Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Boy, 4, Dies After Crash On New Smyrna Beach - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/news/24302223/detail.html - broken link)

So sad, this is the second story I've seen recently of a child being hit by a car while it was driving on the beach and being killed (within driving distance from Orlando).

If we move there and want to go to a beach that cars aren't allowed to drive on which beaches would that be? (out of the more suggested ones I guess)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Boy, 4, Dies After Crash On New Smyrna Beach - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/news/24302223/detail.html - broken link)

So sad, this is the second story I've seen recently of a child being hit by a car while it was driving on the beach and being killed (within driving distance from Orlando).

If we move there and want to go to a beach that cars aren't allowed to drive on which beaches would that be? (out of the more suggested ones I guess)...
Not to mention the shark bite there this weekend as well.

Shark bites man: Shark bites man in New Smyrna Beach - OrlandoSentinel.com

I don't like New Smyrna...I never liked the whole cars on the beach thing. It's also the shark bite capital of the country! Luckily, only New Smyrna and Daytona are drive-on beaches I believe. It also has to do with the lack of parking lots for the beaches there. I have been to many beaches on both coasts and those are the only two I have ever been to that are like that. We always go to Cocoa Beach...the closest beach to Orlando if you live near the city core or east. If you live north of town, New Smyrna might be closer.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It's also the shark bite capital of the country!

Nice...

Guess we wil try Cocoa beach if/when we ever get there...that or Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon or Aquatica.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Nice...

Guess we wil try Cocoa beach if/when we ever get there...that or Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon or Aquatica.
I like all 3 of those parks, but Typhoon Lagoon really takes the cake. That place's atmosphere is just spot-on. You feel like you are on vacation every time you go.

Last edited by Pete C; 07-19-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Yes, just one of many, many reasons we want to be down there...

Old 07-19-2010, 06:55 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
There are places in New Smyrna and Daytona where cars can't drive.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 PM

We'll have to look into those areas Becky. I know we'd watch our son but I'm sure those parents thought they were too...

Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM

200 posts, read 538,592 times
I really hope they get a car ban for the beach passed soon.

Cars on beach = Unsafe and trashy!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
There are so many beaches in Florida that do not allow beach driving that one has to ask themselves: Is it the beach/county's fault for allow beach driving in that one small area, or is it the adult's fault who took that child to that particular beach where obviously they knew there would be an increased danger due to the cars ????

Now I will say that I'm praying for that family and the point of my post is not to assign blame at a time when tears abound. I am just astounded about the backlash and uproar that is whipped up after one of these ever so sad incidents. The boy darted out in front of the truck and the driver never even had a chance to see him. Hell, it happened to me last time I went to the beach and the irresponsible mom looked at me like I was crazy for getting upset about her kids playing in traffic areas.

If you have kids, either make sure they are ready to deal with the traffic or simply go to another section of beach where driving is prohibited. What ever happened to a little personal responsibility

If these cars are so dangerous, as the opponents of beach driving suggest, why the heck would you ever take a gamble with your child's safety?????? Seems like it's those folks/parents who are pointing all the fingers that are actually the dangerous ones!!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 AM

42 posts, read 214,420 times
I totally disagree! Do you know how quick a child can be? There should be no driving on the beach period. It's a accident waiting to happen, and not just for small children. Hopefully no more have to die to realize this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando