Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 PM

21 posts, read 65,023 times

Advertisements

I think if you don't "smell" Albany, it's akin to not noticing your own bad breath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:08 AM

177 posts, read 582,627 times
cool,thanks =)

Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
I lived in Corvallis for over 10 years, and toward the end of that time we seriously started considering a move to Albany to get more home for our money. We didn't really see any downside other than the commute to Corvallis which really isn't bad, particularly from North Albany.

That said, I think the job situation in the mid-Willamette Valley is pretty dire. When I lost my job in early 2008 (before the economic "S" really started hitting the fan), and I couldn't find anything other than a temporary (11-month) job in Salem that would have been a 30% cut in pay and an hourlong commute each way. Fortunately I secured a job in Portland in the summer of 2008 before the economy grew even worse. We didn't want to leave Corvallis, it was an economic necessity for us.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM

15 posts, read 41,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It takes 35 minutes to get to Salem from Corvallis. It really depends on where you live in Corvallis. There is Linn-Benton Community College right on 99 that is easily accessed, but if you have to go through Corvallis to get across town (if you lived way on the west side towards Philomath), I could see it taking 35 minutes with stoplights and such.
only 35 minutes Google maps has it 50plus

Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,583 times
corvallis is a symbol of what oregon is all about. albany is not all bad cheaper than c town but lebanon,huh huh is hands-down the worst town in oregon. ive lived there before portland. its a small town where everybody knos eachother, but everybody there is addicted to meth or is a wanna b gangmember unless you are an elderly. my car got broken into more than it ever has in portland and i lived in one of the crummyest neiborhoods in portland.completely the crappyest town. no one should move let alone live there. go to corvallis that is close enough to lebanon u will drive by it eventually. same goes with sweet home. everybody there is a crackhead.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty77 View Post
I think if you don't "smell" Albany, it's akin to not noticing your own bad breath
Someone said the paper mill there had closed...true currently? Do you smell something bad when at the mall there presently? I am buying 2 houses next month - one to rent out - and I want to know to include Albany in my trip scheduling.

I found out about Lebanon being a bit, lets say, run down; Sweet Home is too far out; Corvallis is a possibility; but I really really like the good access to the 5fwy and know that Salem would be too big and too full of churches. Eugene is a possibility but its farther from Portland and then I can't so easily commute to Salem for work-related purposes.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM

256 posts, read 541,403 times
Corvallis is one of the best cities for schools and everything but that comes at a price. The great university and everything makes Corvallis Expensive. Just live in Albany but work and school in Corvallis

Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
The Paper Mill has been shut down for years. Now it is torn down. I think some people have long memories but no recent experience.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty77 View Post
No it really only takes 15 to 20 minutes to get to LBCC, but they have the Benton Center IN Corvallis which is LBCC's home away from home, so he might not even have to leave town depending on the classes he takes.

Again it depends on where you are coming from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon