Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:40 PM

53 posts, read 110,624 times

Advertisements

Looking to bring my family south to Florida, and would like to live in the Orlando area possibly.

Are there any places hiring with stability and etc? I have a degree in criminal justice, and will have been in the military just over 5 years upon discharge.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 AM

6 posts, read 41,009 times
I would not recommend a move to Florida. I am a native, and living here and coming here on vacation are different things. My main complaint would be the cost of living vs what people really pay. School wise....so much attention is given to teaching kids to pass the FCAT test that I question how much instruction time is lost in order for the schools to make their grade. Real estate wise...right now would be the time to purchase real estate...since the real estate crash...you can basically steal a house Overall...I don't recommend Florida....and hope you will keep an open mind and research before making a leap to Florida.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,349,261 times
On the other hand there are tons of threads where people have done their research, moved there and love it.

Things are tough all over. You only live once - follow your dreams, do it the smart way and leave the rest to fate...

Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
On the other hand there are tons of threads where people have done their research, moved there and love it.

Things are tough all over. You only live once - follow your dreams, do it the smart way and leave the rest to fate...
I have to agree with you on this one! No matter where you end up.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
IMO stay in the the Military for now if you can. This economy is not strong on the outside. Go for the 20 year and retirement if you can deal with it and have potential for growth.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
Why get out of the service? You should stay in unless you just hate it. My brother did 20 years and deployed overseas for 15 years of his time. He said it was not ideal, but he loves the medical insurance and monthly check. Give it a second look.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 AM

238 posts, read 743,168 times
As has been noted, if you enjoy the military, why not stay in for the retirement and benefits?
If you are determined to live in Florida, do your research for employment, housing, schools and so forth.
If you're looking to get into law enforcement, you'll have to attend an academy-check the requirements for LEO's. If you're considering a security officer position in the interim, you have to be licensed in FL for those jobs. Then there are the problems with traffic, crime, shopping locations and so forth

Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Have any of you all that keep recommending he stay in the military ever actually been in the military?

Serving and defending your country is a great thing, but career military is definitely not for everybody.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM

238 posts, read 743,168 times
One of my regrets is not having stayed in. I'd been out in 1993. I've worked with guys that had 10 to 15 years and they always said they'd have a retirement if they stayed it.

My nephew is a E-7, going to Iraq (again) and expects to retire in 5 years, he enjoys it.

It's up to the individual, their mos and assignment (as you've pointed out)...I've had people that they wouldn't have my job or do it for any amount of money... (I'm a retired deputy)

Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 AM

23 posts, read 65,872 times
I always got a kick out of the responses I got when I would tell folks I was getting out. For the most part, I could break them down into two groups. Those who had never been in the military and suggest I just stay in because it is a great opportunity, and those who have retired and are able to retrospectively say 20 years wasn't that bad.

People say "just do your 20 and then get out" as though I dropped my keys, and they are saying "just pick em up." The truth of the matter is, it's not that easy. People thank Service Members in airports for a reason. It's because they are making a sacrafice. It is unimaginably difficult to leave ones family for 13-15 months at a time every other year, and when there is no end in sight, finishing 20 years is nowhere as easy as picking up that set of car keys.

People leave military service for a number of reasons, and while it may seem difficult to understand why someone would voluntarily subject themselves to this economy, keep in mind they may be making the decision to put their family first for a change (something that is virtually impossible to do in the military), or they may just be ready to hop off the deployment train. In any case, the decision is never an easy one to arrive at, and I assure you, the OP will have carefully considered his options prior to posting here.

Having said all that, my answer to the OP: Depending on your MOS, you could be an easy fit for one of the several law enforcement agencies in Orlando. The good thing there is those jobs are relatively stable. I would suggest you take a look at the Tampa Bay area as well. One other thing to consider is working as a civilian at MacDill AFB, or Patrick AFB in Cocoa Beach. They give preferential hiring to veterans.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando