Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM

227 posts, read 918,756 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Oregon with my 2 girls ages 8 and 10. I have been checking out homes in Medford and looks to be fairly reasonable. What are the best public schools in this area or are there other areas of Oregon I should be checking out?

I really appreciate the help and guidance you can give.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Frankly, you should be checking out the areas in which you can find employment. Oregon isn't an employment hotbed at the best of times, and this is not the best of economic times.

Job first and then make living arrangements.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Frankly, you should be checking out the areas in which you can find employment. Oregon isn't an employment hotbed at the best of times, and this is not the best of economic times.

Job first and then make living arrangements.

Where have you been Cornerguy1?

Hippies, equity bandits, retirees, panhandlers, transients, and telecommuters have been moving to Oregon for years, along with plenty of new age types who feel drawn to vibrate in the emerald cathedrals of Oregon, then go on public assistance..... Employment has never been a draw to Oregon. Oregon itself is.

A sensible question about schools seems very much more reasonable than the usual woo woo reasons people give! (Can I find a 4000 sf ecohome made of organically grown hemp near an open space without cougars, but with no hunting or nudity restrictions for under $900k? I hear it is so cheap there!).

For the OP, I like Roosevelt, Hoover, and Griffin Creek elementary schools. But my opinion is not worth much. I'm an Ashland liberal...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
(Can I find a 4000 sf ecohome made of organically grown hemp near an open space without cougars, but with no hunting or nudity restrictions for under $900k? I hear it is so cheap there!).
so sad, so true....

Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:

Can I find a 4000 sf ecohome made of organically grown hemp near an open space without cougars, but with no hunting or nudity restrictions for under $900k? I hear it is so cheap there!.
LMAO

Guess I'm just an out-of-touch stick in the mud.

Perhaps the OP is an independently wealthy, socially conscious liberal who believes a tropical climate is too hedonistic for Joe the Plumber. Or not.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 AM

227 posts, read 918,756 times
I have my own online business and can work from anywhere so don't need to find a job.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 AM

11 posts, read 56,295 times
Quote:
Where have you been Cornerguy1?

Hippies, equity bandits, retirees, panhandlers, transients, and telecommuters have been moving to Oregon for years, along with plenty of new age types who feel drawn to vibrate in the emerald cathedrals of Oregon, then go on public assistance..... Employment has never been a draw to Oregon. Oregon itself is.
That's a good point, although in this respect, now Oregon and SW Colorado / N. New Mexico are in competition, and N. Arizona (Sedona/Flagstaff) isn't that far behind...likewise w/ Asheville, NC.

FOR the OP -- Medford and vicinity has 14.1% unemployment in Jan; 13.1% in Feb - both well above the state average of 11.4% for Feb.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 AM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times
Just a personal experience, I'd avoid Central Point schools, although when we lived there, it was one of the only cities we could afford to live in. Ashland always rates well with schools, but the population there is very homogeneous racially and culturally, plus it's the most expensive place to live.

If I had it to do all over again, I try out Talent Phoenix schools. I haven't lived there for a few years, but when we left, there was a dual language program there that many of my friends were happy with. I'd also avoid Butte Falls, as they've had some pretty bad problems with administration.

Good luck.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
I have my own online business and can work from anywhere so don't need to find a job.

Well, then good luck! It is a beautiful part of the world. Not sure how we compare to Kaui though....!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
We lived down that way for 3 years. I thought there area was pretty nice. I'd imagine that south Medford high school, or the one in Central Point would be good. Eagle Point is not mentioned often, and the area is nice. I don't know about the schools there. Personally, I'd pick Grants Pass to live in because its more laid back. And closer to the coast and redwoods. But that's just me. Internet service is reasonable good in the area.

Our children went ot south Medford.

I tend to like the west side of the valley more. Especially Central Point along the base of the hills that you see off to the west from I-5. It falls into the shade of the mountain about 1 or 2 hours earlier than much of east Medford that gets much more late day sun. I think there is a better view of Mt. McLaughlin from the west side too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon