Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2006, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 49,616 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say a big THANKS to you both for replying so speedily. I think my husband and I are the only Californian's that 1)like RAIN 2)like friendly people 3)like cooler weather all yr. round and 4)like to smile a lot and be polite and courteous to other people. One advantage I found while visiting was the fact that we could walk through that Super Walmart without some crazy, way too in a hurry and huff person push us outta the way. I love the slower pace, because being out here... we're not in a hurry like everyone else. Where we live EVERYONE always has a place to go at the same time, all the time and no one likes each other. If you're not getting the bird on the way to our Walmart, then it's a good day.

Funnily enough, we live about 10 min. (by car) from the Walmart and because of traffic it takes 30. It's just outrageous. But it's all right, we can deal with the goal to move soon. Rain is noooo problem, we love rain. Where we are, there aren't any seasons. So we're either in slighty cooler summer, or summer. The hottest it's been here was 115 and if you like humidity then this is the place to live. Clear2Land, been to Murrieta? HOT, right? Good for you for moving back! I bet you're looking forward to it!

Other than all that... we have a great church can't complain. There are always things you'll like and dislike no matter where you are, this area is no different than everywhere else. I would just like cooler weather mostly for my hubby, because as a (future) general contractor he works outside most of the time (he's currently in construction now, and owns his own painting business). So it would be a definite plus for him! If anyone would like to offer any more POSITIVE (please ) info that'd be great! And thanks again for the replies! Looking forward to talking with you more! Thanks!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:36 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Scaryshar16 , MariaTheresa, Organic Mama, Chaparral, I like you guys!! You all sound very friendly, down to earth, and happy here. Very cool that you all live here in Oregon!!! MariaTheresa, it sounds like you would enjoy Oregon. Please dont let the comments of certain negative people on this forum scare you away! dont picture Oregonians of standing along the States borders with pitchforks trying to stab people away from moving here! lol. If you can, try to come out and visit both in each season. But especially in the fall/winter. Make sure you dont mind all the rain/grey skies we do have quite often in those seasons. Typically, I try to encourage people to rent first too for a few months, not only to check out the state, but also the paticular city/town they are wanting to live in. Oregon has its poverty drug stricken towns just like everywhere else. There are definatly cities/towns I would NOT live in! Also, you'll get to chose, do you want to live in more dry deserty towns, or along the coast? In more urban or a sprawling farmland? Up along Mount Hood among trees that are big enough to camp in if hollowed out or along one of the many rivers/streams/creeks where you can catch all the crawdad/trout/salmon/whatever you want. We have secluded lake houses and ultramodern condos. - so much to choose from. And ya, the people around you should influence you greatly. I can tell you, most smaller towns have 'welcome wagons" where someone actually brings you a basket of samples/coupons/information packets when you move there. Or nosy neighbors who will come over and offer to help. My new neighbor here actually offered the use of her kitchen too since all our stuff was still packed away somewhere and the oven was on the fritz. Ya, you'll run into ignorant buttheads, but hopefully few and far between.
btw, i had to water my plants again today, been too long w/o rain!! lol
Tiffany

Thanks, Tiffany! I know I will love Oregon. I can't wait to move! We will be renting for awhile before we settle in- yes, good advice.

I am so happy to know I will be around good people again! That is THE MOST important thing to me... I grew up in a small town, and then moved to Detroit 2 years ago- worst mistake of my life. When I tried to smile at people in the grocery store or spark up a conversation, they looked at me like I was crazy! Oh, I hate it here so much...

I have had some "crappy" jobs in my life, like cooking in a restaurant, but some of them were the best jobs I ever had- all because of the people I worked with. I think the same thing goes for where you live.

I was kinda worried for a bit, but you set my heart at ease. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 PM

17 posts, read 55,288 times
Well Klamath Falls is BOOMING with construction! So painters would not be far behind.
Your husband might look into a company call CCorp, they are the ones putting in the 1/2 million homes in The running Y Resort, lots of $$$ homes and more. They have to import dry wallers!!
Klamath Falls is nice, but stays colder than most areas. I am already dreading Fall. But our Jobs, family and overall friendliness keeps us here.
Plus all the different types of scenery. Mountains, Lakes, High desert just so much to see!!
Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for, it takes some getting use too, especially in the winter.
Sherry

Old 09-04-2006, 09:20 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Hi Ssrafferty, I actually live in Coos County, and my inlaws live in Florence. (Florence is in Lane county btw. )If you want to pm me, Id be happy to answer any questions you might have and/or get you some links to our area.
We dont have any blistering hot days, weve had a few in the 80s this summer, thats been the warmest here. It does rain a lot, but it hasnt rained here in a couple of weeks, (and I live directly across the road from the bay/ocean. I can toss rocks in it) but boy, when winter hits, it rains A LOT!! Not too much flooding though, the sand soaks a lot of it up. Some flooding downtown on 101 and a few other roads though. If you decide to move here, check w/locals to find out exactly where the flood plains are. Then buy well away from them!! There are some very incredible homes here, lots of character and charm. IF you have the $$. To be honest, its hard to make a living here unless you have some specific skills and/or already come w/a job secured. Otherwise, there are plenty of min. wage jobs here. Our local paper is online, you can view it by looking up Theworldlink.com - that'll give you some ideas on homes/jobs/etc. around here. The fresh crab is WONDERFUL!! I love being able to go down to the docks, greet the people at the little local crab shack by name, and pick out my crabs, still live and kicking. They cook/clean if you want and will sit and chat w/you about the kids/pets/weather/whatever while it cooks. Life can be very good here.
You might want to check it out here during our more nasty months. Dec/Jan would be good. It rains most of the time, the wind can seem endless (ya, tie down the garbage can lids!!) and the sky is grey a lot. On the upside, some of the storms can toss some treasures on the beaches. And if you like to avoid crowds theres nothing like a romantic walk along the beach w/someone you love when its grey and drizzeling and its nothing but you two and the seabirds on the beach.Then pop into one of the little resturants/cafes to get a bite to eat/something hot to drink. --
I will say, theres not much shopping here around town. a lot of us go into Eugene to shop for much more than the staples.(school clothes, special occasion wear, etc) We do have a Superwalmart, a FredMeyers, BiMart, Safeway, Albertsons, McDs, that kinda thing, and FINALLY a Starbucks (yeah!!) Oh, and a small mall (pony village, you can look it up online and see what stores we have. ) I sorely miss Applebys, Olive Garden and BIG malls, but hey, a slower pace of life and fresh crab make it worth it. Good luck, and again, please feel free to pm me.
Tiffany
SSRaferty:

Tiffany here represents Oregonians quite nicely. Even without reading between her lines, you can pick up her friendliness and Oregon charm. In this particular thread, most of the complaining is coming from only a handful of people that I say do not represent the true Oregon spirit. I still carry mine around with me and get in trouble with it occassionally. I got called on the carpet at the San Diego Aerospace Museum for calling a little girl on my tour sweetheart. I addressed her incorrectly, I was told. I got that from my mother who still calls little kids darling and sweetheart. Enought of that. All I wanted to say was Tiffany IS the typical Oregonian. Oregon is very nice but its residents are even nicer.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM

Clear2Land, seriously though every Oregonian I've come in contact with have been the nicest! I can't believe how friendly people are there! To prove that, my grandmother went to a restaurant with the fam for dinner and forgot her purse there, they held it there and waited until she came back! Nothing was gone! Now tell me when that happens in CA. NEVER!

oh and BTW... you being nice to someone here is NOT a bad thing. CA people are paranoid. I've called little kids honey and sweetheart and I get the same reaction. More like a "You're not allowed to call my kid that... you're not family" kinda look.

Last edited by ssrafferty; 09-04-2006 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 PM

Smile Hi MariaTherese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I like you guys!

Now I know I will fit right in in Oregon. I am constantly defending my "backwoods" northern Michigan roots to my fellow Detroiters. I have to get out of this hellhole city. I can't live among these people who don't smile at each other as they walk by, who judge others based on material possessions, and look out only for their best interests.

Everyone talks about jobs, economy, weather, etc on these forums. All I want is just a place where I can be part of a contributing member of a real community, a place with forward thinking, a place with beautiful surroundings, a place with down-to-earth people.

I am scared, though- scared that there may be people who won't welcome me because I am a relocator.

I understand the situation all too well, as the area I am from is experiencing much the same thing- people are flocking there and natives are trying to cope with the change- they just want to keep there home beautiful as it is!

And I'm all for that! I want to move to Oregon because of what is beautiful about it.

I hope I am welcome in Oregon!
I know exactly how you feel! My husband and I are looking to move too and we were thinking that until we visited. There's no one that we came in contact with there that was like that! Good luck on the move!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrafferty View Post
I know exactly how you feel! My husband and I are looking to move too and we were thinking that until we visited. There's no one that we came in contact with there that was like that! Good luck on the move!
Thanks! I'm feeling so much better about it already, thanks to you all!

Old 09-06-2006, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Roseburg is a good market still and growing. Check out www.winchesterridgeestates.com

Old 09-06-2006, 10:10 PM

33 posts, read 158,643 times
I was born and raised in Oregon, and i couldn't of said it better then this
Quote:
The downside, is many of the people who have moved here from California (especially southern for some reason) tend to be very rude, stuck up, and even after years of living here, still call themselves Californians saying "I'll NEVER be an Oregonian! Im better than that" Ive delt with so many who will out and out say that anyone born and raised in Oregon is beneath them. That attitude, i just dont understand and have gotten sick of trying to tolerate.
I moved to Northern Cali. (Chico)in 98 then to New Mexico (las Cruces) and i do not miss the rain or the cloudy days that seem to never end. All of my family still lives in Oregon, so i visit twice a year at lease, and i have 2 words that i think fit the bill for oregon (Cluster...)

Last edited by Marka; 04-29-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqtchef View Post
I was born and raised in Oregon, and i couldn't of said it better then this

I moved to Northern Cali. (Chico)in 98 then to New Mexico (las Cruces) and i do not miss the rain or the cloudy days that seem to never end. All of my family still lives in Oregon, so i visit twice a year at lease, and i have 2 words that i think fit the bill for oregon (Cluster...)
I was born and raised in Oregon and have lived in San Diego for 20 yeasrs. I have never met a Californian who was stuck up, rude, or anything of the like. I have never in my 20 years heard one word of profanity from a Californian. They are some of the best people I have ever met. I can complain about our state government but I have no complaints about San Diegans. There were at one time some hicks living in Oregon. The last I heard, most have moved away.

Last edited by Marka; 04-29-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon