Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:30 AM

12 posts, read 83,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swokm View Post
Bend seems to be liberal with a conservative element that is about half retired owners of $1million+ homes and half cultural import from the rural east half of the state. Oddly, I never hear much of anything about Salem.

Sorry for veering off-topic now and then -- good luck, veggiecook!
Bend was originally conservative like most of eastern Oregon and is starting to swing towards the liberal side with the huge influx of new people. Despite these changes, it is quite inaccurate to make it sound like it is inherently liberal with some conservatives. The closest other places that you could call liberal are at least two hours away, so the parts of Bend that are liberal are on basically on island. It seems to me that any of the long time residents of Bend tend to be more Republican, have sons/daughters serving in the armed forces and don't feel that connected to western Oregon's politics.

Also, I want to correct what somebody said. The closest airport is Bend/Redmond (RDM) which is 17 miles away (and very, very tiny). Portland International is about 166 miles, so I would not call it close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 12:14 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britgirl View Post
Totally agree with Alexious.......I have been to Bend and loved it for the sunshine - stay away from the Oregon Coast, it is liberal but you will have 9-10 months of grey. Check out my other post about the Oregon Coast and you'll get my drift.

Bend is great though, nr mountains & rock climbing, diverse & trendy, plenty of sunshine, decent shops & resturants, a farmers market etc etc.....Seems to be the best fit plus you'll be close enough to Portland International Airport (PDX) for flying. It is pricey though. I can guarantee you will hate the coast because of the weather alone. I do and would head to Bend in a heartbeat but our jobs are here on the coast. You could always buy an RV or Travel Trailer and come to the coast often. You would be doing the opposite to us, we like to head inland for the sunshine and heat.
No doubt. Not as much grey in Bend - but maybe chapped lips and months of chilly weather.

Hood River won't fit the bill - and especially not Pendleton.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 AM

22 posts, read 121,438 times
Default hood river

why not hood river?

Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,836 times
Default eugene is the greattest little big town

There is some rain, and some fog in and around eugene but... just a couple of miles up the road on hwy 58 is mountain biking, water skiing, fishing, snow skiing, and above the fog line. There are lake veiw lots and homes that take your breath away. Plus, the sunsets that are amazing! Univ. of Oregon and downtown eugene is just 15 minutes away! And the temp. is around 80 in the summer time.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 AM

18 posts, read 87,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarderJack View Post
Also, I want to correct what somebody said. The closest airport is Bend/Redmond (RDM) which is 17 miles away (and very, very tiny). Portland International is about 166 miles, so I would not call it close.
I never said PDX was the closest, I did say however "you'll be close enough to Portland International Airport (PDX) for flying". PDX really isn't that far and you'll have way better choices. For someone who flys International all the time and also to the East Coast I wouldn't dream of flying out of the local Bend Airport or any local Airport for that matter. Local airports are always way more expensive. If money is no object then great fly from Bend. But most people have a budget. My parents are flying to the USA to visit me in September, I am driving the 7-8 hours to Vancouver, BC, Canada because my parents pay half the price for flights including a night in a hotel and me driving a big truck both ways to pick them up, so even with the Gas, Time Loss and the Hotel it is still cheaper by $200.00 each for them to fly into a large International Airport like Vancouver, BC. Even Seattle is worth the drive for International flights and I wouldn't even dream of flying out of a small local airport to the East Coast. 166 miles is close by the West's standard. For me it is not an issue but if someone is not use to driving distances or flying regularly then I could see why someone would think 166 miles is a long way.

Just to add another quick note, I hate the fact that I can't fly direct out of PDX to London so we are wanting to move closer to more International Airports and be closer to my husbands family. We are wanting to move to North-East Tennessee which will allow me to travel direct to London from 4 diffrent Airports. Atlanta, GA will be a five hour drive, Charlotte, NC will be a 3 hour drive, Washington-Dulles will be about 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive and Baltimore will be aprox 6 1/2 hour drive. These distance are nothing for us having lived in the Pacific North West and use to driving vast distances. The local airport where we want to move to is way more expensive and most people who live there have commented that they drive to Nashville to fly out of because of price savings even though it is 250 miles away.

At the end of the day I never said PDX was the closest I just said it was close enough which it is.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I like Hood River / White Salmon... But would choose to go towards Parkdale or Trout Lake (little less trendy / $$ than HR, closer to Mtn.)

HR is premium priced, but I would look around and dig under rocks for some bargains, I'm sure there are some available. It is hard to find 'fixer' homes, as many wanna-be contractors / home-owners going this route.

It is nice to be 1hr (ez, unless freezing rain ~ 1=2 weeks / yr) from PDX. It is then 1.5 hrs to nice coastal spots, but living in HR = very little rain, plenty of wind.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I like Hood River / White Salmon... But would choose to go towards Parkdale or Trout Lake (little less trendy / $$ than HR, closer to Mtn.)

HR is premium priced, but I would look around and dig under rocks for some bargains, I'm sure there are some available. It is hard to find 'fixer' homes, as many wanna-be contractors / home-owners going this route.

It is nice to be 1hr (ez, unless freezing rain ~ 1=2 weeks / yr) from PDX. It is then 1.5 hrs to nice coastal spots, but living in HR = very little rain, plenty of wind.
WHY do you like Hood River, janB? I've had people telling me it doesn't fit my profile? Are there a good number of liberal types in their late 20's? Is there a job market in vegetarian foods/b&b's? What are the winters like (cloudy, rainy, snowy). Is is super touristy b/c of the wineries? What is the community like?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM

Default portland outliers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
I have to dissagree with Ashland due to the people who reside there. Way too snooty. Even in a vegetarian restaurant the workers act like they have just won an Oscar. In my opinion, Portland is the best place in Oregon. Wonderful people who actually smile. Eugene is 2nd, but the city itself doesn't have much personality if you ask me. Very nice people though.
What is just outside of Portland? sprawling suburbs or country side? Is it possible to have a few acres outside of the city to have a sort of rural refuge from the city?
thanks for all the input!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 PM

46 posts, read 155,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiecook View Post
What is just outside of Portland? sprawling suburbs or country side? Is it possible to have a few acres outside of the city to have a sort of rural refuge from the city?
thanks for all the input!
we were not looking for land, so I can't help you there.

I'd say that if you have money anything is possible.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 PM

9 posts, read 34,781 times
"Liberal" isn't a word that pops up when thinking of Oregon.. I just moved *back* to California from Oregon. The only place you'll find any diversity -- either in thought, politics or ethnicity -- is in the large cities.

Check it out thoroughly before taking the plunge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon