Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:41 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
That is the problem for them too - their realtor just wants to bring the house down and not market it. Its on the MLS but that's it! No open houses, no adds in the papers or online. You really have to get it out there and shine for people to notice it.
Internet marketing is so important because most buyers start searching online. Local newspaper ads have not been effective here lately, out of state ads have been getting calls but no buyers for me, however, eventually, some of those calls may turn into purchases eventually. Magazines have proven to be a waste of money (real estate magazines). Open houses are not the best way to sell a house. As an agent, I do them because sellers like them and if I find someone interested in buying, I can can find them a house, whether it's the one they visited or another. Open houses often bring neighbors. In one subdivision, you have to request permission of the HOA to put up Open House signs to hold an open house!

A good agent is spending time, effort, and money on Internet marketing and contacting other agents with your listing. If you can't sell the listing to other agents, the house may sit for a long time.

The biggest obstacle I find when working with buyers is agents that don't provide showing instructions, or that have a showing button in the MLS that says to call the agent, you call the agent to get told to call the office, then get told to call the seller. After all those hoops, I just find another home to show! Ther are over 26,000 listings in my market area!

Recently, I called an agent for showing instructions to get a voice mail that says they don't give showing info over the phone! I called because their showing instructions said to call the listing agent! I showed another property.

Last week I called to show a preforeclosure home to a cash buyer. The agent told me their were two contracts and the bank was getting ready to make a decision and that she didn't want me to put in a 3rd offer! I didn't show the home, took my client to the builder and my client bought a home.

Lately, when I search for buyers, it's normal to find 500-600 homes that fit the basic criteria! What can I say? If your agent is not agressively marketing, providing the right info to other agents to help sell the property and just putting the house in the MLS and forgetting you, I'd think about intervieiwing more agents.

Your home is a valuable investment and the sale should be handled by someone who values you as the customer and markets your investment property. All homes eventually sell if the seller is motivated to sell!

Buyer incentives have been very helpful in getting transactions to close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
Zillow may show what someone paid for the house but it doesnt show if there is a second mortgage. my house shows i paid 90k for it 16 years ago. you wouldnt know there is a second mortgage on it also.

But, if you only paid 110,00 in the last 5 years (16 years, I'll give a lot of appreciation), what are you doing taking out a second mortgage? I really have no need to buy that house, or bail that person out. I don't mind a fair price, and since I'm in no rush, I can wait until the market comes down. I'm just saying I'm shocked at all the people that want 100% appreciation in just couple of years. I can happen-- but I won't be the sucker buying in :-)

Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilkeets View Post
But, if you only paid 110,00 in the last 5 years (16 years, I'll give a lot of appreciation), what are you doing taking out a second mortgage? I really have no need to buy that house, or bail that person out. I don't mind a fair price, and since I'm in no rush, I can wait until the market comes down. I'm just saying I'm shocked at all the people that want 100% appreciation in just couple of years. I can happen-- but I won't be the sucker buying in :-)
I agree.
however, a person may have purchase for 110 and redid the bathrooms and kithcen, etc and zillow would not refect that on its own. It shows costs based on size and comps. It doesnt include upgrades if any where done. Unless someone purchased a new home its very possible they have done all these things. It is also possible they have a home equity loan so they could do these things.
I am only saying that zillow is a good tool to see which way the market is going but not as good for pricing. my neighbors house was "zestimated" about 20k lower than it actually sold for 4 months ago. It was estimated on size but the house had alot of extras.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
I agree.
however, a person may have purchase for 110 and redid the bathrooms and kithcen, etc and zillow would not refect that on its own. It shows costs based on size and comps. It doesnt include upgrades if any where done. Unless someone purchased a new home its very possible they have done all these things. It is also possible they have a home equity loan so they could do these things.
I am only saying that zillow is a good tool to see which way the market is going but not as good for pricing. my neighbors house was "zestimated" about 20k lower than it actually sold for 4 months ago. It was estimated on size but the house had alot of extras.
Zillow is a "zestimation" based only on raw numbers. If you are in a neighborhood where homes don't sell frequently or get quit claimed to family, Zillow "zestimates" are not on target. Appreciation, improvement, etc are not considered. Truthfully, I'm surprised someone has not tried to sue them.

Your post is very good in that respect.

However, what a person owes on a property is not the buyers concern. The buyer only cares about what they must pay to get the property. It's the buyer that sets the price. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, whether it's a home, car, TV, diamond ring, suit, or cup of coffee.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Default current stats

To this date there have been 13,300 homes sold this year for the greater Orlando area The same area showed 21,355 for the year before. While it isnt the market it was it is still an active one. This market has realtors in a position where they must sell more and promote instead of hoping someone calls. Keep the faith Orlando your homes will sell BTW there are 20,077 listing as active. It seems the actives have fallen some what to me.

The numbers for Orlando only are - 4702 sold year to date, 6888 listed, 462 pending, last year solds = 8174. All these numbers are only what was listed as single family homes.

We are lucky our market is this active. there are many places that are really bad

Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
Zillow is a "zestimation" based only on raw numbers. If you are in a neighborhood where homes don't sell frequently or get quit claimed to family, Zillow "zestimates" are not on target. Appreciation, improvement, etc are not considered. Truthfully, I'm surprised someone has not tried to sue them.

Your post is very good in that respect.

However, what a person owes on a property is not the buyers concern. The buyer only cares about what they must pay to get the property. It's the buyer that sets the price. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, whether it's a home, car, TV, diamond ring, suit, or cup of coffee.

I agree with this also. There is just a diference in those who need to sell and those who do not.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM

39 posts, read 116,074 times
speaking as a recent buyer

if i did not see enough photos on the MLS or there wasn't enough information to answer my questions right away (and these will differ for every buyer) i did not ask to see it... i know when i sell this house i will get a professional photographer to take the photos.

also, spend time on your bathroom and kitchens.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 PM

62 posts, read 348,724 times
I agree. I have been doing some research and some houses you just can't get much info on or they have just one image.

I would kick my realtor in the rear if that was my house.

There are plenty of properties to look at and the next button is to easy to hit and move on.

When I was looking at South Fla last year it was even worse. Like the realtors did not care ??

Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The numbers for Orlando only are - 4702 sold year to date, 6888 listed, 462 pending, last year solds = 8174. All these numbers are only what was listed as single family homes.

We are lucky our market is this active. there are many places that are really bad
Our house was one of those 4702 sold. It was only on the market for about a week or so--two showings and the 2nd family bought it. We know we were extremely fortunate. Our realtor was excellent, but also we priced our house slightly under others for sale in our neighborhood. There was nothing that unique about our cookie-cutter subdivision home, but it was immaculate and in very good condition. By the way, we insisted on taking our own photos. Maybe that helped a bit, who knows?

We'd sold three previous homes ourselves (in the midwest) in the past but the crazy 2007 Florida market scared us, so we listed with a realtor. We found someone who had a lot of experience and also sales success in our area. It was a "chunk of change" to pay out for such a quick sale, but we didn't regret it for a minute. If you decide to list with a realtor, look for one who is selling in these slower times--the best ones are still making sales.

So yes, some houses in Orlando are selling. It takes the right buyer, the right house and the right price. In this currently over-saturated market, those are three difficult combinations to get, but it does happen. Hang in there.

Good luck to all with homes for sale.

Lynn

Old 12-21-2007, 03:13 AM

5 posts, read 15,021 times
My land and home hasen't budged!!!!
I have lowered my price over 60 grand too
but i do have about 80 thousand in equity
so not too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando