Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 AM

20 posts, read 73,629 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are moving to Florida in late July/ early August. Originally we were planning to apply for the job at the casting center when we got there...but then I found out about wait listing...which is the better idea?

I would prefer to be a Photopass Photographer but I realize that is a hard job to get due to availability and I am willing to do something else. She wants to be a desk clerk at a hotel. Does that affect what we should do? Thank you for any info in advance!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Apply now. Although it is pretty easy to apply once you get there, you can never be too prepared.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover215 View Post
My friend and I are moving to Florida in late July/ early August. Originally we were planning to apply for the job at the casting center when we got there...but then I found out about wait listing...which is the better idea?

I would prefer to be a Photopass Photographer but I realize that is a hard job to get due to availability and I am willing to do something else. She wants to be a desk clerk at a hotel. Does that affect what we should do? Thank you for any info in advance!!!
If you aren't available to come and interview on a moment's notice, do not apply. Employers in the area have enough locals looking for work and will not consider someone who's out of state. Just go by the Casting Center once you've moved down.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:57 AM

193 posts, read 623,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
If you aren't available to come and interview on a moment's notice, do not apply. Employers in the area have enough locals looking for work and will not consider someone who's out of state. Just go by the Casting Center once you've moved down.
Totally agree, AND make sure you have at least 2 months of $$$ for living expenses available in case you can't find that dream job! If you are willing to clean hotel rooms you will be hired immediately ... if not, you will most likely wait for an open position.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Yes we need more unemployed new people in Central FL. I say if you don't have a job waiting for you, its rather dangerous to just "show up" and hope that you get one.

Best of luck regardless.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM

I will have enough to get through for about 3 or 4 months by the time I get there...and I have a pretty good resume when it comes to working at theme parks...7 seasons here. I know they are different, but at least I know a bit more than a person who is just coming and thinks they will like the business. I love the business and want to work in it more than anything. I will do just about anything to get in the door...I am leaning towards applying before I leave but I think I will do it about a month before I come so they have time to look it over and if they call I will be able to give them a fairly quick day for me to come in for an interview. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM

73 posts, read 157,466 times
I've heard that if you're called for interview and aren't in Florida, that your name goes to the bottom of the list and then you wait 6 months for that job to re-apply. Don't know if that's true or not. Also, I frequently get the list of job openings and both of those jobs, (photo-pass photographer and resort front desk), are always being advertised. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover215 View Post
I will have enough to get through for about 3 or 4 months by the time I get there...and I have a pretty good resume when it comes to working at theme parks...7 seasons here. I know they are different, but at least I know a bit more than a person who is just coming and thinks they will like the business. I love the business and want to work in it more than anything. I will do just about anything to get in the door...I am leaning towards applying before I leave but I think I will do it about a month before I come so they have time to look it over and if they call I will be able to give them a fairly quick day for me to come in for an interview. Thanks for the help!
My advice.....wait till you get here. Your spirit may just get you a job quicker when they see you in person. BUT get a job elsewhere waiting tables,
McDonalds.....anywhere so that you have money coming in while waiting to get hired and trained by Disney. Starting up is sort of expensive and 2 to 3 months saved may not get you through the first month. Do you have cars so you both will be abl to get to work at different times and places. There is a bus system but not as good as up North cities have.
Do you have family here that you can stay with till you get a job? Will your family pay to get you back to your home state if things don't go the way you plan?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:12 PM

We both have a car and are preparing to have about 4 or 5 thousand each to get there and hold us over. Should be good enough and our parents will be willing to help us get home if we need to though honestly I will be going to another city as I am completely tired of Oklahoma.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 PM

135 posts, read 439,596 times
Well I work for disney as a bus driver and I applied before we left NC because we wanted to make sure I would have a job and Disney was very adaptable to my schedule of moving to Florida and all. They didnt not pick me because I lived elsewhere. I think in your case since you have a little money saved up, I probably would apply a month before you get here and then you can start the interview process and all. Some jobs there, like the bus driving was a long process to get in with drug testing and background checks and all. I am now working there 10 months and really like it. Wish they paid more for the responsibility I have! lol! The perks are great though!! We go to the parks alot and get our family and friends in so that has been real nice. My husband also works at Disney as a mechanic on Space Mountain but he had to go through a whole different avenue to get there. For those jobs, they hire through the Union halls but I have to say he has a pretty good job and making really good money for Florida. Good Luck in whatever you do!! I would take the advice on this board with a grain of salt and do what you need to do. Dont let anyone tell you that you shouldnt move here because of this or that, do what you feel is the right thing to do. If I listened to half these people, I would have been scared out of my wits to move here and I have to say I like it better than I thought and feel pretty safe! You find out the areas to stay away from! Good Luck!

Noreen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando