Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM

36 posts, read 118,762 times

Advertisements

So I've been reading on another thread about the big one and tsunami risk on the Oregon Coast. What I haven't been able to figure out is if it is less in some places than others, and if so, where?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
A tsunami from a major offshore quake might be up to 100ft. high. Thus, you might want to live somewhere that is at least 100ft. above the sea level.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 54,350 times
I thought of moving to the coast again as well. I lived in the Seaside area in my early 20s and have a lot of friends there. I was concerned about tsunamis and did some research. I realized that the earth quake that causes the tsunami is actually of more concern. Research the Juan de Fuca plate. oregongeology.com has a lot of good information. Also google "tsunami oregon coast" and you should get several reputable, scientific based websites.

After much research and consideration, I will not be moving there. Everyone should make their own choices though.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Considering the last time there was a tsunami that affected the Oregon coast was in 1700, I think it's one of those natual events that one should be aware of, but not allow to influence their life. It's pretty low on the natural disaster risk scale, IMO.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,524 times
Don't forget to consider the reality that it could possibly be hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of years before another tsunami hits. If ever. Try to apply a LITTLE common sense, for God's sake.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:20 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,389 times
I grew up in California and lived through earthquakes. Growing up, I remember hearing that California might fall into the ocean. One can be afraid of some kind of disaster no matter where you live. If you live life in fear, you will miss out.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
The last tsunami on the Oregon Coast was in 1964, as a result of the Alaskan Earthquake - the effects went all the way to California, killing several people in Oregon and California and doing millions of dollars in damage.

As a geologist who worked on the tsunami preparation issues, I can tell you that just dismissing a tsunami (major or minor) as something that might not happen for hundreds or thousands of years is foolish. On the other hand, knowing what the risks are, and preparing for them, can help mitigate the damage, and especially human cost.

For example, I live where earthquake and fire are strong possibilities, so I keep supplies on hand, have escape routes planned, know what I would grab and where I would go and how I would get in touch with family members.

Anyone on the west coast should be doing the same thing, as far as earthquakes.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 AM

378 posts, read 1,570,389 times
I agree that one should try and prepare for a disaster the best that you can. As far as living on the Oregon coast, I know where the evacuation sites are and how to get to them. I know what to look for (or hear) as far as the type of tsunami which might occur, so would know how to react. I know to have food/water in the pantry as the coast may be cut off for several weeks after a tsunami. As far as disaster thinking determining where one will live, the reality is that a major disaster can happen anywhere at any moment. There is no safe place on earth.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
The Cascadia Subduction zone will slip sooner or later, thats a given. The last time it slipped was a little over 300 hundred years ago, what they have found is this fault has a major quake about every 300 to 350 years. The problem with cities along the Oregon coast is: 1) they are low laying towns. 2) road access in these cities. Most of these cities the only access is from hwy 101. If a tsunami (the size predicted by the faulting of the Cascadia subduction zone) was to strike the Oregon coast it would destroy allot of hwy 101, leaving these towns only accessible by air.
One could count on the Chetco bridge being damaged, the Rouge River bridge at Gold Beach being damaged, ect.
At Gold Beach you have inland access via the Galice/Agness road providing the road wouldn't be washed out.
Thousands of residents along the Oregon coast could be stranded. So, yes, it is wise to prepare, just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: