Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree. Startlink is not a viable broadband solution, except as a very basic internet connection in areas where no other internet service is available. The real world speeds for it show that it's download speeds are as low as 11 mbps and upload speeds are as low as 5 mbps. At those speeds it will never compete with any wired internet connection, and it probably will not even be able to compete with G4 mobile internet services. That is totally unacceptable for someone trying to make a living with it. The only thing that Starlink will be good for is people living or working off grid, who need the most basic of internet service.
Cloudy - Do you have a source for the Starlink connectivity performance? Your numbers appear significantly slower than what has been reported...

Median Starlink download speeds in the U.S. range from 40.36 Mbps to 93.09 Mbps.

"Median latency values on Starlink were observed from 31 ms (Kittitas County, Washington) all the way up to 88 ms (Otsego County, Michigan),

https://mashable.com/article/starlin...ency-speedtest

None of this as much as hyped by the company but seems considerably above your numbers. Seems like there is a lot of variation, so it is possible that you have experienced something on the low end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 07:26 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Cloudy - Do you have a source for the Starlink connectivity performance? Your numbers appear significantly slower than what has been reported...

Median Starlink download speeds in the U.S. range from 40.36 Mbps to 93.09 Mbps.

"Median latency values on Starlink were observed from 31 ms (Kittitas County, Washington) all the way up to 88 ms (Otsego County, Michigan),

https://mashable.com/article/starlin...ency-speedtest

None of this as much as hyped by the company but seems considerably above your numbers. Seems like there is a lot of variation, so it is possible that you have experienced something on the low end...
Yes, I do. Putting aside Elon Musk BS about gigabit speeds, it should be obvious to anyone that bouncing internet data off a satellite is never going to get you the same results you can get through a fiber optic cable. But I wish Starlink the best of luck. For people living or working off grid, I'm sure it will be a godsend. But I don't think it's serious competition to wired ISPs, or even to cellular based ISPs.

Quote:
SpaceX Starlink speeds revealed as beta users get downloads of 11 to 60Mbps
Ookla tests aren't showing the gigabit speeds SpaceX teased, but it's early.

Beta users of SpaceX's Starlink satellite-broadband service are getting download speeds ranging from 11Mbps to 60Mbps, according to tests conducted using Ookla's speedtest.net tool. Speed tests showed upload speeds ranging from 5Mbps to 18Mbps.
SpaceX Starlink speeds revealed as beta users get downloads of 11 to 60Mbps _ Ars Technica

Old 07-26-2021, 10:44 PM

5,446 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, I do. Putting aside Elon Musk BS about gigabit speeds, it should be obvious to anyone that bouncing internet data off a satellite is never going to get you the same results you can get through a fiber optic cable. But I wish Starlink the best of luck. For people living or working off grid, I'm sure it will be a godsend. But I don't think it's serious competition to wired ISPs, or even to cellular based ISPs.

SpaceX Starlink speeds revealed as beta users get downloads of 11 to 60Mbps _ Ars Technica
And what are their upload speeds? Upload speed is important if you are working from home and doing video conferencing. Download speed is more about Netflix.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:52 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
And what are their upload speeds? Upload speed is important if you are working from home and doing video conferencing. Download speed is more about Netflix.
Downloads 11Mbps to 60Mbps
Uploads. 5Mbps to 18Mbps.

I think video conferencing would be difficult at those speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon