Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2022, 12:47 PM

88 posts, read 53,737 times

Advertisements

What is it with Oregonians who are on vacation and who demand that any sales tax be deleted when shopping in a state like Colorado?

We have witnessed several instances in Boulder and Colorado Springs over the past few weeks where Oregonians demanded that sales tax on their purchases be deleted. They are quite rude about it. None were successful, except for one where the young clerk gave them back the sales tax in cash.

Now I know that the state of Washington will reimburse Oregonians for sales tax if and when they file their receipts, but no on other state I know does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 01:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briargate View Post
What is it with Oregonians who are on vacation and who demand that any sales tax be deleted when shopping in a state like Colorado?

We have witnessed several instances in Boulder and Colorado Springs over the past few weeks where Oregonians demanded that sales tax on their purchases be deleted. They are quite rude about it. None were successful, except for one where the young clerk gave them back the sales tax in cash.

Now I know that the state of Washington will reimburse Oregonians for sales tax if and when they file their receipts, but no on other state I know does this.
This does not sound like Oregonians to me. It's probable that the culprits are Oregon residents who originated in another state instead of real Oregonians.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-27-2022 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-27-2022, 01:03 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
^ Misinformed jerks.
after 3.5 yrs in WA and paying cash, I still forget the sales tax. I hate the added change.
I now walk leaning towards the pocket with the change--the right side.
I also over tip because the I calculate the tip on the gross and not the meal.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:49 PM

56 posts, read 55,484 times
I don't believe this.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The Washington State law is that residents of states with 3% or less state sales tax still have to pay the full tax, but for eligible purchases may request a refund for the state portion, which is 6%. Here in our area near Seattle the tax is actually 10.1% now so they would still be paying the additional 41%. The eligible items are only those being used in their state, like clothes, appliances, or tools. They cannot get a tax refund on lodging, gas, restaurants, parking, or Pot.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees522 View Post
I don't believe this.
I don't either.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:16 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Washington used to exempt Oregonians from WA sales tax for goods to be used in Oregon to encourage Oregonians to shop in WA. As an earlier poster mentioned I think they now require an Oregonian to file for a tax refund which creates a bother barrier.

Years ago I purchased a car in Vancouver, WA, and was charged sales tax on the service charge to install an option. After that, my husband and I stopped shopping in WA.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:47 AM

Really isn't that much you can buy on Columbia River's north shore that can't buy on the south shore at the same price. Hayden Island used to be a big Washington draw. The big box stores and Freddy along the freeways, seem to draw more people than the local population would suggest. Gas at one time cheaper in Vancouver than anywhere in the Valley.

When we lived in Oregon, we gave Washingtonian. DS, the big packages of costco's , paper towels, REI/Columbia clothing.
Now that we live in Washington, just a mile from DS, mommy still gifts him TP, Paper towels, batteries. He refuses the clothing, no place to put them.
YTMV

Old 08-31-2022, 02:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Really isn't that much you can buy on Columbia River's north shore that can't buy on the south shore at the same price. Hayden Island used to be a big Washington draw. The big box stores and Freddy along the freeways, seem to draw more people than the local population would suggest. Gas at one time cheaper in Vancouver than anywhere in the Valley.

When we lived in Oregon, we gave Washingtonian. DS, the big packages of costco's , paper towels, REI/Columbia clothing.
Now that we live in Washington, just a mile from DS, mommy still gifts him TP, Paper towels, batteries. He refuses the clothing, no place to put them.
YTMV
Since we go down to Portland 4-5 times a year, we will delay buying expensive items that we can carry easily in our vehicle and save more than enough to pay for the gas. We even bought an upright 15 cu ft freezer there years ago and just drove the truck that trip, that saved us $150, much more than the gas. Another time it was an iPad and several gallons of paint.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:25 PM

^ I'm heading to Portland-Beaverton on the Cascades, in a couple of weeks. Should I or shouldn't I get some TP ? The downside is that I will have to carry the 2 packages on the bus. And I may not make the walk from King Street Station to 4th.... may get rolled for the TP- a tradable item amongst the homeless-

Once I bought a bidet seat and had it delivered to my sister's on the coast. Tax savings paid for oneway train .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: