Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I will be posting a link to this in the Orlando photo thread as well, but I felt to achieve what I was looking for, I needed to start a new thread. Today, August 16th, 2011 I went around the usual parts of Orlando and tried to take some really good and really random shots of the City Beautiful. I took a no holds barred approach and anything goes, even the ugly. One immediate observation I made is that unlike the mid 2000's when cranes dominated the skyline during the condo boom, Orlando seems to have little to no high rise activity going on. I began to get very upset, started to think maybe Orlando's boom days are over for awhile a la Recession. Then it dawned on me, the new PAC is already going vertical, SunRail is finally on track, the new Amway Center is nearly a year old, and Orlando has a new soccer team squatting at the Citrus Bowl until their MLS ambitions are realized and a new stadium can be built. So while we don't have many new condos going up right now, some major community attributes are in the works or have already been completed. So enjoy fellow CDers, we have a great city out there, feel free to start a discussion or add photos to this thread.

Ready to Roll

Such a wonderful sight to see, construction in full swing at the new PAC

This one won't be here for long

I hope they give this gem the overhaul it deserves when it becomes a SunRail station

A quick stop for lunch, but so many choices...

Ah, this will do

Found $3 worth of quarters in my cup holder and walked away with this

Sadly, it was Gone in 60 Seconds

This sign gives the phrase "Parking in Rear" a new meaning

Thought maybe I could get a few shots of the new fountain, well I guess I did...

Whew it's hot, thank God I'm in my car. Also notice the FM station for those of you who need an alternative to right wing talk radio in O-town

More Growth

Got some water before heading home

Closing time

Thanks for stopping by

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 08-16-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Interesting shots! Makes me want to go out and shoot some of the city myself

Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Interesting shots! Makes me want to go out and shoot some of the city myself
I recommend you do, would love to see them.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Great pics ORL thanks for sharing.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Great pics ORL thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I wish I could have highlighted more of the construction going on, but my photos shifted to Orlando buildings, architecture, and misc.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM

114 posts, read 306,581 times
Great pictures.

Also nice story along with the pics.

I just came back from Orlando, I didn't want to leave.

I have 3 more weeks in NYC and I am back!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
Great pictures.

Also nice story along with the pics.

I just came back from Orlando, I didn't want to leave.

I have 3 more weeks in NYC and I am back!
Thanks Rocky, I see your return date of Sept 2011 is nearing, that's great. Actually, I don't know how you stand NYC in the summer. Hot subways lines, limited AC in buildings, and walking everywhere in the ultimate urban heat island. I try to visit NYC every other fall around my birthday and Thanksgiving because it's cold but not at its worst for this Florida boy. NY to me is only fun when you get to wear these neat jackets, scarves, and leather gloves that we don't get to wear here. I've only been to NYC once in the summer and truthfully I didn't enjoy myself in shorts and flip flops. So much nicer to tuck into a coffee shop or restaurant with frost on the window than in the summer when it's hotter inside the buildings than out. You'll be moving back to Orlando as soon as it starts to cool down, by the end of October, you'll be golden. 70 degree days, cool crisp nights, and no snow, no ice, no gloom.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Those were some interesting shots and I'm glad that you "went for it" allowing yourself to photograph anything. What many do not understand is that it IS those "anything" photos that usually turn out to be the most interesting.

To them, it's just a food cart, to someone with a good eye, it's a great photograph.

Anyway, I don't get that upside down building. The one with the green bus and motorcycle driving in front of it...the building is upside down? What? Is that photoshop? What IS that?! (Photo #15)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 AM

114 posts, read 306,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Thanks Rocky, I see your return date of Sept 2011 is nearing, that's great. Actually, I don't know how you stand NYC in the summer. Hot subways lines, limited AC in buildings, and walking everywhere in the ultimate urban heat island. I try to visit NYC every other fall around my birthday and Thanksgiving because it's cold but not at its worst for this Florida boy. NY to me is only fun when you get to wear these neat jackets, scarves, and leather gloves that we don't get to wear here. I've only been to NYC once in the summer and truthfully I didn't enjoy myself in shorts and flip flops. So much nicer to tuck into a coffee shop or restaurant with frost on the window than in the summer when it's hotter inside the buildings than out. You'll be moving back to Orlando as soon as it starts to cool down, by the end of October, you'll be golden. 70 degree days, cool crisp nights, and no snow, no ice, no gloom.

I came up here for my career. I think I got what I needed.

So now I ready to come home.

But you are right, NYC is a different animal. There are many aspects that are annoying about NYC, but there are also some great things that just cant be replicated.

Regardless, I want to come home.

Keep the pictures coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Those were some interesting shots and I'm glad that you "went for it" allowing yourself to photograph anything. What many do not understand is that it IS those "anything" photos that usually turn out to be the most interesting.

To them, it's just a food cart, to someone with a good eye, it's a great photograph.

Anyway, I don't get that upside down building. The one with the green bus and motorcycle driving in front of it...the building is upside down? What? Is that photoshop? What IS that?! (Photo #15)
Thank you so much for checking out the photos and for taking the time to comment. The building is on International Drive and is an interactive science experience known as Wonder Works. For about $20 it's a good way to kill a couple of hours and many tourists do just that. So no, no Photoshop involved, just interesting "architecture" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
I came up here for my career. I think I got what I needed.

So now I ready to come home.

But you are right, NYC is a different animal. There are many aspects that are annoying about NYC, but there are also some great things that just cant be replicated.

Regardless, I want to come home.

Keep the pictures coming!!!!!!!!!!!!
True. I know what you mean about NYC, certainly it's own appeal, I just think summers there are unbearable. Autumn in New York is glorious to me, the leaves, pumpkins, hot soup, fashionable layers, hot chocolate, uhh bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando