Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed how much attention has been put on this new attraction? It was on the Today show this morning, our local media is all over it. Did you see how many people were waiting in line to get it in? Tens of thousdands of people. I heard people had to wait as long as 6 hours to just get in.

YouTube - weshtv's Channel

Potter Mania Overtakes 'Wizarding World' - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/23947362/detail.html - broken link)

Local 6 news interviewed the president of the Rosen College of Hospitality who said this attraction will have a huge impact on the local tourism economy for a long time, similar to Disney. Because Harry potter is the largest grossing film series of all time and best selling books with millions fans from all around the world who are eager to visit.

Its even getting international media attention...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertain...s/10352816.stm

The news advised locals to avoid the park until fall when the weather cools down and the crowed hopefully dies down. But then again people they interviewed said it was worth waiting 6 hours.. I'm not even a big harry potter fan but I'm pretty excited to go. Mainly for the forbidden journey ride, which I heard has amazing special effects, and is nothing like any ride ever made.

Last edited by GLS2010; 06-18-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Has anyone else noticed how much attention has been put on this new attraction? It was on the Today show this morning, our local media is all over it. Did you see how many people were waiting in line to get it in? Tens of thousdands of people. I heard people had to wait as long as 6 hours to just get in.

YouTube - weshtv's Channel

Potter Mania Overtakes 'Wizarding World' - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/23947362/detail.html - broken link)

Local 6 news interviewed the president of the Rosen College of Hospitality who said this attraction will have a huge impact on the local tourism economy for a long time, similar to Disney. Because Harry potter is the largest grossing film series of all time and best selling books with millions fans from all around the world who are eager to visit.

The news advised locals to avoid the park until fall when it cools down and the crowed hopefully dies down because of how crowded it is right now. But then again people they interviewed said it was worth waiting 6 hours.. I'm not even a big harry potter fan but I'm pretty excited to go. Mainly for the forbidden journey ride, which I heard has amazing special effects, and is nothing like any ride ever made.

I am looking forward to going but I don;t plan to visit until Jan - Feb.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Universal closed at 1:00 today due to crowds.

A friends office looks out over the walkway around the Universal Lake and the throngs of people lined up at 9:00 am reached all the way out to the parking deck--in both directions. It looked worse then the Magic Kingdom on Christmas!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,543 times
I noticed how channel 9,2,6,13, and 35 was all over it. REAL QUESTION is will this part of Universal actually last?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I noticed how channel 9,2,6,13, and 35 was all over it. REAL QUESTION is will this part of Universal actually last?
Its funny cause I noticed that WESH 2 the NBC station (NBC=Universal) was all over it the most, they dedicated half their news show to it, they started the live coverage yesterday morning. Where as WFTV 9 the ABC station (ABC=Disney) tried to not make a big deal out of it but still talked about it. And the rest of the stations did make a pretty big deal about it, but not to the extent of WESH 2.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Its funny cause I noticed that WESH 2 the NBC station (NBC=Universal) was all over it the most, they dedicated half their news show to it, they started the live coverage yesterday morning. Where as WFTV 9 the ABC station (ABC=Disney) tried to not make a big deal out of it but still talked about it. And the rest of the stations did make a pretty big deal about it, but not to the extent of WESH 2.
Interesting. Did you see the quotes Disney and Universal gave?

I dont know which station I seen it on but disney seemed sort of cocky.

They said something like "Well the more tourist that come to Orlando the more that will come to Disney" I was like geesh at least wish them success.

Sea World said " Much success to them and yada yada some other BS"

Ha ha Disney is really mad.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
I'm so excited to go, but I probably won't for a few more weeks. The people who tried to get in today must be crazy/die-hard fans because there's no way I'd wait outside for six hours for anything.

I'm happy for all the attention on it, though. It'll be great for Orlando. I can't tell you how many times I heard people at my college in NYC buzzing about it.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
How cool is this. and we have it here. They have done a great job with it. i want to go see the ride I here it is something else.

and Rowling wouldnt allow soft drinks in that section... how cool someone actually took a stand against coke and pepsi.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,510 times
So, me and a few friends who have annual passes decide to go today for the grand opening. We got to Universal around 7:30 and wait in line that went from the gates of IOA down past NBA, Hardrock, past Universal studios and Nascar Cafe, and that was just as far as I could see. We were in line right around NBA City. We finally go into the park at around 9:30, and was able to see on the big screen they had set up some of the very first people to officially enter The Wizarding World. Many of the cast of the movie was there and it was cool to watch. Then started the wait. The line to just get into Harry Potter at 9:30 started in Marvel Super Hero Island went through Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, then finally into Harry Potter. We did not make it into Harry Potter until 3:30. My only real complaint is that we were in areas of the parks waiting for over an hour that had no concessions stand and really could have benefitted from someone with a cart selling just water as it was very hot until around 1:30. It started to drizzle around then and the sun never really came back out. My only other issue is that people were cutting in line and there was really no security until you were almost to Harry Potter. After we got in Harry Potter, we waited about 1 hour and 30 minutes for the ride. Luckily this line is very fast moving and once you get inside Hogwarts there is so much to see. The ride is so cool, kind of a simulator like Spiderman, totally worth wait! I really don't want to spoil it for anyone going in the few weeks so if you have any questions PM me. We also had Butter Beer which IMO was delicious. It tasted like cream soda (which I actually do not care for that much) and had some kind of whipped cream, butterscotch flavoring on top. With the souvenir mug it was $9.50. We went onto the Dragon Challenge formally Dueling Dragons, not much has changed except for some theming in the queue line. We spent a little more time walking around but it was nearly 7:00 almost 12 hours after getting into Universal and we were all getting tired. I wish I would have done more shopping but the lines to just get into the shops was over an hour and the lines to check out were crazy too. Did not get to see Wand Shop either and am definitely going to hit up 3 Broomsticks next time for Fish and Chips and more butter beer. I have pictures that I will post tomorrow; I am just too tired to upload them at the moment. All in all, I know that I am crazy for waiting hours just to see Harry Potter, but it was definitely an experience and I am glad that I can say that I was there on the very first official day that it opened. I will probably be going back in a few weeks to do some shopping and see some of the sights that I missed today. It is amazing tough, Hogsmeade looks exactly as I expected it too. Kudos Universal, you did well.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I'm so excited to go, but I probably won't for a few more weeks. The people who tried to get in today must be crazy/die-hard fans because there's no way I'd wait outside for six hours for anything.

I'm happy for all the attention on it, though. It'll be great for Orlando. I can't tell you how many times I heard people at my college in NYC buzzing about it.

I would not say I am a die hard Harry Potter fan (although I have read all the books and seen the movies), I am more of a Theme Park fan. I work at Disney and have annual passes to the other parks. I go to events like Halloween Horror Nights 6-8 times every year. It is one of the things that I love about Orlando, that is really not anywhere else in the world, and I choose to take advantage of them. I can honestly say though that the 8 hours wait I endured to day was the absolute longest I have ever waited for anything! You're right, I am probably crazy!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando