Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 AM

398 posts, read 729,641 times

Advertisements

Orlando's state-leading job growth is top-heavy with low-paying tourism jobs - OrlandoSentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 AM

114 posts, read 306,552 times
It's not the growth we want.

But I am sure we will take it at this point.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Any growth is good growth right now. Of course we would prefer to have better paying jobs fueling our recovery but in this economy where we just need people to get back to work, we need these jobs. Also bare in mind although our local economy is diversifying, Tourism and Hospitality is still our biggest industry. We have to accept and embrace that. As the base of our current economy it should be expected that it will generate the most jobs before other sectors. Look at it this way, would you rather have a headline that says 15,0000 job still missing from local economy?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
If you take a job that pays little, it is possible to advance and earn more. The "I want $20 an hour because I am" is not possible, never was, never will be. Its called starting from the bottom and working your way up. Its been that way for as long as I can remember. People can start as stock clerks and become upper level managers. Not everyone of course. But without starting from the bottom, they will never be able to find out if they can or not.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you take a job that pays little, it is possible to advance and earn more. The "I want $20 an hour because I am" is not possible, never was, never will be. Its called starting from the bottom and working your way up. Its been that way for as long as I can remember. People can start as stock clerks and become upper level managers. Not everyone of course. But without starting from the bottom, they will never be able to find out if they can or not.
Seems we see more eye to eye in non political threads because this is a statement I agree with 100%. I've personally done it at a few different F500's that I've worked at including Winn-Dixie, Bank of America, and Darden Restaurants. Were the benefits absolutely pathetic and almost unattainable as I was climbing the ladder, yes. However, it really only took me a few years to become an important, and valuable team member who was always a front runner for any promotions. Plus the job titles and caliber of company helped me land a much better job with a small company since the CEO admired some of the companies I had worked for.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
I don't see how this can be spun in a negative way. Orlando is, first and foremost, a tourism town. Orlando has a large population of service industry workers that live here for that reason. A rise in the availability of these jobs means these people might not have to resort to crime to get food on the table. I could be wrong there, but that is what I am thinking. It also means that people are travelling again and spending their money here, and paying tourist taxes to the city.

Of course we need to diversify in other industries, but tourism is still the bread and butter. The more service industry jobs the better since there are so many people here that need those types of jobs.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Pete I can't rep you anymore but if they had a "Super Agree" option I would hit it for your post. Couldn't have said it better.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Very good points Pete, I'm a little down about O-town today since one of the shows I listen to lead with the fall of WMFE public tv, Dwight possibly leaving, and some Festival of the Orchestras that we lost as well. They were also asking the greater question about Orlando's identity, and if we're nothing more than a mid sized city dependent on Disney and such. Normally I'm not susceptible to this sorta self-loathing from an Orlando radio station (it's expected), but today it hit me hard. Now I think WMFE blew so hasta luego, but it speaks to economic reality of the past few years and how this area has been uniquely affected. IDK, they even used the word "tiny" when talking about Dwight heading off to a bigger market which doesn't seem accurate for a top 20 TV market. I like to think of myself as a realist and am beginning to wonder if I'm just jaded and need to accept that Orlando really is a one horse little town.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:52 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Like I said, I am not political, just a realist. That is what I think the problem is these days. Nobody wants to start at the bottom and put in the time.
They want to start in the middle.

I like your attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Seems we see more eye to eye in non political threads because this is a statement I agree with 100%. I've personally done it at a few different F500's that I've worked at including Winn-Dixie, Bank of America, and Darden Restaurants. Were the benefits absolutely pathetic and almost unattainable as I was climbing the ladder, yes. However, it really only took me a few years to become an important, and valuable team member who was always a front runner for any promotions. Plus the job titles and caliber of company helped me land a much better job with a small company since the CEO admired some of the companies I had worked for.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Very good points Pete, I'm a little down about O-town today since one of the shows I listen to lead with the fall of WMFE public tv, Dwight possibly leaving, and some Festival of the Orchestras that we lost as well. They were also asking the greater question about Orlando's identity, and if we're nothing more than a mid sized city dependent on Disney and such. Normally I'm not susceptible to this sorta self-loathing from an Orlando radio station (it's expected), but today it hit me hard. Now I think WMFE blew so hasta luego, but it speaks to economic reality of the past few years and how this area has been uniquely affected. IDK, they even used the word "tiny" when talking about Dwight heading off to a bigger market which doesn't seem accurate for a top 20 TV market. I like to think of myself as a realist and am beginning to wonder if I'm just jaded and need to accept that Orlando really is a one horse little town.
You should read the Orlando Sentinel blogs if you want to see some real haters. Most sunbelt cities have problems. The cities that are doing well are all cold weather, and I personally can't live in that. I lived in Atlanta for many years and wanted to leave due to the cold season. To each his own I guess. I really don't get the identity talk. Orlando has a strong identity as a haven for theme parks. That is an identity as much as any industry formed identities of other cities IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando