Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 PM

177 posts, read 582,627 times

Advertisements

Thanks .. I'll write them down and look more into each. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Thanks very much, I'll look into them.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I agree with Rob. I love Newberg and can be in Portland in short order.
Sherwood is nice too. But Newberg has that small town feel. People are very friendly. It may not be-but it feels safe! I actually think it is a pretty safe place to live. I don't have kids in school but I hear the schools are really good here.
I've not seen any homeless people anywhere here.
The weather is awesome to me; but I'm not all that "into" sunshine".
Thanks! i'll check it out..

Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygib View Post
It's a good thing that you're coming out for a visit. I would encourage you to spend a few days around Grants Pass and Medford for yourself. I have been living in Grants Pass for just 6 months now, and am still trying to find the hordes of rednecks that some people warned about. I've found the people to be quite friendly and the living expenses quite reasonable. But then again I'm originally from Sacramento, and just about anywhere is an improvement over that place.

Medford is about twice the population of Grants Pass so has more opportunities for employment, and it's a very short drive to Ashland from there so you could enjoy Ashland without paying the high price of living there.

Also - there is a big difference between the winters of Portland and this area. Just read the differences on the pages here at this site for Portland and Grants Pass. Southern Oregon is warmer and gets less precipitation than Western or Northern Oregon. East of the Cascade mountain range is dryer yet, but quite a bit colder as well - Bend, Klamath Falls, for example. In fact if you don't mind cold winters with some snow and mild summers, you might consider Bend.

But unemployment is high all over Oregon. Last I heard it was 17% in Bend, 15% in Josephine County (Grants Pass), and not far from that around Medford (Jackson County). You would be wise to line up work before moving out here.

ETA: I think I have SAD too and would never even consider moving to any area with more precipitation than this for that reason. If you want quite a bit of sunshine and don't mind the cold in winter, you might seriously consider Bend. Too cold for me though.
I'll definitely look more into Bend. I've read that several places. My boyfriend Mike loves snow, too, so we wouldn't mind some of that as long as there is sunshine, too.
I will definitely line work up first. I have way too many bills to not. Mike will be going to college and using his GI bill for living expenses, so he won't necessarily need to worry about a job.
I think Grants Pass seems peaceful and a nice place to live from what I've read, and I like the thought of living in the middle of where I can explore both ways. I'll check it out more on my vacation this month. I wish Ashland want' so expensive. I just purchased tickets for that Shakespear Festivle while we're there.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Salem is a place I haven't looked into at all yet. I'll check it out...

Old 05-08-2009, 01:21 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Does Newberg just have more sunny days than other nearby cities?
cause there is plenty of sunshine here. I'm confused.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Does Newberg actually run together with the suburbs or is seperate from it all? I read it's only 20 min from Portland so is hard for me to believe it can be a seperate town that way without blending in with all the rest? It seems nice from what I've read, though.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Hmm I read that it on the main website that it is distinctly seperated with farmlands and forests. I'll have to look more into the colleges ... I see on there, but it's a Christian college it looks like. We aren't christians, but so far sounds interesting ...

Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
not sure what you mean by seperate. Going north on 99 from Newberg you drive a few minutes and are in Sherwood. Continue same direction and you're in Tualatin. Next is Tigard/Beaverton and in that area it's hard to tell which is which as they do blend and cross over. Next is Portland.
Head from Newberg in the opposite direction and you'll reach McMinville within a few minutes.
Newberg doesn't feel isolated.
George Fox University is here. I'm from the deep south originally and quite used to Bible thumpers. Haven't run into that here.
Also Providence Hospital is in Newberg. They have a web site where you can check for job openings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Does Newberg actually run together with the suburbs or is seperate from it all? I read it's only 20 min from Portland so is hard for me to believe it can be a seperate town that way without blending in with all the rest? It seems nice from what I've read, though.

Last edited by Élan vital; 05-08-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 01:59 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
You'll have to get a feel for the place when you get there. Bend is very nice, and sunnier.

One thing I might add though is that both Medford, and Bend are harder to get in and out of as far as air travel. If you're flying to MO to see family, that may become very expensive. Going from one smaller city to another is $$$$$ So Portland might be a better fit.

As to the sun, or lack of it, I personally would rather live in a place that gets moisture, than one that doesn't. With the rain, comes clouds. MI also is VERY sun-deprived. I tell you what though, those of us in places like these know how to celebrate beautiful days! To me, it's not a deal breaker at all, but I know it is for some.

I know I said that Portland would be better for airport, but having said that, you may have an easier time finding work in a place that isn't as attractive to live in... a small town, just because rural areas are really hurting for health care professionals.

And from what I've heard, the traveling nurse/medical worker gig isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Most people I know who do it only last a year or less, because it's so stressful. Only exception... New Orleans. The lack of health care workers there makes working on staff at a hospital a nightmare. Traveling RN's get to have more say on how many hours and shifts they work. Go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon