Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,687 times

Advertisements

I moved to Orlando two weeks ago to attend UCF. I ive 4 minutes aways from the university in a pretty and nice area. I want to know if this area is safe to go out at night or just walk around. It seems safe, more calm than Miami, where I used to live. Traffic is much worse in Miami than here and drivers too.

What can you do for fun at Orlando instead of the Parks and Shopping Malls? What areas are good and bad? where can I buy groceries cheaper than Walmart and Winn Dixie? How is the job market? I'm looking for a 25-30 hour part-time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 PM

33 posts, read 92,213 times
If you are a female and small in stature, I probably wouldn't walk around the UCF (or really any) area alone at night. There are occasionally news stories about crime issues with females in that area. But if you are with a group or some friends, you should be fine.

There is no where to get groceries cheaper than Wal-Mart, but I definately prefer Publix. I don't mind spending a little more to avoid the insanity that is Wal-Mart.

As for the job market... like most places its not great. Its gonna depend what type of work you want to do though, and what your experience/skills are like.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:21 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,543 times
UCF...if your a female then no. There has been a trend of *Attempted Kidnaping/Assualts/Rapes* in that area. Sounds childish but use the buddy system. Like to be honest.

LOl Immoving away from here for school so the good is well it has a PRESENT young population and Orlando is trendy. It has possitives about the night life dining and shopping The bad is Orlando is really slow when it comes to Public Entertainment( Performing Arts Musems Sports) not very well rounded city. Its crime ridden in areas but it has dropped, I still feel unsafe and I was born and raised here. Bad is it gets cold in November, February and March and at random it can be 90 degrees any day. So dont ever listen to the weather forecast (LOL).

The ugly is its spread out . Traffic sucks, because of underdevleoped roads and construction and bad urban planning. So its a city of excitement thats so close to being a next teir city just isnt there.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
As other have stated, I would NOT walk around the UCF area at night. There has been several cases of rapes/attempted rapes over there. So be aware of your surroundings if you are alone, but I suggest avoiding walking the area at night altogether.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Sedano's and Aldi are generally cheaper than Wal-Mart. Freshfield farms on Michigan is also very cheap for meats.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I moved to Orlando two weeks ago to attend UCF. I ive 4 minutes aways from the university in a pretty and nice area. I want to know if this area is safe to go out at night or just walk around. It seems safe, more calm than Miami, where I used to live. Traffic is much worse in Miami than here and drivers too.

What can you do for fun at Orlando instead of the Parks and Shopping Malls? What areas are good and bad? where can I buy groceries cheaper than Walmart and Winn Dixie? How is the job market? I'm looking for a 25-30 hour part-time.

Thanks
Just don't walk around after mid night by yourself because it can be risky, which i would recommend anywhere you live. There should be no reason to anyways. You can walk all around the UCF area during the day and be fine, I see it everyday, I also live in the area.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,687 times
Thanks everyone!

I'm looking for a M-F or M-S job in an office or bank... Thankfully I have an interview this Thursday.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone!

I'm looking for a M-F or M-S job in an office or bank... Thankfully I have an interview this Thursday.
Good luck!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Good luck to you!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,713,329 times
Airboat rides are fun, there is the Bithlo racetrack
Orlando Speedworld - Schedule / Events
with the famous Crash-O-Rama and Figure 8 bus races...lol!
I also like Merritt Island, with the Cape Canaveral Seashore and the Wildlife Refuge
Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
One caveat there - Once you cross the bridge on to the Island, there is nothing you can purchase to eat or drink, so bring you own cooler They do have chemical restrooms that are OK. It's a decent, relatively cheap day! The beach has a (I think) $3 per person fee or you can pay $35 per year for a carload annual pass. The beaches are unspoiled and beautiful. You can schedule to see turtles hatch at night with the rangers. Stay at beaches below number 11 unless you wish to see more skin than is customary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando