Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite Downtown Orlando shopping and dining districts?
Audubon Park 3 14.29%
College Park 7 33.33%
Colonialtown 2 9.52%
Downtown Orlando 6 28.57%
Ivanhoe Village 3 14.29%
Mills 50 8 38.10%
Park Ave & Hannibal Square 4 19.05%
SoDo Area 2 9.52%
Thornton Park 11 52.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times

Advertisements

Just curious what main street shopping/dining areas or districts people liked the most.

Orlando Main Street Program

Downtown Orlando Neighborhoods | DowntownOrlando.com

Last edited by Pete C; 08-09-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM

995 posts, read 1,696,299 times
I would vote for Lake Cherokee if it were an option. Hands down.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
I would vote for Lake Cherokee if it were an option. Hands down.
I should have specified, I was thinking along the lines of retail/dining areas.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
I like the Milk District as well.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I like the Milk District as well.
I considered that part of Colonialtown...am I wrong? I guess that's the new name of that little strip.

Edit: I guess I was wrong. Colonialtown looks like it centers around Mills. Oops.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 PM

90 posts, read 242,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I considered that part of Colonialtown...am I wrong? I guess that's the new name of that little strip.

Edit: I guess I was wrong. Colonialtown looks like it centers around Mills. Oops.
Colonialtown business district is in the Mills/50 area, but I've also heard it called Little Saigon, Mills 50, and the area directly on Mills from about Marks St. to Princeton is called The ViMi, which stands for Virginia-Mills. ViMi is supposed to have been created based on the Atlanta neighborhood ViHi (Virginia Highlands.) It's supposed to be a sort of Gayborhood, with the GLBT center, Ritzy Rags, Funky Monkey, Bannanas, Paradise, Sip, Logans Bistro, the Peacock Room and Wally's. If and when the Mills Park Development is built it's supposed to be an anchor to the ViMi, like the Wellesley in College Park, The SoDo Center in SoDo, Thornton Park Central in Thornton Park. I think Maitland could be included on the list, it's pretty close in and also building new anchor apartments and shops. I really like the Ivanhoe Village or North Orange. There needs to be more residential there and that is a cool little village. Also there is Uptown, which is Orange and Rosalind north of Colonial to Lake Ivanhoe. There is also supposed to be an area designated as "Midtown" which is around the Courthouse area. There is also Parramore, which has a business district that will probably be trendy in the next 10-20 years. Does anybody know the offical name of the business district on Corrine Dr. (It's been called North Orlando, Audobon, and Colonialtown North.) Also the name of the business district on Michigan? Would that be included in the SoDo neighborhood? We need to find out from the city the official names and designated business areas. Also the name of the ORMC district? Lake Copeland maybe? And the name of the Florida Hospital district? Orwin Park or Far North Orange? I've also heard Orange Ave in Winter Park from 17-92 to Fairbanks called the Design District, due to the home design business located there, and also has a few cool restaurants in the mix. Also the Bumby/Curry Ford area? I know CurryFord/Crystal Lake strip to Conway Road was called Dover Shores business district in the past. I've also heard West Colonial from Edgewater to OBT called Country Club Heights, Lake Dot Park and Westmoreland. There also used to be a name for the area on OBT from Parliament House to Anderson St. I think I will research this and start a thread on city center neighborhoods. Eola Heights, Lake Davis, Lake Cherokee and Lake Lancaster and Briercliff are neighborhoods but no business districts. The 903 Mills Market is a business in that area.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Park Ave. is definitely my favorite place to visit downtown.. although I can't ever afford anything! It's just such a beautiful area. I chose Mills 50 as well just because I love Dandelion Cafe and Sam Flax. For living, I would want to be in Winter Park or College Park (around Lake Adair). But I've yet to explore a lot of the downtown neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,083,343 times
Baldwin Park, Winter Park, Thornton Park.
To hard to narrow it down.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrowester View Post
Colonialtown business district is in the Mills/50 area, but I've also heard it called Little Saigon, Mills 50, and the area directly on Mills from about Marks St. to Princeton is called The ViMi, which stands for Virginia-Mills. ViMi is supposed to have been created based on the Atlanta neighborhood ViHi (Virginia Highlands.) It's supposed to be a sort of Gayborhood, with the GLBT center, Ritzy Rags, Funky Monkey, Bannanas, Paradise, Sip, Logans Bistro, the Peacock Room and Wally's.
That's interesting, Virginia Highlands is not gritty or eclectic like Mills. I think VH is more similar to College Park or even Park Ave than Mills.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
That's interesting, Virginia Highlands is not gritty or eclectic like Mills. I think VH is more similar to College Park or even Park Ave than Mills.
Spot on observation, Pete!

I would say it's almost an exact blend of these two.

http://www.virginiahighland.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando