It was my favorite time of the year in Monterey after the tourists have gone and the beaches are basically empty.

Winter: the PNW will be colder and much more rainy day to day with occasional light snow on the west side. The Bay Area is usually crisp, sunny and beautiful out most of the winter except for the usual storms that roll through. Then the sun pops again as soon as those storms pass and one can go down to the beach with shorts on and not freeze even if brisk out.

Spring: the PNW really gets some beautiful wildflowers blooming all around. Rain showers are still common. But the sun begins to pop out more with mixed light as the days get longer. Bay Area is pretty nice all spring if one is ok with not much rain. These recent drought years have been difficult especially for the fire prone regions in NorCal.

Derek
I'm not sure where you get the May Gray and June Gloom for the Bay Area. May is the sunniest month in San Francisco. The only months in the Bay Area, that might be considered gray or gloomy would be November, December, January, and maybe February, and personally I wouldn't consider those months lacking sunshine. Even December and January about 50% of the days have some sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon