Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM

87 posts, read 203,009 times

Advertisements

While researching areas to moveto in Orlando area, came across website for nice looking project called "Downtown Maitland". Was that ever built, did it turn out well and did it create a downtown-like area? I'm interested because I hope to find a walkable place to live. Anyone know about this project? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,060,735 times
Nope, last I heard it was delayed indefinitely or scrapped. If you want walkable, look at Thornton Park downtown or College Park.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks for info. Do you feel Sunrail will help communities go forward with good redevelopment plans? Here in Portland we're all about trains and they are a great option for many and have really improved areas where the train passes through.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,352,415 times
I think Sunrail will do alot to spur development along it's route. Every station already has plans for shops and restaurants in the vicinity. I think the biggest winners will be the homeowners near the stations. Their home values should increase immediately when the train start running.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM

I completely agree. Do you think walkable areas will develop in Maitland? This seems like a nice area, does it have a "downtown" now or is it a newer area without a real core?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM

157 posts, read 332,813 times
What's that new big apartment building/condo/shopping center next to 17-92 right after the Ford dealer off Lee Rd? I drove by it when I was visiting a few weeks ago, it definitely wasn't there when I left Orlando in 08.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,060,735 times
Actually, these plans I think are slightly different from what I saw last year. Are you talking about this?

http://www.itsmymaitland.com/downtow...zation_mid.pdf

or this...

Florida Trend - Central Florida Business - New Maitland Downtown - Brossier Co. - - from Florida Trend, Florida's Source For Business News

The second one is what I believe fell through, though they are still probably planning for something. I would not really call Maitland truly walkable. There are a few things here and there that are walkable from some of the apartment complexes like the Village at Lake Lily (this is the place Gatorgrad is referring to). That is a really nice apartment complex with great amenities and interiors, but only a few tenants in the first floor retail space. Publix is about .5 miles from there. There are a few restaurants around, lake lily which is nice, and a small library. That immediate area is really nice. It definitely has some old character compared to most suburbs. We almost moved in there, but decided on downtown Orlando instead. If you are looking for a true core, you really have to stick with downtown Orlando/Thornton Park, College Park which has a nice little main street, or somewhere near Park Ave in Winter Park.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM

I was referring to the second, Brossier co. It looks like there will be progress on the first though. Hope to return to Fla soon and will check out Thornton Park. Thanks

Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,352,415 times
I think at some point every community in Central FL will have some sort of walkable town center. I feel it's trending that way for a few reasons.

First the sheer size and vastness of Central FL. It's just so big that eventually most communities here will develop their own Uptown Altamonte style areas.

Secondly, history. Most of the olders communities here have historically had a nice downtown area that could be rejuvenated into new walkable areas. Places such as downtown Sanford, Winter Garden, Maitland, Mt. Dora, Deland.

Finally, I think the Central FL community seems to embrace these types of developments. Maybe because our weather is slightly milder people here tend to embrace a more outdoor, walking lifestyle. Even in this summer heat you will find many people dining outside on sidewalks and patios. Try going downtown, thornton park, winter park, sodo, baldwin park during dinner or lunch and you will most likely see people dining outdoors or walking around. The success of places like those mentioned above seem to be more the trend in Central FL than the exception.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks Cranes Rooster for your thoughts. The outdoor lifestyle you describe, dining, walking, people watching, is just the thing I hope to find to go along with your fabulous weather. You mentioned Uptown Altamonte, is this a place to look for that outdoor community lifestyle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando