Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone - I have a question regarding how far money goes in Orlando. Briefly, I am in the finance industry and will be relocating from Boston to Orlando with my company in March. I know nothing about the area and wanted to get some feedback on affordability.

My situation is that I have a family of four and my salary range is in the $300K per year range. What can i expect to experience in terms of buying power for house, insurance, good and other services in Orlando?

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It's less expensive here but not greatly. The biggest difference will come via housing options. All in all according to this the cost of living calculator it's 25% less overall which is about right in my opinion.

PayScale - Orlando Relocation Cost

Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
A 300k salary will go much farther in O'ville. Housing is cheap cheap cheap. You should have your pic of any neighborhood including Winter Park.
No state income tax and cheap real estate put you in a very good place.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
I suggest something in the Pine Hills area. $300k/ year will be plenty there.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
I suggest something in the Pine Hills area. $300k/ year will be plenty there.
That's a joke, right?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
A 300k salary will go much farther in O'ville. Housing is cheap cheap cheap. You should have your pic of any neighborhood including Winter Park.
No state income tax and cheap real estate put you in a very good place.
Not necessarily. It depends upon where the OP currently lives. If they're in Beacon Hill or Back Bay for instance, the trade-off here is Old Winter Park or maybe a penthouse downtown. One can move from pretty much any city to another and downgrade into something less expensive, however most people compare current living conditions. Furthermore most individuals here making 300K aren't living in Conway, Altamonte Springs or Waterford Lakes.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Nice (for lack of a better word) to hear that someone in Orlando will be making more than $10 per hour lol. In all seriousness, you would be fine in any city at that payrate. How far that money will go in Orlando has more to do with personal lifestyle than COL as you could overextend yourself by buying a multi-million dollar estate in Isleworth, 5 nice cars, huge boat, court side seats at the AM for 13k per year, country club membership fees, send your kids to pricey private schools, pay ridiculous (golf) course fees, and eat 5 course meals at fine dining restaurants every night. Now to some people, blowing your money on all that is still considered making 300k go far in Orlando and I'm confident you could do just about everything I listed on this type of an income.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:54 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not necessarily. It depends upon where the OP currently lives. If they're in Beacon Hill or Back Bay for instance, the trade-off here is Old Winter Park or maybe a penthouse downtown. One can move from pretty much any city to another and downgrade into something less expensive, however most people compare current living conditions. Furthermore most individuals here making 300K aren't living in Conway, Altamonte Springs or Waterford Lakes.
Bottom line is 300k will afford a nice lifestyle in Orlando. Especially coming from Mass. Pretty much any neighborhood will be open to him with that salary range.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's a joke, right?
That's just pure unadulterated jealousy ...

Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM

34 posts, read 133,147 times
So let me start with the obvious, at $300K in Orlando, you will be off to a great start. Your question is legitimate considering that if this was LA or New York, the fact is that your salary would afford you a nice, middle-class living but in Orlando you will be able to spring for a few of the extra goodies. So my take is that auto insurance will be favorable as will housing (of course) and some services. Food won't budge and neither will gas prices but you can more than make up for that.

If it were me, I would focus on getting into a great neighborhood, pay extra to stay away from the crime and traffic then figure out schooling. The advantage for you (not knowing your other obligations) is that you can elect to go to private school which helps with housing flexibility.

LOL - be careful where you park that Benz or Porsche or BMW (or whatever your driving) because those types of cars are "eye openers" here and while your car may or may not get stolen, things aren't great down here financially and you could find your door getting keyed by jealous Orlando folks (like the guy who told you to go Pine Hills above). Good luck - enjoy in good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando