Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 7,173 times

Advertisements

Good Morning, all. =) Not too familiar with these forums, but I needed some outside help on this one. My partner and I are dying to get out of FL, and have our eyes fairly set on OR, specifically the Portland area, but I've done a bit of research and have seen mixed reviews on it.

We're looking for a fairly quiet place, not too far from civilization (able to shop for food, other essentials), and yet not smack dab in the middle of chaos. Some place near the transit line would be good, affordable, clean, and as crime ridden as possible. Over-cast and rain does not bother us one bit; actually that's one of the reasons we want to move to Oregon, lol! My partner is a cyclist, and I'm an avid nature buff; an area with lots of green and beautiful scenery would definitely be a plus.

We're not much for the 'extreme partying night-life', so we could care less if the city has a vast amount of club sites or not. A cozy little bookstore, cafes, movie theater, mom and pop shops with the occasional mall and large grocery store would be ideal. I have a list of a few apartments that have caught my eye, specifically one in Portland.

I guess to wrap this all up, my main question is whether or not Portland is a good city to start a life in, (pros and cons, if you will), and what other cities you guys think would best suit my partner and I's general lifestyle, =). Any help would be greatly appreciated! And thank you so much for your time. Hope to hear from you!

Warm Regards,

Noir.

P.S.- Positive replies are much more welcomed than negative, bitter ones. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir. View Post
I guess to wrap this all up, my main question is whether or not Portland is a good city to start a life in.
Based on what you describe, Portland should be a good fit.

You didn't mention employment so I assume you're retired or don't need a job. Employment is a big showstopper for anyone needing to work.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Thank you for your reply, . Yes, we'll both need jobs. I forgot to mention that, . I have read that jobs are a bit hard to come by, but is it that way in all of Oregon, or just Portland? My partner is in the Tech industry, and I'm an Emergency Medical Technician, soon-to-be Paramedic. I appreciate your help!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,271 times
Employment prospects in Portland are very bad and the rest of the state is even worse. There are 1000's out of work in the tech sector.

You might be more marketable with EMT/Paramedic experience but it could still be tough.

The best advice is to come out here for several weeks, look around and start building a local network. (ex: schedule informational interviews with hospitals, clinics, ambulance companies, fire and rescue organizations, etc) It's virtually impossible to find work here via the out of state resume "spreading" process.

Either line up jobs before you move or prepare your financial plan so you can go a year or two without a paycheck while you try and line up work.

I'd also broaden your search significantly. Focusing on one specific area will greatly limit your chances of success.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM

I'll definitely keep all of that in mind. Thank you.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
and as crime ridden as possible.
I assume you mean crime free not crime ridden. Never met anyone that wants to live where there is a lot of crime.

I agree that Portland sounds like a good place for you guys. If he is an avid cyclist my hubby used to ride with the Portland Wheelman. They do serious rides. In fact one of their ride series is called the Torture Series.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM

LMAO yes, I meant crime free. My apologies on that, I was reading a thread that was talking about a crime ridden area, so I guess I wrote 'crime ridden' instead of crime free, =P. Thank you for the correction. Seems like Portland will be good for us. I will tell him about the cycling group you spoke of, .

Old 04-02-2010, 09:24 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,973 times
Quote:
....We're looking for a fairly quiet place, not too far from civilization (able to shop for food, other essentials), and yet not smack dab in the middle of chaos. Some place near the transit line would be good, affordable, clean, and as crime {free} as possible.

We're not much for the 'extreme partying night-life', so we could care less if the city has a vast amount of club sites or not. A cozy little bookstore, cafes, movie theater, mom and pop shops with the occasional mall and large grocery store would be ideal. I have a list of a few apartments that have caught my eye, specifically one in Portland......
Your request might be best met with Beaverton (West of Portland, and claims to be internationally diverse with great non-traditional food stores,) but then again Multnomah Village (reputed to be more Yuppie-Crunchy) might be a more expensive ($$$) fit.

But also look to Sellwood and Woodstock area.

Do a Google search for: Moving to Portland.
also this site:
Portland Oregon Guide |Portland Neighborhoods Guide {click on the Interactive Map link on L.H. side.}
and of course:
Neighborhood Maps and Boundaries

Aside: the above is for city of Portland, 'burbs don't show up on the above links.

From what you describe, avoid Hawthorne, the Pearl, SE-82nd, South Water Front (Liar's Hill,) and in general the urban areas of the inner East and West neighborhoods which are, as you expect, urban.

Phil

Old 04-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Thank you very much, Phil; very very helpful, =). I will add this to my notes, and research a little more on Beaverton. Thanks a mil, again!

~N.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon