Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,159 times

Advertisements

Being aware nobody can know what part of town would be right for us, we're wondering if we could get an idea of the different areas of town ?
I did live/work in CB for about 2 1/2 yrs. a long time ago, life happened and had to leave (35 yr ago).
Now looking to return.
I've read through old posts and am trying to get an update, as most likely time has changed things a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 06:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
North Bend.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:47 PM

How would you compare North Bend to Bunker Hill or somewhere around the hospital ? I remember hearing Eastside is more out of the fog, but never noticed much difference myself.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:02 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
What did you like about it, that's drawing you back now, OP?

Old 08-11-2022, 05:01 PM

Hi Ruth, In just 2 words - the weather. Our careers have taken us all over most of the U.S. and we have discovered that we are not sun worshipers. Spent enough time in 100+ degrees to learn that. Also plenty of years in snow & ice to know as we age it will only get more difficult to deal with.
Then of coarse find it to be a very scenic area with plenty of services and things to do.
Hoping there are a few posters with local knowledge willing to share opinions of different parts of town. As mentioned earlier when living there many, many yrs. ago, we were 4-5 miles up the river, but I think prefer to be in town now.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
How would you compare North Bend to Bunker Hill or somewhere around the hospital ? I remember hearing Eastside is more out of the fog, but never noticed much difference myself.
As with other coastal communities, the farther inland, the less you'll deal with the marine layer.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:19 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Being aware nobody can know what part of town would be right for us, we're wondering if we could get an idea of the different areas of town ?
I did live/work in CB for about 2 1/2 yrs. a long time ago, life happened and had to leave (35 yr ago).
Now looking to return.
I've read through old posts and am trying to get an update, as most likely time has changed things a bit.

I moved back after being gone a similar amount of time.

I moved outside of city limits. I wanted to live in a treed area on a larger parcel. I am sensitive to heat and would really prefer to be closer to the breeze of the marine layer. But I'm pretty content.

The basic footprint of the area hasn't changed much. I was pretty young an naive when I left and can't really say weather there is a personality shift. It seems like there are more issues with low people acting low. I don't know any other way to put it. I don't remember it being like this. I don't know if it's because the times were different or because I just didn't notice it.

I lived in the Empire area years ago and it was fine then. Now, west Newmark area can be sketchy. Other areas too. I've seen a couple of trailer parks that I steer clear of. One, kind of near Fred Meyer on the other side of the street. The other in Charleston, which is really a shame because that was someplace I used to go frequently when I was young and felt safe everywhere. If you go to Charleston, it's okay - just know there are sketchy people out there in that one area.

There's much more crime now, but not so I don't generally feel safe. When I was young, there was very little crime. I remember a girl got murdered and it was in the news for a year. They were really reaching to solve the crime. They even called in a psychic, IIRC.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:08 PM

Thank you for your reply. I had also heard that Empire has become less peaceful and quite than years ago.

Like you, I'm not sure if we just notice area's we'd rather not be in anymore or if it has gotten worse which would surprise me as I thought I had read of recent improvements to town. Nice to hear that you do feel safe.

Lately we have been trying to research N. Bend but can only get so much info. online. Coos Bay is such a pretty area and although we are far from wealthy we are trying to avoid less desirable areas as we age.

The only 3 areas I can think of is Eastside or by the hospital and Mingus Park, but have heard mixed feelings about the park area. IDK

Any info. would be appreciated

Last edited by movedintime; 08-21-2022 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: ad spacing

Old 09-10-2022, 08:27 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,255 times
I love the Mingus Park area. I was really disappointed, though, with the property taxes in Coos Bay. They are higher than the surrounding areas. Even North Bend is noticeably lower. I'm in the county off of E. Bay Rd. It is very safe out here and the taxes are lower.

Old 10-02-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I moved back after being gone a similar amount of time.

I moved outside of city limits. I wanted to live in a treed area on a larger parcel. I am sensitive to heat and would really prefer to be closer to the breeze of the marine layer. But I'm pretty content.

The basic footprint of the area hasn't changed much. I was pretty young an naive when I left and can't really say weather there is a personality shift. It seems like there are more issues with low people acting low. I don't know any other way to put it. I don't remember it being like this. I don't know if it's because the times were different or because I just didn't notice it.

I lived in the Empire area years ago and it was fine then. Now, west Newmark area can be sketchy. Other areas too. I've seen a couple of trailer parks that I steer clear of. One, kind of near Fred Meyer on the other side of the street. The other in Charleston, which is really a shame because that was someplace I used to go frequently when I was young and felt safe everywhere. If you go to Charleston, it's okay - just know there are sketchy people out there in that one area.

There's much more crime now, but not so I don't generally feel safe. When I was young, there was very little crime. I remember a girl got murdered and it was in the news for a year. They were really reaching to solve the crime. They even called in a psychic, IIRC.

I'm guessing you are off 241. Can I ask how far out 241 you had to go to avoid the marine layer ? I don't like the heat either, but spouse is concerned about not enough sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon