Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 AM

57 posts, read 244,936 times

Advertisements

Hi Florida

My husband and I are considering a move to Florida for a lot of reasons. I have been reading some of the information about the areas of Orlando and Jacksonville.

We have two small children and are basically looking for decent jobs, decent neighborhoods, good schools, what most people want.

We are currently living in New England and some of the threads that I have read indicate expensive living in the nicer areas. Could some one elaborate on that.

What is considered expensive living.

We would like to rent a house perhaps in the Orlando area (or outside of the Orlando aree) at first. From what I can tell from going online to various sources, the apartments and/or house rentals seem a lot more affordable than they are here in Southern New Hampshire. (example $850 for a 2 bedroom dump in a trashy/bad neighborhood).

Also, any other information that you want to share about living in Florida would be greatly appreciated. The warmth is one of the things that attract me the most. Heat and humidity don't bother me half as much as ice and below 0 temps and driving on ice and snow.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
Expensive homes in the Central Florida area start at around $750,000. Most anything less than that would fall in the various ranges of "average".

Communities like Isleworth, Alaqua, parts of Winter Park, Bay Hill, Heathrow, and some of the other areas that tend to be lake front communities typically have houses well into the 3-5-10 million dollar ranges.

To rent a nice 4 bedroom house in a decent area, I'd guestimate the monthly base rent to be about $2,300.00

Old 07-03-2007, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 17,116 times
Default Very Nice Areas

I agree with PRICHARD. Also Lake Mary (which is where Heathrow is located) is very nice. I have also seen some fantastic homes in Baldwin Park in Orlando.

I have lived here for 21 years and I love it.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys0822 View Post
Hi Florida

My husband and I are considering a move to Florida for a lot of reasons. I have been reading some of the information about the areas of Orlando and Jacksonville.

We have two small children and are basically looking for decent jobs, decent neighborhoods, good schools, what most people want.

We are currently living in New England and some of the threads that I have read indicate expensive living in the nicer areas. Could some one elaborate on that.

We would like to rent a house perhaps in the Orlando area (or outside of the Orlando aree) at first. From what I can tell from going online to various sources, the apartments and/or house rentals seem a lot more affordable than they are here in Southern New Hampshire. (example $850 for a 2 bedroom dump in a trashy/bad neighborhood).

Also, any other information that you want to share about living in Florida would be greatly appreciated. The warmth is one of the things that attract me the most. Heat and humidity don't bother me half as much as ice and below 0 temps and driving on ice and snow.

Thank you

Do your family and your self a favor and stay in New England. I'm a Police Officer here in Central Florida and the crime is getting out of control. The population is growing and we don't have enough officers for the rise and crime. In two years were moving back to Maine. If you have two small children then they would be a lot better off in New Hampshire then Orlando. Before you move, pull of the crime static's for Orlando and the surrounding area's. The reason why a lot of our crime is not on the news is because of Disney World. They play a big apart in what gets published in the news.

Many people move here thinking that their always going to go to Disney a lot. (If I had a dollar for every time I heard this!!) The fact is they don't, you get wrapped up in your life, your job, paying bills, and your children growing that you forget about the wonderful notations of going to Disney.

I hope this helps you, I'm from New England and defiantly moving back in less than two years. God I can't wait, seriously think long and hard about it.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
We came here from Vermont to settle some unfortunate and
unexpected family matters. We have a year to decide whether
we stay or not. A few things.......the culture shock from NE to
SE is HUGE !! These places are as opposed in mindset as they
are in geography. The real estate is outragiously overpriced.
And as the gentleman in the post above stated, the crime is scary !
I hate to even read the paper. Also....the heat ! The heat is
oppressive. Im an 'outdoor' person and do love the nature that is
here, but it will take your body two weeks to acclimate to it.
But, as I said, there is some stuff available here to take your
mind off of the olde kountry......the beaches, nature preserves,
etc...I will *not* miss shoveling my driveway every 6 hours and
cheering when the temp goes above 10 degrees, too
Good luck in your move.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM

28 posts, read 61,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys0822 View Post
Hi Florida

Thank you
I would have to agree with LEO2. Think long and hard before you decide to move to Orlando. Besides sunshine, this place really does not have anything to offer. I moved here from North Carolina five months ago and I have regretted it ever since. The housing is expensive and the pay is lousy. I pay $800 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment and it is in one of the worst areas in Orlando. I have a Master's degree and I make $16.00hr. I was told that was a lot for Orlando. I plan on moving out of this hell hole and back up North by next year. My recommendation is to find another city in the U.S. to move to. Everyone that I know is getting the heck out of here.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I wasn't exactly thinking Disney, I like Universal much better. Just kidding.

It seems like Florida has changed a lot. But so has New England. New England has changed so much in recent years. Cost of living went up including house prices and rents. Everything went up,up, up. regular living expenses except that the pay rate around here didn't move.

If you work in Boston and live in NH you can make a decent salary but the travel time is the killer. Otherwise, it is all you can do to keep a roof over your head.

Sounds like Florida is going through some of the same stuff. I do hate the winter though. Not the snow so much as the cold.

Leo2- Where in Maine are you thinking of? Might just end up there myself. Cold, snow and all.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM

217 posts, read 806,379 times
Remember, Holly...Everyone is different! You just might love it! I know I did when I moved there back in 2K3. I come from Boston and couldn't wait to move down there. Screw cold weather! I lived in Hunter's Creek, in an apartment complex. No crime, period...End of story. I felt wicked safe in HC and had a great job working for Disney as both an IT Analyst and a Business Analyst. Unfortunately, I had to move back to Boston, so the wife could get her law degree. Well, she graduated back in May and will take the bar exam down there next week.
We WILL call Hunter's Creek home again in less than 3 months.
Since we're both theme park fans and love taking drives to the left and right coasts on a whim for dinner, love the temperature STINKING hot, we couldn't have been happier and SO can't wait to move back! My wife's sister and her boyfriend are moving there...As are our friends (who we love taking drives with for lunch and dinner and also going to the parks)! My other friend and HIS wife just moved into a house in Celebration. Despite what other people say, you can at least try it. If you don't like it, you can just simply move back. Easy stuff.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 15,748 times
Default Orlando Lifestyle

We moved here with 3 children almost 3 years ago from NJ. Orlando is clean and almost every day is sunny. Find employment and if it isn't perfect, look harder when you get here. There are plenty of opportunities especially if you want to start something on your own. Maybe a franchise. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Du Kwan View Post
Remember, Holly...Everyone is different! You just might love it! I know I did when I moved there back in 2K3. I come from Boston and couldn't wait to move down there. Screw cold weather! I lived in Hunter's Creek, in an apartment complex. No crime, period...End of story. I felt wicked safe in HC and had a great job working for Disney as both an IT Analyst and a Business Analyst. Unfortunately, I had to move back to Boston, so the wife could get her law degree. Well, she graduated back in May and will take the bar exam down there next week.
We WILL call Hunter's Creek home again in less than 3 months.
Since we're both theme park fans and love taking drives to the left and right coasts on a whim for dinner, love the temperature STINKING hot, we couldn't have been happier and SO can't wait to move back! My wife's sister and her boyfriend are moving there...As are our friends (who we love taking drives with for lunch and dinner and also going to the parks)! My other friend and HIS wife just moved into a house in Celebration. Despite what other people say, you can at least try it. If you don't like it, you can just simply move back. Easy stuff.
Thanks for your response. Still deciding I guess. I would love to just go but just have to be a little more careful with kids in tow. We have family in Maine but noone else anywhere else so I am still doing research. My husband is just no help, he doesn't care. I know he likes the cold weather, I hate it but he says he will be happy anywhere. (thanks for the input, right?) There are other areas in Florida that I am also looking into besides Orlando. It still seems to me that despite all that has been said, Florida does have opportunities available if you are willing to find them and with the right attitude? And it has the SUN

Why is it that your wife had to complete her law degree in Boston??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando