Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM

378 posts, read 1,570,657 times

Advertisements

I think it all has to do with emotions on one level or another....one can find a "diagnosis" for anything. I had a daughter who lived in Kentucky and people had "stress" over tornado issues. "tornado stress disorder". I had another daughter living in Texas, where people had to deal with strong dry winds a good part of the year (they would have to stay indoors when they had dust storms). "dry wind disorder" I think some people are pre-programmed to think Oregon does not get enough light because there are so many cloudy days. ALL I was trying to say was that during those many "cloudy" days, there are also tons of blue sky breaks and sun breaks. I live in Salem during the week, so I am aware of valley weather. I think when you hear about rainy Oregon, some people are going to be affected by that thought, but there could really by many, many other emotional factors involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM

845 posts, read 2,744,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
I think it all has to do with emotions on one level or another....one can find a "diagnosis" for anything. I had a daughter who lived in Kentucky and people had "stress" over tornado issues. "tornado stress disorder". I had another daughter living in Texas, where people had to deal with strong dry winds a good part of the year (they would have to stay indoors when they had dust storms). "dry wind disorder" I think some people are pre-programmed to think Oregon does not get enough light because there are so many cloudy days. ALL I was trying to say was that during those many "cloudy" days, there are also tons of blue sky breaks and sun breaks. I live in Salem during the week, so I am aware of valley weather. I think when you hear about rainy Oregon, some people are going to be affected by that thought, but there could really by many, many other emotional factors involved.
Yes, but your examples of "tornado stress disorder" and "dry wind disorder" are made up. SAD is actually a real disorder caused by lack of sunlight. So try to come up with some factual examples to illustrate your point.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 AM

I am just being facetious there, however one CAN find a study proving about anything you want. I actually took a class on that in college. Pick any subject.

What I am trying to say is that if Oregon's weather (too much rain) gets one down, then think of the parched areas of the world where they have no water...or remember what LA's water TASTES like...jog on a treadmill or go fast walking around a mall, or anything else to get those endorphins going. FACT: There is no place on earth which is perfect. Any place you live will have some negatives for anyone...albeit all different depending on one's own pyche, current emotional conditions, or thoughts. But, for heaven's sake! Look around! Oregon is spectacularly beautiful! Beauty just abounds everywhere. I have traveled all over the US...Oregon is a paradise. Appreciate it!!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I agree with Steve's post; after all, it simply illustrated that different people have different sensitivies.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
This is getting funny, really... you are all right IMHO. We get Vit. D from sunlight, and when we don't get enough Vit. D we suffer. They call this SAD. My doctor has said that even people who live in sunny climates - but who stay indoors so much that they don't receive enough sunlight - also may suffer from SAD. There are vitamins (Vit. D or a multiple vitamin supplement containing vit. d) that you can take to prevent this from happening.

And there are names for disorders of all kinds of things... I laughed out loud when I heard of "restless leg syndrome" but it's supposedly a real disorder some people suffer from.

Everybody knows the Pacific Northwest has long bouts of rainy, wet, cloudy, grey weather with lots of moss, mud, and trees because of it. I don't know why people constantly debate it, question it, or try to deny or hide it. It's a reality here. It's like debating whether it gets sunny in Hawaii, or whether water is wet.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:10 PM

ALL I was saying is that when you see "cloudy" as an Oregon forecast, it can have sunbreaks and blue sky with "cloudy". I AM NOT DEBATING ANYTHING! I was merely stating a FACT. I see 100% cloudy as the stated condition for my town and then LOOK OUT THE WINDOW and still see some blue sky. I was not debating or manipulating. I was LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW and seeing beautiful clouds with mixed in blue when the reports said 100% cloudy. I was only stating that it isn't necessarily only cloudy. You people are ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
The tendency to deny the weather-obvious in Oregon is an odd phenomenon. I'm from Texas; you tell me or other Texans that it's hot in Texas, and we say, "Yup, it sure it." Because it is. But you tell an Oregonian, "It's cloudy in Oregon," and they go into the minutae of "NO, in between that 99.999% cloud cover there's a little blot of blue one pixel wide." I chalk it up to different regions, different cultures...different personalities.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
The tendency to deny the weather-obvious in Oregon is an odd phenomenon. I'm from Texas; you tell me or other Texans that it's hot in Texas, and we say, "Yup, it sure it." Because it is. But you tell an Oregonian, "It's cloudy in Oregon," and they go into the minutae of "NO, in between that 99.999% cloud cover there's a little blot of blue one pixel wide." I chalk it up to different regions, different cultures...different personalities.
Howdy! I'm a native Texan, too. And I agree with you... I don't know if it's that we're more simple and straight forward sort of people, or if we just are more realistic... but we certainly don't waste time debating what's already obvious. I honestly may not miss living in Texas much, as I do love it out here in the Pacific Northwest, and haven't seen a flying waterbug or cockroach since we left Texas, but I certainly miss those wonderful Texas attitudes and people! Texans are among my top favorite people on the planet.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Howdy! I'm a native Texan, too. And I agree with you... I don't know if it's that we're more simple and straight forward sort of people, or if we just are more realistic... but we certainly don't waste time debating what's already obvious. I honestly may not miss living in Texas much, as I do love it out here in the Pacific Northwest, and haven't seen a flying waterbug or cockroach since we left Texas, but I certainly miss those wonderful Texas attitudes and people! Texans are among my top favorite people on the planet.
There appear to be a lot of Texas ex-pats up here, although I see them more in passing (on these boards, on the roads with Texas-related bumper stickers/license plates) than face-to-face. I certainly don't miss the constant heat of TX - it is nice going out to my car in the morning and not already be sweating by the time I get in it. And the geography of the Pac NW is in my opinion the best in the USA, bar none. But I agree with you in that you'd be hard-pressed to find folks like Texans anywhere else. A co-worker (native NW) who travels all over the country has told me that Texas men are BY FAR the friendliest in the country (generally friendly, not flirting)...she rates them even above the deep South cities. And she said this in regard to guys in DALLAS! Wonder what she'd think around 100% Texans!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:19 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
There's a very similar thread - How Do You Survive Portland Fall/Winter/Spring. Same ol' stuff. The sun's out now, gotta go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon