Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 29,022 times

Advertisements

I was just looking over Sperlings Best and they state that Sandy Ore
gets 80" of rain per yr.Does this seem right?
I know Oregon is rainy but 80" is a LOT of rain.
Is there anyone here who lives in Sandy and can tell me about this?
Does it rain longer,harder,more days than other areas?
Thanks
indigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,272 times
yes that's true for the annual average. I don't think it'll get above 50" this year though.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Why don't you think there will be more than 50" this year?
Has the rain pattern been changing?
I'm considering a place about 8 miles east of Sandy.
Do you live in or near Sandy?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM

One more question.
I looked at the weather for next week and it will be in the high 80's to low 90's for about 10 days.Is this type of heat normal for Sandy in the summer?
When I researched online it said that Sandy average summer was about 81/81 but this year has been horrible heat.I realize there was a heat wave all
over the NW but the heat is returning to Sandy with a vengance.
Comments?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,272 times
Well it's only rained about 20" in Portland so far this year and the number in Sandy probably isn't far from that. This year has just been very dry, with only May having above normal rainfall. That's just this year though. The next chance at some really steady rain won't come until October or even November. Until then, it'll just be small amounts. Except last night we got a lot of rain.

I live pretty close to Sandy..about 25 miles south.

High 80s and low 90s is normal for Sandy in the summer, even though it is "above the average" temperature. It's not consistently hot like that though. It can be in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 100s in the summer for high temps. 70s and 80s are the most common, with 90s slightly less common and 60s and 100s the least common.

It's a weird climate.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
High 80s and low 90s is normal for Sandy in the summer, even though it is "above the average" temperature. It's not consistently hot like that though. It can be in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 100s in the summer for high temps. 70s and 80s are the most common, with 90s slightly less common and 60s and 100s the least common.

It's a weird climate.
That's because it's a rain forest, one of three north of the Equator.

Portland's average rainfall is only 36.3 inches per a year, technically less then many other areas of the US. 80 inches in Sandy is not that much more. It's in the mountains about 700 feet above Portland, so the clouds are dumping more rain on that area as they rise to get above the mountains.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
The reason why Sandy gets so much rain is that it is on the west slope of the Cascades. The winds (almost always) come from the west, from the Pacific Ocean. When clouds are pushed up against the mountians they drop moisture. Take a look at communities on the east slope of the Cascades and you will see that they receive relatively little moisture, further east the climate is almost arid.

Now look at Wmt. Valley communities on the east slope of the Coast range, they are dryer than Sandy but not as dry as say Bend or Redmond. This is because the Coast Range is lower thus less moisture has been removed from the clouds.

There is an excellent book on weather in Oregon and Washington written by a Phd meteorologist at the U of WA.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 PM

20 posts, read 107,287 times
Default Rain in Sandy Oregon!!! Hot Days in Sandy Oregon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
That's because it's a rain forest, one of three north of the Equator.

Portland's average rainfall is only 36.3 inches per a year, technically less then many other areas of the US. 80 inches in Sandy is not that much more. It's in the mountains about 700 feet above Portland, so the clouds are dumping more rain on that area as they rise to get above the mountains.
Want something interesting to read about Oregon weather? Google Bruce Johnson, who has lots to say and alot of stats. He's done the research and quotes the Atmospheric Sciences experts at the Univ. of Washington in doing so. I never had so great an understanding as when I read his articles. You'll get into the main article and then there are hyperlinks that will give you even more information. It helps to expain a land of extremes that is often quoted as having a "mild climate". In moving back home 6 yrs. ago to Portland area I have to say that there is nothing "mild" about the climate, in our opinion. People tend to get frustrated and a bit punchy after so much ice, or so much gray, intense and heavy rainfall which can last for months with very few breaks, etc. I hope this helps you and anyone else who is trying to figure out the weather - especially in the western half of both Oregon and Washington states! Enjoy the read!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Bruce Johnson is the writer I had in mind. His book is excellent!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon