Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am from Jersey ( *sniff* *sniff* I hate it here...) and am probably moving to Portland in a year and a thought accord to me...seeing all those pictures of Pines pines and NOTHING BUT PINES, I was wondering, what does Fall look like in western Oregon? I mean...are there ANY Deciduous trees over there, are is it all evergreens? That's one thing I would HATE to give up, is the beauty of fall leaves... and the SMELL of them! I went hiking in the Catskills last year in November, and it was like walking in mountains of colorful Potpourr. I lost myself for HOURS singing Dead Can Dance and U2 songs to the trees while hiking around...(btw, 99% of Jersians hate the outdoors and their idea of a "hike" is walking through the mall to get yet another pair of $85 dollar pants with the word "Pink" written accross the booty)

Anyhow, is there any color-change in western Oregon? As nice as the pictures of Hood and the Olympic national forests look, I would hate to have to give up the kind of scenery that gave rise to the "Hudson River school" of art...ohh, and this is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited: Kaaterskill Falls in the Catskills...now, imagine how this would look with every tree a different color, from red to orange to yellow...with yellow leaves thrown around the ground like the coins of a dragon's hord, and then you'll get an idea of what I don't want to miss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
It depends. There are some areas of Portland where colors splash in the fall. However, if it's rainy or too cold too soon, fall is a few days long. On other years, it's terrific. That said, a drive thru from Hood River down the Columbia River Gorge in the fall is spellbinding.

Yeah, we have our moments.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Here along the Coast.......there are a few yellow leaves but mostly tall green pines. For color....in December the cranberry bogs are red and the gorse turns bright yellow and in August the Dahlias are as huge as dinner plates.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
We get color. The white oak is a native oak tree here.

It's not like Boston though where it seems like it is all maples and oaks. It's mixed in.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
I agree, we do get color, but nothing like the Northeast. In southern Oregon there are allot of Oak, Cottonwood and other deciduous trees that add some color. The majority of the trees here are Douglas Fir. Along the coast you have Hemlock, Spruce and Cedar as you go inland it will change to Doug Fir, then as you top the Cascade Range it will mostly be Pines.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
I am very impressed with Oregon autumns in general, but I have extremely limted exposure to New England autumns for comparison. In some places driving through the Cascades (if you hit it at just the right time) the colors are amazing, and within the rugged lava rock.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM

42 posts, read 191,864 times
Wow! What a beautiful waterfall!! I think you will find beautiful fall foilage in the Willamette valley. The deciduous trees are especially beautiful next to the deep green of our lovely fir trees. Walking in the woods in the fall, you will see a lot of color. I have not had the priviliage to visit New England in the fall, so it would be hard for me to compare. I believe you would find fall in the Northwest to be gorgeous!!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 AM

12 posts, read 91,609 times
The Willamette Valley floor is predominantly dediciuous, as Oregon White Oak dominates along with alders, dogwood, willows, cherry trees, yews, and so forth. A lot of orchards exist out here as well. At the same time, christmas trees are a major industry around here, and so farms, feral stands, and native forests of fir and pine definetely exist--especially in the hills 'n' buttes which dot the floor, while many of the mountain passes are also dominated by evergreens.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM

18 posts, read 50,468 times
Speaking from Eugene, there are numerous deciduous trees here and very vivid colors. Maybe not as
beautiful as the Northeast, but you should see California where you'd never know it was Fall.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon