Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:21 PM

36 posts, read 99,446 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from LA 3 months ago and have been trying find GOOD Mexican. All the suggestions I have gotten is Amigos (Tex-Mex), Tijuana Flats (Tex-Mex and a step above Taco Bell) and some place in Baldwin Park. It's all ok but not the real deal that I'm used to. Can anyone who knows Cali-Mexican style please help??? I'm desperate! LOL

(I guess I should also mention that I am Mexican so I can tell the difference between real and fake)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
I like Cantina Laredo and Lime Fresh mexican Grill in Dr Phillips. Yes they are technically both chains, but not in the way taco bell or chipotle is a chain.

Lime started out in Miami and just opened their first franchise outside of South FL in Dr Phillips and focuses on certified humane meat and organic veggies, while cantina laredo is a nice "upscale" mexican place. I would classify both as more of a "cali-mex" cuisine as opposed to the heavier, fattier tex-mex cuisine IMO.

Can't say I've found a dirty-spoon cheap local mexican place but I would love to try a good one if any one knows of one.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 AM

193 posts, read 623,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy08fox View Post
Just moved here from LA 3 months ago and have been trying find GOOD Mexican. All the suggestions I have gotten is Amigos (Tex-Mex), Tijuana Flats (Tex-Mex and a step above Taco Bell) and some place in Baldwin Park. It's all ok but not the real deal that I'm used to. Can anyone who knows Cali-Mexican style please help??? I'm desperate! LOL

(I guess I should also mention that I am Mexican so I can tell the difference between real and fake)
Would you please explain the difference between the two types of Mexican food styles? Are they that different? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:39 AM

437 posts, read 811,213 times
lol and i moving from here to LA in few weeks .. Why you move from LA so diverse city with great food and things to do

Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
lol and i moving from here to LA in few weeks .. Why you move from LA so diverse city with great food and things to do
You couldn't pay me to move to LA....

LA is #1: The Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water - 24/7 Wall St.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

LA is #1: Worst, best cities for air quality listed - U.S. news - Environment - msnbc.com

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2010 at 06:37 AM..

Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
idc what people say about chains. Chipotle is my all time favorite place to get a burrito. That place is great. For more traditional mexican food I think habaneros is pretty good. It's a local restaurant, only about 4 of them and they're all located in the metro.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
idc what people say about chains. Chipotle is my all time favorite place to get a burrito. That place is great. For more traditional mexican food I think habaneros is pretty good. It's a local restaurant, only about 4 of them and they're all located in the metro.
I used TB and chipotle as an example of bigger chains, but in all honesty, I like 'em both, especially chipotle.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:02 PM

20 posts, read 52,163 times
Agave Azul serves good food but their service is lacking. Interior decor is very nice and modern.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
There used to be a wonderful little place on Fairbanks, just east of I-4. It wasn't Cali-Mex, but it was great. The name escapes me, though. Any oldtimers would probably remember it....

Just found it, it's still there:

Paco's - 1801 West Fairbanks Avenue, Winter Park (407) 629-0149

Again, NOT Cali-Mex, but it used to be wonderful. They must be doing something right if they're still kicking it after all of these years! Give them a try.

Please be aware that it is really hard to find West Coast style Mexican places just about anywhere on this side of the country.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohynot View Post
Would you please explain the difference between the two types of Mexican food styles? Are they that different? Thanks!
As an Anglo that loves just about all Mexican food, here's my take. Any Mexican friends reading this please feel free to chime in and correct me if you have a differing take on things.

It's not nearly as "heavy" as the usual Tex-Mex style we are used to in the East. Lot's of seafood incorporated into recipes, fish tacos with cilantro & sour cream, more of an emphasis on salsa verde (green) vs heavy tomato based salsas, lot's of fresh garden style veggies in the pico de gallo, the use of lot's of chilis - both green and red, a large variety of different mole's, a wonderful fish filet cooked inside a banana leaf, etc.

Mexican cuisine is very broad, and each region has their own specialty and style. Most of us have really only been exposed to the Tex-Mex style in our part of the U.S. (which I love, regardless).

Hope that helps a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando