Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM

25 posts, read 99,229 times

Advertisements

Does it make sense to buy a condo for a college student? The school is charging $500 per month for a shared room in a 3 bedroom apt and includes a pool, cable and utilities. I can probably rent a 1 bedroom for maybe a bit more than that but was thinking that buying one might not be a bad idea. The school is near S John Young Pkway and I4E. Condos are around 25000. What are the average common charges for a condo with a pool?

Last edited by Jett456; 08-16-2010 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: notifications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM

986 posts, read 3,552,493 times
It completely depends on the community. Condo HOA fees could be as much as $500 per month. Condo's in good areas and there are quite a few in the John Young area vary in price. I have seen townhomes for in the $60-80K range in Hunters creek for 2/3 bedrooms which you could also rent out to offset some of the costs.

$25K is not much and I would recommend checking out the community and discussing this with your Realtor if you are using one to make sure you are not going to be purchasing a property which is going to have extremely high operating costs because at that price, your talking about the the same cost as a car. This is something of a give away and there has to be some reason why this is the case.

Good luck

Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett456 View Post
Does it make sense to buy a condo for a college student? The school is charging $500 per month for a shared room in a 3 bedroom apt and includes a pool, cable and utilities. I can probably rent a 1 bedroom for maybe a bit more than that but was thinking that buying one might not be a bad idea. The school is near S John Young Pkway and I4E. Condos are around 25000. What are the average common charges for a condo with a pool?
A lot of people do it who have kids at UCF. I would get a 2 bedroom so a roommate can help pay for it or so there is room for parents to stay while they vacation here in Florida. Check out the condo to see how many are home owners living there and not rented out. Check to see that dues are being paid and that there is enough of a HOA fee that covers insurance for common areas if building is damaged in any way etc. We had some condos never rebuilt after the storms of 2004 because there just wasn't any money.
Too many had not been paying their fees or buying the insurance needed for their own units.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,609,994 times
My parents bought a 3 bedroom house for "me" when I went to college. I moved out of the dorms after freshmen year, so we got 3 years out of the house. We still own it, and rent it out (to non-college students now.).

The best advice I can give is .... even tho you may be renting a room to a friend (or friend of your child's) ... make sure its done "on paper".

Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,232,382 times
I think it's a great investment. You may not be able to resell it for awhile, but you can rent it for years to other students and probably make a nice profit. You can check the orlando Craigslist for room rentals to get an idea of what is available and what they are charging.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,754,605 times
waste of money...just a glorified apartment.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,566 times
I would just rent. When the kid graduates and wants to move to a different area you won't have to worry about selling the condo.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I would just rent. When the kid graduates and wants to move to a different area you won't have to worry about selling the condo.
The friends we know who bought condos back in 2001 when our kids started at UCF still own the condos and use them most weekends as their home away from home when they go for concerts, to the parks, etc. in Orlando so I think getting condos for college kids is a great idea. A couple will retire to their condos in Orlando and sell their big homes here on the coast. Wish we had done that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: