Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 AM

32 posts, read 78,387 times

Advertisements

does anybody know apartments that do not require the rentor to make 3 times as much as the monthly rent? I need a safe 1 bedroom between UCF and valencia or a max.20 minute drive away. most places that are recommended cost between 800-1000 for a small unit. What student makes 4000 dollars?? Cosigner- requirements are just as ridiculous :

If a Lease Contract Guarantor is required or authorized, the Guarantor gross monthly income must also equal four times the monthly rent in order to qualify as a Guarantor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Those guidelines are in place to deter "undesirable tenants" from moving in. They're waived a great percentage of time.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey08 View Post
most places that are recommended cost between 800-1000 for a small unit. What student makes 4000 dollars?? Cosigner- requirements are just as ridiculous :

If a Lease Contract Guarantor is required or authorized, the Guarantor gross monthly income must also equal four times the monthly rent in order to qualify as a Guarantor.
$800-$1000 a month times 3...would only be $2400-$3000.... May need to look into finding a better school too :P

But seriously, do your parents make $38,400-$48000 a year? That doesn't seem unreasonable especially if they have their own rent/mortgage to worry about.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Try Craigslist for privately owned condos. They are just as nice, if not nicer and they usually only ask for a security deposit equal to one months rent.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
When I was looking at the possibility of moving, I used rentalhomesplus.com to search. Beckycat is correct in that you may find better deals with condos, but move-in costs will be significantly more expensive than an apartment complex.

The place that I was interested in wanted a $600 security deposit, $45 application fee for the property management firm, a $150 non-refundable administrative fee upon approval, and $75 for the HOA application. This would be on top of the $600 first month's rent I would have to pay when I moved in, which most likely would have overlapped a bit with my current apartment. However, the $600 rent for the neighborhood and it being 2 bedroom was a steal. However, the start up costs just weren't going to happen for me.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:59 PM

I would much rather rent a privately locally owned house/condo/townhouse instead of living in one of the apartment communities. Im thinking it would feel kind of like living in a hotel and I would most likely miss my privacy when having to share a pool/gym/yard with all the others. The income requirement problem is solved as my dad who makes 60 000 a year offered to co sign . However, I have not been very succesfull in finding a suitable place in my price range. I have been recommended La Palazza, The Landmark and Motevista and I am sure they are nice and safe but all start out at around 1000 for a one bedroom. My wife and I will both get part time jobs on top of the 1400 housing allowance but we would like to keep our rent cost at about 700... Im starting to think thats impossible in Orlando if I want safety.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
I would much rather rent a privately locally owned house/condo/townhouse instead of living in one of the apartment communities. Im thinking it would feel kind of like living in a hotel and I would most likely miss my privacy when having to share a pool/gym/yard with all the others. The income requirement problem is solved as my dad who makes 60 000 a year offered to co sign . However, I have not been very succesfull in finding a suitable place in my price range. I have been recommended La Palazza, The Landmark and Motevista and I am sure they are nice and safe but all start out at around 1000 for a one bedroom. My wife and I will both get part time jobs on top of the 1400 housing allowance but we would like to keep our rent cost at about 700... Im starting to think thats impossible in Orlando if I want safety.
Not true. Do you have to stay in Orlando or can you live in one of the outlying burbs? There are nice condos in Lake Mary and Longwood that are privately owned in your price range.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 PM

we actually stayed in lake mary when we visited orlando last may. Since we are going to be taking classes at Valencia's West Campus and later at UCF, lake mary is too far of a drive to school and back everyday. Instead of a suburb up north like lake mary, is there anything besides windermere and dr.phillips that is a safe and affordable suburb close to those campuses and within our price range?

Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Instead of a suburb up north like lake mary, is there anything besides windermere and dr.phillips that is a safe and affordable suburb close to those campuses and within our price range?
Pretty much anywhere in nearby Oviedo would meet that criteria as well as your budget. You'll find condos in the $900 range, townhouses for a bit over $1000 and some single family homes for $1300-$1400.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,534 times
Quote:
does anybody know apartments that do not require the rentor to make 3 times as much as the monthly rent? I need a safe 1 bedroom between UCF and valencia or a max.20 minute drive away. most places that are recommended cost between 800-1000 for a small unit. What student makes 4000 dollars?? Cosigner- requirements are just as ridiculous :

I thought the rule was a weeks income for a months rent. Have things changed that much???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando