Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple (27/31yo) currently living in a small town in Southwestern Colorado. We would really like to move to Oregon in the next year or so and think the Willamette Valley would fit the bill for us. We would like a small town 25,000 pop or less. We live close to Durango, Colorado and like the vibe of that town a lot but would like to be in an area with more agriculture. We would love to live in a town with farmers markets, organic grocery stores, bookstores, open minded friendly people & vineyards (Just a general idea of what we are into). I am a Dental Hygienist and my boyfriend is a Chef so employment is a major concern. We also have two dogs. We don't mind living in small places with someplace for dogs, rent in the $1000ish range would be good. So far I really like Silverton but worry jobs could be an issue. I have also looked into Forest Grove... We are thinking of visiting Oregon in September to check out places. I would like to know what its like for young people in these areas. Any perspective on other places in the Valley would be great too! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 03:02 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
Jobs should be the deciding factor. You can't just pick a place and hope for work. The towns you are seeking are the hardest for even the locals to find work. You might check Dallas or Independence as there are jobs for both of you in Salem about 15 to 25 minutes away. The dogs could be another issue. Some breeds are not favored, if allowed at all, in most rentals. And two dogs are often two strikes in finding a place you want to live in.

Silverton could be a good choice also, but don't expect work in town. Again Salem is a short direct drive away. You will also find the same aversion to some breeds of dog in Silverton.

I am not sure what being young has to do with it unless you have a problem with seniors or are trying to get into a 55+ facility.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:28 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,760 times
McMinnville might work, some pretty upscale restaurants because of the wine country, great small farmers mkt., not sure about book stores. I adore Silverton but it's going to have fewer job opportunities.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:28 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Silverton has the Silverton grocery which has some organic options. The town is only 9,000 people or so though. They have the Garden Ripe CSA there which is organic but they get their berries from Nanneman's which isn't organic. They also have their Saturday Farmer's market. It's a great small town very walkable. I think it likely that both of you would have to work in Salem though. Finding a rental in Silverton will be hard. There just aren't many of them and you have two dogs.

I'd also look into McMinnville. It is about 32,000. It's a cute town in the middle of wine country. They have Harvest Fresh there which is a nice little organic grocery store in town. Every city in the valley has farmer's markets. It is about a 30 minute commute from there to Salem if you couldn't find jobs there. I have younger friends that live there and really like it.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM

41 posts, read 122,140 times
I would second McMinnville. I have an Aunt who's taught at Fort Lewis College for decades and we visited Durango a few years ago. Really enjoyed the restaurants and shops on Main and the steam train to Silverton. The coast is only a 50 mile drive from here with lots of small shops and restaurants as well. In Mcminnville we have Harvest Fresh Groceries and Parkway Health Foods just for starters. Surrounded by agriculture with farms and vineyards and plenty of farm stores.
Just 5-10 minutes out of town in almost any direction and you are in rural countryside. 30 minutes to Salem and 45 minutes to Portland where you can find most anything you are shopping for. Whole foods and REI near Tigard/Portland
and just a 40 min drive from McMinnville.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy86 View Post
We are a young couple (27/31yo) currently living in a small town in Southwestern Colorado. We would really like to move to Oregon in the next year or so and think the Willamette Valley would fit the bill for us. We would like a small town 25,000 pop or less. We live close to Durango, Colorado and like the vibe of that town a lot but would like to be in an area with more agriculture. We would love to live in a town with farmers markets, organic grocery stores, bookstores, open minded friendly people & vineyards (Just a general idea of what we are into). I am a Dental Hygienist and my boyfriend is a Chef so employment is a major concern. We also have two dogs. We don't mind living in small places with someplace for dogs, rent in the $1000ish range would be good. So far I really like Silverton but worry jobs could be an issue. I have also looked into Forest Grove... We are thinking of visiting Oregon in September to check out places. I would like to know what its like for young people in these areas. Any perspective on other places in the Valley would be great too! Thanks!
You just perfectly described Ashland, although it's rather expensive and not in the Willamette Valley. Jobs would be #1. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Let me throw my hat in here.

If you want to be close to Portland, I would second the McMinnville idea. Silverton is also a nice little town. Here are a few others....

Dallas- nice little bedroom commnuity to Salem. Quiet and peaceful and Salem offers jobs.

Cottage Grove- About 20 miles south of Eugene (Oregon's second largest city). Close to jobs, the beach and mountains.

Grants Pass- Southern Oregon and a very nice little community. Good area to be a hygienist but my be tough for a chef.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
I would like to see Dallas be more than a bedroom community, but the
Mayor has another vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon