Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 37,690 times

Advertisements

I am investigating a move to either Gold Beach or Port Orford. Based on things I have read in the threads, I have a few questions for which I would be grateful to receive answers.

Fog - does it settle into place and just sit there with no wind? Does the wind blow it away? Is it windy and foggy at the same time?

Shopping for necessities - how far a drive to the nearest larger shopping area? Which town is that?

Wind - just how windy is it? I do not see that as a bad thing, but am looking for something to give me an idea of what we would be dealing with.

Humidity - does the humidity make the weather always feel cold, even in summer?

Rain - is there a rainy season in particular? Or can you pretty much expect rain all year round? Does it truly rain every day?

Washouts on 101 - I have read of references to washouts along 101. How frequently does this happen? More information on this would be appreciated. Do these washouts occur in one stretch primarily? What stretch of highway would that be?

Airports - I have to fly to San Francisco once a month for meetings. Where would be the nearest airport?

Demographics - a lot of threads have mentioned that these two towns are retirement country. Any young people?

Cost of food and gas?

Summer temp. highs? Winter temp. lows?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 12,167 times
Port Orford or Gold Beach ?

Speaking as a 40+ year resident, I suggest checking out Michelle Duarte's extensive website:

Enjoy Port Orford - overlooking Oregon's spectacular south coast

where you will find links to articles about Port Orford that have appeared recently in:Sunset; The New York Times; Coastal Living; and Northwest Magazine.

Fog ? Very rarely due to the ocean breezes we have most of the

Shopping ? For a town as small as we are, we have an excellent grocery store - Ray's Sentry Market. Everyone knows everyone The town also has a popular health foods store - "Seaweed".

Wind ? Yes - The downtown area has wind. Here's the best website to go to see what Port Orford's wind/weather/tide data.

Port Orford Wind Weather and Tide

Humidity ? It is never hot & sticky ! Keep in mind, that the Port Orford area has many microclimates that are sheltered from the ocean breezes and allow folks to grow great gardens.

Rain ? Yes, it rains ... but it usually arrives in tropical squalls. Which means there are very few dreary 'gray' days here ... even in the nearby Sixes & Elk River valleys.

Washouts ? It has been years & years since HWY 101 has had major problems. Our local highway crew does a great job of maintaining our roads.

Airports ? Our closest commercial airport is in North Bend about 60 minutes north of us. Thanks to the success of the Bandon Dunes Golf business about 30 minutes north of us - the "Southwest Regional Airport" gets plenty of business from the world's many prosperous golfers

Demographics ? Like all small (pop 1100) coastal towns, Port Orford area has very few young people. It does have lots of semi-retired professionals (attend any Rotary Club meeting) who make their 'Home Base' here.

Cost of food & fuel ? Everything has to be trucked in. The seafood landed daily at the dock is absolutely 1st rate.

Summer/Winter Temps ? this is a very mild 'Cool Tropics' climate. Everything seems to grow all year long ... it just slows down during the Winter months Check with the local gardeners.

And ... To see where Port Orford is ever so slowly moving towards - do check out our just completed and debt-free spacious new Library!

North Curry County Libraries, Port Orford library & Langlois Library, Southern Oregon Coast (http://www.polibrary.org/homepage_pol.htm - broken link)

It is a VERY popular place and is located across from Ray's Sentry Market.

Best regards,

Alan

Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 37,690 times
Thank you sooo much, Alan! With what I can determine from Internet searches, I really prefer Port Orford. I am very grateful to you for taking the time to answer all my questions. I grew up in a small farming town in South Eastern Washington, so to me the small size is a bonus!

Now, just to find the right house . . . (any suggestions on realtors?) I will definitely check out those links you provided. Again, thank you so much!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:10 PM

197 posts, read 459,342 times
Check out Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps and Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Real Estate Values - Zillow.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,291 times
The people of Gold Beach, Oregon are not friendly to newcommers. Do not expect a warm welcome!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt284 View Post
The people of Gold Beach, Oregon are not friendly to newcommers. Do not expect a warm welcome!
Eh??

It is so hard not to comment further.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 37,730 times
Can anyone tell me about the hospital in Gold Beach? My husband is looking at a job at Curry General and we wonder how busy it is? We are mainly concerned that he'll get enough hours
to be able to live there.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If the hospital needs your husband enough they can guarantee a minimum number of hours.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Default hospital in Gold Beach

thanks for your reply, hours are not guaranteed

Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Default people in gold beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt284 View Post
We haven't even moved there yet and people have already been very warm and inviting...we have been in touch with someone to rent a home
on the beach and they have been MORE than accomodating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon