Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 17,194 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in Winter Park & my husband will be working at the Orlando International airport. We will be moving from Pembroke Pines (near Ft. Lauderdale) which we absolutely hate (15 years here). We are originally from Indiana and would really like somewhere with some small town old Southern charm. We are looking for a rural area (acreage) within 30-40 minutes of both of our jobs. We would like to spend in the $200,000-250,000 range. Do we have a prayer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 PM

976 posts, read 1,113,534 times
Hey CT23. Winter Park is nice, but that's inside WP. Rural areas are more in the outkirts. I would say try Clermont and that area which you'd probably like, but that might be a bit of a drive from Winter Park. The problem is there are areas East, west, north and south Orlando that are ghetto, and I have a feeling you would like. I dont know you, but coming from Pembroke Pines and hating it, I have a feeling you might not like Orlando much either.

What do you hate about Pembrooke Pines and maybe I can tell you what is different or similar in Orlando. If you say you dont like traffic, crime and terrible/rude drivers, I would say do not move to Orlando. Overall, not much southern charm in Orlando, mostly on the outskirts, just depends on how far you all are willing to drive.

I feel your stress, trust me. I'm a native and I too miss the southern charm and friendliness Orlando once had. Generally, if someone is wanting to leave S FL, Orlando is not a place I'd suggest.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply & sorry I was vague.

First, I have family in Orlando (Windermere). Second, the job is a really great opportunity. Third, I am very familiar with Orlando proper, but long for rural landscapes that are totally missing in South Florida (unless you have 700k+ to live out west). Fourth, I hate the tract & stucco housing, urban feel here. Pembroke Pines is very family suburbia and my children are raised. Finally, I am looking for more of the Mount Dora Old South feel.

I want a clapboard or brick house with a big front porch, a tin roof and a barn for my husband's hobbies, but I am afraid that the commute from the Mount Dora, Sanford, Lake Mary area might be difficult to the Orlando Airport for hubby.

Thanks again :-)

Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Try Chuluota, FL or Christmas, FL

Chuluota Community » About Chuluota

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas,_Florida

Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,984 times
I think you'd like Mt Dora or other areas in lake county.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,803,299 times
I would not want to commute from Mt Dora to OIA or Winter Park every day. You could commute from Sanford to OIA and Winter Park (via Aloma exit) on the 417(Greeneway) but there are a lot of tolls. Check out the Orlando expressway authority website for a map & info of the major tolls roads.

If you hate the stucco box type of neighborhood, you will find a lot of that out in Clermont. Lot sizes tend to be small too in your price range. There are also some older homes near downtown, but not big enough to have a barn. (& downtown is not really in a good school district) Out west of Clermont (Groveland) you can get acreage, but you will be looking at a tough commute and tough schools as well. I think you might be able to find something in areas of Seminole County (east) but it will be tough with that price range and you will have to go further out for sure. Make sure you are not in a floodplain out that way.

The dicey thing about rural living is that you risk being surrounded by folks who are a little more country and a little less educated than you might like. Also, I would check into the schools closely no matter where you look (Sanford, Christmas, Clermont, etc)

Old 09-20-2009, 09:02 PM

976 posts, read 1,113,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I would not want to commute from Mt Dora to OIA or Winter Park every day. You could commute from Sanford to OIA and Winter Park (via Aloma exit) on the 417(Greeneway) but there are a lot of tolls. Check out the Orlando expressway authority website for a map & info of the major tolls roads.

If you hate the stucco box type of neighborhood, you will find a lot of that out in Clermont. Lot sizes tend to be small too in your price range. There are also some older homes near downtown, but not big enough to have a barn. (& downtown is not really in a good school district) Out west of Clermont (Groveland) you can get acreage, but you will be looking at a tough commute and tough schools as well. I think you might be able to find something in areas of Seminole County (east) but it will be tough with that price range and you will have to go further out for sure. Make sure you are not in a floodplain out that way.

The dicey thing about rural living is that you risk being surrounded by folks who are a little more country and a little less educated than you might like. Also, I would check into the schools closely no matter where you look (Sanford, Christmas, Clermont, etc)

Hahaha! I live in a nice area (300-400k homes) and the people are ghetto as hell! I'd much rather live in rural Lake Co and deal with "country and less educated folks" than what I deal with in Waterford Lakes. Nothing wrong with being country, but I cant stand the ghetto culture - and yes - it is in Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, etc...

Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,714,132 times
I live right on the border of Chuluota and we take motorcycle rides out ther frequently...it is the same school district as ours (which is to say, a decent one). And there are lots of farms there. My hubby also works in winter Park, it's not a bad drive. I would definitely check out Chuluota if I were you!

I know Lake Pickett had some rural and horse farms in there...don't know what you might find in your price range...check it out!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Thank you so much everyone! This is a big step and I want it to be a good one with limited stress for health reasons.

I will definitely look into Chuluota. Does anyone have an opinion on Oviedo or Windermere? And what is Wedgefield?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:00 PM

23 posts, read 25,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT23 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply & sorry I was vague.

First, I have family in Orlando (Windermere). Second, the job is a really great opportunity. Third, I am very familiar with Orlando proper, but long for rural landscapes that are totally missing in South Florida (unless you have 700k+ to live out west). Fourth, I hate the tract & stucco housing, urban feel here. Pembroke Pines is very family suburbia and my children are raised. Finally, I am looking for more of the Mount Dora Old South feel.

I want a clapboard or brick house with a big front porch, a tin roof and a barn for my husband's hobbies, but I am afraid that the commute from the Mount Dora, Sanford, Lake Mary area might be difficult to the Orlando Airport for hubby.

Thanks again :-)
There's alot of wooded areas in Windermere, both old and new. There was a big house, with land, like you mentioned, on 535, near Windermere Prep School, for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando