Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

This would be a good question for Pete C

Im exploring 3 options once I return to Orlando as far as neighborhoods

Im looking into Hunters Creek/Southchase/Meadow Woods again (if I attend UTI or Mid-Florida Tech, I'll be relatively close to school), another option is far east Orlando (Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, maybe a place along University Blvd by UCF, or along Alafaya), and the last being Downtown (east of I-4, College Park, Thornton Park, Colonialtown, close to Colonial Plaza)

I already know south and eastern Orlando really well, and granted I did spend a lot of time downtown, I dont really know too much about living there, does anybody here live there now? If so whats it like and why did you choose it over suburban Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Hey DavieJ, glad to tell you my thoughts. First, the downside...price and homeless. Living downtown is expensive and can take up quite a bit of your paycheck. One place to look is Eola Heights as there are several multi-family homes there like duplexes and triplexes that are rented out separately, or try to find a roomate. I have found no real one-stop shop to find all of the available rental units, so one way is to just hit the streets, walk around and look for 'For Rent' signs. The other main issue living downtown is just encountering a lot of homeless people. They are pretty much everywhere, and you will see several each day. It is just part of living down here. They typically don't bother anyone, but every once in a while you will come across a crazy one yelling at everyone.

The upside, however, is that the neighborhoods are historic and beautiful. To me these are the prettiest neighborhoods due to the old trees and charming homes. Walking around is just very pleasant, and there always other people out and about so it feels very social. I don't feel the rudeness so much down here either as many people nod or smile as you walk past. The Publix is easy to walk to from many places, there is a ton of nightlife of course, and things like art walks and galleries are starting to take root. The arts center is coming, the amway center is right there too, and a lot more development is bound to start up again soon...you can sense it as long-empty places are filling up. SunRail will have 2 stops downtown and the free Lymmo is going to be extended to Thornton Park and Parramore if approved.

We prefer downtown living just because there is usually something going on around you at all times, but it's not so crazy like living in an truly urban city center like those in the NE. I just like having things in walking distance and also it is fun to watch as they develop. Suburbs to me are just a bit boring. I mean, we may end up moving to a suburb to raise a family, but if possible we would prefer to stay here if we can find the right house in Thornton Park, Eola Heights, Colonialtown, or Delaney Park. College Park is another cool neighborhood with a neat vibe...I am considering there too once ready to buy. For now, we rent and wait for the right place to come along.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Great post Pete, pretty much hit it right on the head as far as pros and cons. For myself personally I chose downtown initially for financial reasons. I used to live back in Apopka and worked downtown. I drove along the 429 to Turnpike to 408 almost daily. When gas went above $3.50/gallon, between gas and tolls I was paying right around $450-$500/month just to get to and from work (on top of rent and everything else). Not too mention I was spending at least 1 hr a day commuting. I found some co-workers in the same situation and we found a house together downtown, divided my rent share was close to what I paid before. I immediately noticed the savings from my reduced commute to almost non-existent commute. On top of that I went from putting over 30k miles on my car one year, to less than half that saving the value of my car. Not only was I was driving less for work, but anytime I needed groceries, food, clothing, etc, instead of driving 10-15 minutes I rarely ever drove anything over 2 miles if I drove at all. This to me was the biggest appeal. After that I decided until I was ready to buy or raise a family I would keep renting downtown.

I have been living downtown for about 5 years now and I must say the lifestyle is what keeps me here. I can now walk to pretty much anything. And if I feel like taking a drive, I jump in my car and jump on any of the numerous major roads that intersect downtown and go wherever my heart desires. Additionally, there is ALWAYS something going on. If I have no plans for the weekend I just walk down to Lake Eola or Church St. or Wall St. and there's always some sort of festival, fair, farmer's market, concert, etc going on. When there are big events downtown (New Year's, Halloween, 4th of July, Concerts, Magic game) I never have to worry about parking or "beating the traffic" after the event. And mostly, even with the homeless and noise, I love the Vibe here. It really does feel much different than being in the burbs. I come down to the lobby of my building and everyone knows each other and stops to talk. I walk around the downtown and to the Park and although people tend to keep to themselves (just like most urban environments) you still get the feeling of being part of this downtown community we have. It's a young, lively, vibrant atmosphere, but not so busy like the big cities. And for a young single guy there are not many other places in the metro where you will easily run into other young singles. Granted it's not for everyone, and when I decide to settle down and have a family I may very well move to one of the better school districts, but for now, I can't see myself living any other way.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
It is true downtown is pretty high for rentals and even purchases for what you get. If you are going to school at UCF then I'd situate closer to that as it will account for most of your transportation. what you save in rent will cover the toll on the 408 for a few times a week you head to downtown.

Youy may also find some of the bars close to campus will be appealing some of the week. Guess I'd pick East Orlando if my school was UCF. now it it is VCC east or Rollins then Winter Park or Baldwin , or Colonial town would be my choice.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
When we initially moved here last year, we rented downtown for convenience and to learn the area. At the time, we had every intention of buying in Winter Park. After living here, I had no desire to live anywhere else. Your close to the 408 and I4, you're going against traffic nearly everywhere you go, and you can walk to everything that other people avoid d/t congestion/traffic/parking. We ended up buying in Lake Cherokee and haven't regretted our decision for a second.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:46 PM

A taste of downtown living

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4391430&type=1
Audubon Park Garden District | A Unique and Funky Neighborhood in Downtown Orlando
https://www.facebook.com/media/album...88288621181966
Events | Orlando | Cox Media Group (http://www.coxmediagroup.com/orlando/events/ - broken link)

Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the opinions on downtown you guys

If I do choose DT, most likely Id be renting a room

Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 11,079 times
I've lived here in Colonialtown for over 5 years now (I've also lived in other parts of Orlando) and I think it's a nice area to be in. I like the fact that I can walk to Lake Eola and go to all the downtown events without worrying about parking; it's also so convenient to other parts of the city; I can be in Downtown Disney in 20 minutes or in Sanford in 20 minutes. In Colonialtown I haven't seen much of a problem with the homeless; of course they are around but they don't seem to cause any trouble. Lake Eola Heights is a gorgeous area but it sees a lot of traffic/parking issues because of the Lake Eola events.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsGirl79 View Post
I've lived here in Colonialtown for over 5 years now (I've also lived in other parts of Orlando) and I think it's a nice area to be in. I like the fact that I can walk to Lake Eola and go to all the downtown events without worrying about parking; it's also so convenient to other parts of the city; I can be in Downtown Disney in 20 minutes or in Sanford in 20 minutes. In Colonialtown I haven't seen much of a problem with the homeless; of course they are around but they don't seem to cause any trouble. Lake Eola Heights is a gorgeous area but it sees a lot of traffic/parking issues because of the Lake Eola events.
Is Marks Street considered part of Colonialtown? I have a good freind who lives over there he and I have hung out a few times

Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Is Marks Street considered part of Colonialtown? I have a good freind who lives over there he and I have hung out a few times
Marks street east of Mills is Colonialtowne North. West of Mills is Park Lake Highland or uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando