Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Why don't they do an episode of COPS in Orlando, if crime is that bad? It should make for a good episode.

Why dont they get people that dont think its that bad and make them walk around on foot in some places instead of driving through and sitting behind a computer?

I know what you are saying and its not like we are living in the most terrible place on earth or something but people that really dont know the area get confused because they think we have Disney and Universal and that would make people not want to commit crimes right?.......Well it is just like living in any other city in the U.S. except we have a very large Puerto Rican population and a large Caribean population........if you go to Milwakee or Cleveland or any of those other cities you wont find as much diversity as in Orlando.........The difference is that we are seeing a spike in the crime problem right now that is not normal for this area and people here are scarred and are wondering if it will get back to how it used to be.....which is a "good" reason to post about the problems in the city.....

I bet they could do a great show of Cops in Orlando.......Actually the first season of Cops was filmed exclusivly in Florida because the crime problem was so bad back then ........The creators thought that the South Florida area would bring good ratings and since the culture down there isnt too much different then here then you can see some of those elements throughout Florida and they have always been here.......

I love living in Orlando and there is alot to keep yourself occupied but i would be lying if i said that this was the best area for anyone to move to.......there are lots of road rage inccedents here (more than any other state ive lived in) and people look at you like you are dumb 85% of the time when you tell them a simple hello, and there seems to be a ghetto area within a couple miles from any suburb out here......but we do have nice weather most of the year and beaches are close by

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 08-30-2007 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 04:30 PM

239 posts, read 799,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justagirl5 View Post
stupid flanders....very appropriate for you.
As if I've never heard that one before...sheesh...small town for small minds!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Get back on topic and don't flame, bashing, or personal attacks.
OK, I've just about HAD IT! Anyone outside of Orlando reading these posts would think that this is the cesspool of the US! Folks, I've been to many places in the US and Orlando is nowhere near as bad as you all are making it out to be! I've been here for over 25 years and yes, Orlando has changed (what hasn't?) but there is a lot of good here too! [b][Now before you get all mad at me, hear me out -- one main purpose of these forums are to help others learn about the area,/B] not to illustrate every instance of road rage, high electric bills, or whatever else that has you upset at the moment. All places and people have problems -- just as all places and people have good things too.

You are really scaring off those that are interested in the area - quit using the forum as your personal dumping ground! What makes you think that your problems are problems for other people too?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Why dont they get people that dont think its that bad and make them walk around on foot in some places instead of driving through and sitting behind a computer?

I know what you are saying and its not like we are living in the most terrible place on earth or something but people that really dont know the area get confused because they think we have Disney and Universal and that would make people not want to commit crimes right?.......Well it is just like living in any other city in the U.S. except we have a very large Puerto Rican population and a large Caribean population........if you go to Milwakee or Cleveland or any of those other cities you wont find as much diversity as in Orlando.........The difference is that we are seeing a spike in the crime problem right now that is not normal for this area and people here are scarred and are wondering if it will get back to how it used to be.....which is a "good" reason to post about the problems in the city.....check out "the good, the bad, and the ugly of Orlando " post that i made......i put up pictures of areas of Orlando that i have been in the last couple weeks ...that way people "see" all sides of the city.....and they can then judge for themselves whether or not they would visit or stay in a certain area of Orlando

I bet they could do a great show of Cops in Orlando.......Actually the first season of Cops was filmed exclusivly in Florida because the crime problem was so bad back then ........The creators thought that the South Florida area would bring good ratings and since the culture down there isnt too much different then here then you can see some of those elements throughout Florida and they have always been here.......

I love living in Orlando and there is alot to keep yourself occupied but i would be lying if i said that this was the best area for anyone to move to.......there are lots of road rage inccedents here (more than any other state ive lived in) and people look at you like you are dumb 85% of the time when you tell them a simple hello, and there seems to be a ghetto area within a couple miles from any suburb out here......but we do have nice weather most of the year and beaches are close by

If you read closely ...i love living in Orlando but people that don't live here think that Mickey Mouse somehow makes us immune to a real ghetto or real problems in our city.....I have experienced crime as a victim here and have been in fights from road rage inncedents and seen all the bad problems in traffic that people are talking about....these are facts in my personal life....sorry if some people can't relate to this......i have lived in 5 states and seen bad areas in a couple of those and i was too young to remember seeing "bad" areas in the others but my point is that Orlando has "real" problems like other places but it has its own twist of how things go in this city....outsiders assume they have worse areas and that nothing in Orlando could ever compare to where they came from because Mickey Mouse protects Orlando .....Lol

Old 08-30-2007, 05:55 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times
Like I've said before on this forum, anyone using this forum needs to go visit the place they want to move to and make up their own mind. This forum is good for finding out things that are quantifiable like rents and insurance, but there is also a lot of bull on here about things like rudeness and lack of friendliness of people in the area.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM

80 posts, read 291,276 times
I must say that I was getting turned off to Central Fl after reading all of the negativity but now I am realizing that people will always see what they want to. The people who's glasses are half full will see the good and the half empties are walking around as victims of circumstance. There are pros and cons of just about everywhere. I had a Grandfather who was mugged and died in Manhattan in the early 70's, an Aunt who was murdered by her chauffer (spelling?) in Arizona 4 months after leaving Long Island in the late 80's and a friend who's cousin was abducted for prostitution here on LI when we were kids in around 1980. Not to mention all the people I lost in their 30's and 40's to heart attacks, cancer, and drug over doses. I come from an upper middle income upbringing and am a single 41 yo Mom of a pre-teen daughter. I have been contemplating moving to the Disney area for 12-18 months and am glad that I did not allow some of the ding bats on this site to bring me into their doom and gloom mentalities (although I was buying into it for a while). Someone had mentioned they had sent out 11 resumes and went on a bunch of interviews and got no call backs...couldn't have been the negative attitude, could it?
If you want to work, you will make it happen...I don't expect anyone to knock on my door and offer me a great job. If I can't compete because I don't have a BA degree, then I can't blame others for my lack. My friend told me there was a good job market in Orlando and it should continue to grow.I believe him. In fact he is in real estate a "bad" business to be in now, right? For some maybe, but he has found his niche and he is making mega $$$. I have made the decision to do the same.
I just came back from Fl. hopefully for only a month or so, so I could finish my business here and then finally move down permanently...love LI but I needed a change and I think I have found a city with momentum similar to NY... just a bit different...Road rage may be similar. The people living in my new neighborhood are from all over the world and so far everyone has been nice and helpful. Keep in mind positive attracts positive and ditto for negative.

I really think that there are plenty of people who are exagerating because they are intimidated by the Easterners moving in. Lighten up, the majority are nice people. We may be hearing from many of the negatives because the others are out there busy making good things happen

Last edited by Long Island Mermaid; 08-30-2007 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
"Orlando is part of the United States"

it is? i didnt get a job at a financial institution because i didnt speak spanish.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Yes the weather is gorgeous in the Fall thru Spring but when your major employer with a mouse is averaging $7 - $9 per hour and a house costs $240k do I have to do the math for you?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"Orlando is part of the United States"

it is? i didnt get a job at a financial institution because i didnt speak spanish.
and what does that have to do with anything?? maybe you weren't qualified for the position. i dont walk around saying "they didnt hire me because im puerto rican"... and anyways why would you want to work somewhere where they want "spanish speakers" only? doesn't that mean there is a lot of spanish customers?.....& also to whoever made the comment of learning english before you get here, why dont you try and learn another language as an adult. i only know english because i started kindergarten here, children absorb information quicker than adults! <----LOL, sorry to get off topic! i just had to say it

Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 AM

88 posts, read 846,957 times
Default Customers?

Maybe this was mandated because they wanted to offer a good service to their Hispanic customers as well as others? Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando