Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzygirl1969 View Post
Thank you everyone for the great responses. The job issue is really something I need to seriously think about. There is nothing here in NY either and I'd be willing to take a job a just about anywhere. Its so bad here I might have to go on some kind of emergency assistance so I figured I'd rather be somewhere that I'd really like to be.
Your odds back east are far better then OR based on unemployment data.

If you're going to have to get assitance why would you squander money on a move, relocation expenses in an area where you have zero established network to get employed.

Think it through. Moderator cut: let's leave out the personal judgments please

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-20-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzygirl1969 View Post
Thank you everyone for the great responses. The job issue is really something I need to seriously think about. There is nothing here in NY either and I'd be willing to take a job a just about anywhere. Its so bad here I might have to go on some kind of emergency assistance so I figured I'd rather be somewhere that I'd really like to be.
If you need or may need to go on emergency assistance it is not a good time to move. Odds are if you do that where you are now it will work better for you than in Oregon where there have been cutbacks in assistance programs due to lack of funds. Do not move here thinking that getting assistance will be an alternative for you. You will be competing with the many people who have been laid off here and Oregon's unemployment has risen to 11% according to the latest issue of Craig Wessel's "Business Journal."

Oregon unemployment rate up slightly to 11% - Portland Business Journal:

Here's the bottom line; you say it's bad where you are but it's equally bad if not worse here. Why not do some research and seek out places where the employment rate is better? I realize it isn't really great anywhere but there are some cities that have better employment opportunities than others. There is no point going from the frying pan into the fire. Either way you can get burned.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I doubt the o.p. has decent chances of employment in either of the Dakota's, or, Wyoming, Montana, Vermont... just some of the places where the economy... hiring anyway is a bit better than average. The point is well taken but IMO to do nothing on City Data but post the same message over and over again is only reinforcing the despair for yourselves (you know who you are). There are fields of endeavour that cannot be offshored and in fact, even in PDX, are still hiring. Unemployment in PDX is 11%, not 100%. Agreed, in the present instance, a rethink is in order but it is simply becoming a knee jerk "stay away" whenever anyone inquires about moving here. Why is this a bad thing? Here's why. Oregon, Portland, must grow. How they grow, that's the rub. Do you want to scare all the reasonable people away and have growth sectors contain only the desperate? Growth is going to happen whether we want it to happen or not. Give people credit for having some intelligence. Also give people credit for having a sense of troll. Some of those people asking about the employment situation here know that that is exactly the way to get (you know who you are) certain people's juices flowing.

H

Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
IThe point is well taken but IMO to do nothing on City Data but post the same message over and over again is only reinforcing the despair for yourselves (you know who you are).
The replies her are hardly "reinforcing despair".

Most of the replies try to accurately portray the image that coming here and being able to land a good job quickly are statistically quite low without very specific skill sets and an extensive local network in place (you disagree???)

The replies also suggest that the best way to get a job is to come here in person, network, pound the pavement, meet FTF but have a backup plan before any major relocation commitments are made.

Instead of despair, I call is preparedness, seeking knowledge and proper planning. (ie hope for the best but plan for the worst).

Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Oregon’s Public assistance (emergency) payments and programs are some of the highest and most liberal in the country. For those who must go on the public dole, it is a good choice.

Although, in just Coos County (Rural) there are 800 people on a waiting list for public housing as of a couple of days ago. We have rentals and section 8, but we have no money for vouchers.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:32 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
I am a person of color...I grew up a little to the north east of Oregon...so I'm use to truly being 'a minority'...but while growing up, you don't notice it...not at all...cause it's all you know...
Yes, I had long haired white rocker friends, and jock friends and geeky friends and all the rest...but it seemed normal...

to go weeks or months without seeing other blacks or minorities...was just normal...

And then when I moved to the South...blacks everywhere...I mean everywhere...
It was almost the reverse...

I was homesick at first...but now I'm use to it...I actually find the south more open...than those cold nw states...cause down here racial diversity is apart of everyday life...up there it's a course you take in shcool...or a film you watch...

You have those hippie types up there that seem so free peace and love...but that's because their in all white areas...they've never really been challenged with diversity...

I would only move back out there if I won the lottery and were finacially independant...but if I had to depend on local people for help and a job...forget about it...

Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
The replies her are hardly "reinforcing despair".

Most of the replies try to accurately portray the image that coming here and being able to land a good job quickly are statistically quite low without very specific skill sets and an extensive local network in place (you disagree???)

The replies also suggest that the best way to get a job is to come here in person, network, pound the pavement, meet FTF but have a backup plan before any major relocation commitments are made.

Instead of despair, I call is preparedness, seeking knowledge and proper planning. (ie hope for the best but plan for the worst).
Yes! It's all about knowing what you are getting into. If someone asks about conditions an honest answer is needed. We are talking about the "now" and that "now" is simply not conducive for people to move here without at job or means of support. In my searching this forum to learn about other places to where I might want to move I appreciate people giving me their points of view. How I interpret them or apply them is up to me.

When I talk about the difficulties moving here without means of support, I am thinking about the marriages I have seen broken, families torn apart, people disheartened and the awful toll unemployment situation has taken on the lives of those who can't find a way to survive.

I have seen some successes but those have been among those who move here with jobs or good job prospects and planned ahead to provide themselves with means on which to live. So I don't believe it is impossible to succeed moving here. I have encouraged and answered questions from people who post they are moving here with a job or enough money to live on until they find one. People who have a plan.

It's the people who don't seem to be thinking it through I am concerned about.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,393 times
Woodstock Elementary in Portland also has a Mandarin Immersion program:

Woodstock Elementary School

Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM

211 posts, read 816,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Oregon’s Public assistance (emergency) payments and programs are some of the highest and most liberal in the country. For those who must go on the public dole, it is a good choice.

Although, in just Coos County (Rural) there are 800 people on a waiting list for public housing as of a couple of days ago. We have rentals and section 8, but we have no money for vouchers.
Excellent points. Maybe the OP should keep this in mind. Also, it's a lot less diverse than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon