Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,679 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking to move back to the Northwest (as I am from Alaska) to a small to medium sized town/city (6-25,000) outside of either Bellingham, Seattle, Portland, Corvallis, or Eugene - preferably outside of Bellingham or Portland. I am looking for a place that has lots of vegetation/trees etc as I love nature, I'm also looking for a friendly town with lots or at least some live music and fun things to do, and hopefully a college or community college. I am a performing singer/songwriter and artist - but don't want to live right IN the city, just outside of one.
Thank You, V.Reed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,941 times
You will likely find more work in a big city like Portland than living in a smaller city like Eugene or Corvallis. Living around Portland or Seattle would probably work best for you in the long run. Recreation abounds in both areas.

Feel free to use the Forum Search engine to look at the pros and cons of both areas.

Welcome to the Oregon Forum.

Dan

Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Cottage Grove is a pretty nice small city outside of Eugene a few miles. Population is somewhere around 8,000 for Cottage Grove. It's green with trees.
Portland is surrounded by suburbs or you could go further out. I guess it depends on how far you want to be away from the center of Portland. If I were you I'd take a look at a Portland area map to get some ideas.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM

540 posts, read 2,174,190 times
If I may offer a brief pitch for the mid-valley. Albany has almost everything you are looking for. Small town (about 45,000), River Rhythyms in the summer time offers a series of free concerts at Monteith Park (we've had some name bands like Sugarland, Jefferson Airplane, and others in the past few years), Close to Corvallis so you have the University atmosphere as well as access to Linn Benton Community College for a more reasonably priced higher education.
MacDonald Forest is really close, as is Mary's Peak, with close access to both coast and mountain (1.5 hours in either direction).
The mid-Willamette Valley has lots to offer and is often overlooked by people who don't know about it. Check us out!

DavePautsch

Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 PM

291 posts, read 710,700 times
Villa, McMinnville OR fits all your criteria. pop 30,000. Linville College and Chemeketa CC. farmer's markets, wineries, performing arts theater.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 AM

12 posts, read 61,935 times
I'd suggest the McMinnville or Newberg, Oregon areas. They are both small towns...
My In-Laws live in Newberg and they love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon