Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:36 AM

9 posts, read 24,990 times

Advertisements

Hi -
We want to relocate from Miami to Oregon. I have spent time in Oregon and realize the weather will be an adjustment (understatement). We are to the "far left of center politically", have two German Shepherds and prefer a simple, yet functional home near organic markets, etc.

However, I would like suggestions as to places to live in Portland and/or Eugene. My housemate and I will fly out to Portland in late February and will look in Portland and then Eugene. We hope to find a rental and then put the house in Miami on the market.

The move is based upon a lot of factors - insurance premiums, cost of living in Miami, fear of another hurricane season, etc. We have considered different areas of the country (I used to work as an assistant director in LA and have spent time in various cities, states, etc. on location) however Oregon seems to be the best place for us.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is a big move for use?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
I tend to be a rationalist in most things, and garnering facts and statistics has a place in decisions about moving...but it only goes so far. Experientialism is really the mode of knowing that I think is important about a place. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a place that "rated" well and ended up being really been turned off by the vibe. It's a little bit like setting yourself up with a blind date whose stated interests and personal history seem like a logical match with yours. If the chemistry isn't there, the hypthetical fit just don't matter.

Having said that, I think you're on exactly the right track. I'm guessing you won't need to look much outside of Eugene and Portland. One day will probably be sufficient to breathe in the qi of Eugene; it's a fairly homogeneous city (not including Springfield which is different). Portland has a lot of different districts and surrounding exurbs that each have a slightly different vibe and that will take longer to assimilate. If you were coming from farther up the East Coast, I'd say Portland for sure. It's one of the few cities in the West that most East Coasters easily feel at home in. It's also the most cosmopolitan, but not in the same way the ritmo latino of Miami is.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:27 AM

108 posts, read 469,956 times
Sounds like you'd like it here. Eugene might be a little small for you--Portland has a lot to offer; huge change from Miami. I was born and raised in Miami. Portland is so unlike Miami it could make a hilarious reality tv show to send some people from P-town down to Miami to try to blend in...Well, anyway enjoy the nice warm rain while you have it. I wouldn't even look at the outlying areas--Portland has a neighborhood for you. Of course you should see what else is around, but in Portland you can easily find a place where you can walk to the organic markets, book stores, etc. You'll probably think the misty rain here is cute compared to S. Florida rain.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM

148 posts, read 239,028 times
I have spent a couple of days in Miami, and I did not see it being too different than any other popular warm beach location. More gays, more old jewish people, more skimpy bathing suits, but it was fine. Not sure what you are getting at with us trying to survive down there. I think we will survive a lot better than a Floridian moving here. For us it would be paradise, for them it may be hell!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:51 AM

You'd have to have spent more than a couple of days there to understand what I was getting at. It's quite a juxtaposition in values/ dominant culture/ attitudes, that's all.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:53 AM

P.S. I didn't say "survive"...I said "blend in" down there.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Thank you - question about Portland

Thank you for your suggestions. I had planned to spend more time looking around Portland than Eugene. I have already lined up some job contacts and they are all in Portland. Eugene seemed attractive because it is a smaller city but that can also have disadvantages.

Because of my German Shepherds, I am going to have to look in suburban areas outside of Portland, I think (they need at least some space though they live inside). I will research those areas. I have read through many of the posts on this board and it has given me a lot of information on areas. One poster mentioned Tigard - is that a good area?

Miami is really not a terrible place but not for me. The weather is really really hot except for a few months in the winter and you end up living inside with air conditioning all of the time. I am from LA and never have really adjusted to the high heat and humidity of Florida. In addition, Florida has, if anything, an anti environmental movement and the people here are consumed by an incredible need for material things - there is not much here for a vegan, leftie type of person.

I have experienced Oregon in the Fall Winter Summer and Spring. I must say the Spring and Summer were wonderful.

Thank you again for your input.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM

66 posts, read 254,663 times
Hi. If you are a vegan, Portland and Eugene are both great places. Here is a cool article on growing veganism movement in Portland:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/susta...12637867937300

Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Thank you - great article. Makes me feel even better about going to Portland.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
Allie, I think you will find plenty of new friends w/similar interests when you come here. I'd highly recommend Portland’s Saturday Market. They have tons of wonderful people that make all these creative items. From food, to pottery, clothes to kids toys. Little bit of everything. We have several different farmers markets that have a terrific variety of homemade items, and many communities have community gardens. Tigard.....boy...I used to live there, and it may be a bit...urban/commercialized for you. I don’t know. From what I remember, lots of apartments, great shopping, plenty of stores/mall, and restaurants. But I very well could just be thinking of the parts of Tigard I lived in. BTW, I’m not sure of all areas it goes to, but you definably could live in most suburban areas and take MAX in. Might want to keep that in mind too.
Best of luck to you!!
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon