Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,227 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Florida from Oklahoma. We have a choice of living in the Orlando area, or the Ft. Lauderdale area. While I was researching some of the smaller cities in the Orlando area, I was quite impressed overall.
What I would like to know is what are some of the closest public beaches? We have been to Cocoa Beach, and I believe that's about an hour away, but where are some others, especially nice for families, that is not too far of a drive?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM

28 posts, read 180,472 times
Just about anywhere on the east coast is better for family. It is about an hour and a half away, but worth it. The east coast, the water is warmer and not the waves . Try in St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Treasure Island. If you want to go farther, then Bradenton, Sarasota are really nice.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 PM

307 posts, read 2,106,456 times
new smyrna beach is great, i go there all the time and i used to live over there too. i bring my daughter, and there is even a section of beach to bring the leashed dogs too! i live in lake mary which is in between the beach and orlando. pm me anytime for any questions!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,664 times
I agree with rholborn. New Smyrna beach is my favorite beach to go to. I really hate Daytona Beach, too crowded and touristy.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,453 times
Beaches close to Greator Orlando are:

Daytona, Ormand, Port Orange (fun)
Ponce Inlet (nice)
New Smyrna (where all of the Greator Orlando High School kids go)
Canaveral National Seashore, Playlinda (30 mile streach of national park beach) (beautiful)
Cocoa Beach (nice, fun)
Cape Canaveral (good surf)

Old 08-24-2007, 11:19 PM

57 posts, read 156,585 times
If living near a beach is your priority then I would have to say Ft. Lauderdale is the clear winner here. World class all the way with everything else to offer. It is the boating and yachting capital of the U.S. Shopping and nightlife galore. You need to visit to see if you will like it as parts are very congested.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:28 PM

25 posts, read 85,700 times
Gosh, if I could afford to live in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd be there. No bones about it.

I live in Orlando but the beach that I visit depends on my mood. I tend to head East when I go to the beach on a spur of the moment and need to save on time. New Smyrna is my favorite choice there.

But when I know a day in advance that I am going to the beach, the choice is always St. Pete.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 10,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattipatti View Post
We are relocating to Florida from Oklahoma. We have a choice of living in the Orlando area, or the Ft. Lauderdale area. While I was researching some of the smaller cities in the Orlando area, I was quite impressed overall.
What I would like to know is what are some of the closest public beaches? We have been to Cocoa Beach, and I believe that's about an hour away, but where are some others, especially nice for families, that is not too far of a drive?
Thanks

lol, I moved from moore, OK to FLA as well about 6 years ago, was born and raised there. Best move I ever made. I moved to the Deland area, I loved it there. Close to everything without all the hustle and bustle of Orlando. I agree, I love New Smyrna beach, it's beatiful and quieter than Daytona. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattipatti View Post
Neither city is cheap to live in, if that matters to you. Both places are crowded. There are many more people in the Tampa-St. Pete and Orlando areas than in the entire state of Oklahoma. So... does crowding bug you at all? How about the fact that in many areas of Orlando you will get funny looks if you enter an establishment, even a national chain, and are white and don't speak Spanish?

Frankly, I'd stay in Oklahoma. Tulsa is a nice place, a real city (unlike Orlando) with real history and many nice neighborhoods, and unless you have a good job lined up here, it will not work out. People are less friendly here too, many are downright cold and rude. Crime is about the same but unlike in Tulsa crime is everywhere in Orlando. Ft. Lauterdale I don't know as much about, other than it is expensive to live there and south Florida in general is very built up... do you like urbanized eyesores?

Deland is OK but it is more rural in that area. Sanford is a nice town and it is north of Orlando. It looks poorer and less sophisticated superficially but there is actually more there than in Orlando and the nearby suburbs and towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando