Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 23,823 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to the Deltona, FL area. I visited the area in August to visit my mom who relocated there earlier this year. I like where I live now, great weather, quality of life etc. What I don’t like is the low wages, high cost of living, and uncertainty. I enjoy bass fishing, so that is one reason I am considering the area, its close to a lot of lakes. I can stay for a while with my mom so that is one reason why Deltona is on my radar.

I’m a single 24 year old male with no dependents, have a few years of management experience in ranging fields from retail to construction. I am about a year away from finishing my degree (business economics, which i can do through the my school’s online program. I am open to different types of positions, and willing to commute up to an hour. What kind of outlook can I expect on looking for a job? I would be looking to move in May or June of 2012, and would like to secure a position before making the 5k mile trek.

What resources are the best for job searching? I am perusing craigslist but most of the listings seem like where I’m at..scams. For those of you who have relocated here are you happy, or do you regret the move? I have lived in different places, most recently I worked in Atlanta for about 8 months managing a supply company. I just recently got back to Hawaii but the outlook has not improved and I am working in a position that has no upward mobility, and subpar wages (looking for something else currently as well). I would have considered staying in Atlanta but I am not a fan of cold weather, or not being able to go to the beach within a fairly short drive.

If anyone has suggestions or input I’m all ears. I would also be interested in any types of job opportunities you may have. I have my resume, as well as recomendation letters available.

Mahalo for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,093,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808transplant View Post
I am considering relocating to the Deltona, FL area. I visited the area in August to visit my mom who relocated there earlier this year. I like where I live now, great weather, quality of life etc. What I don’t like is the low wages, high cost of living, and uncertainty. I enjoy bass fishing, so that is one reason I am considering the area, its close to a lot of lakes. I can stay for a while with my mom so that is one reason why Deltona is on my radar.

I’m a single 24 year old male with no dependents, have a few years of management experience in ranging fields from retail to construction. I am about a year away from finishing my degree (business economics, which i can do through the my school’s online program. I am open to different types of positions, and willing to commute up to an hour. What kind of outlook can I expect on looking for a job? I would be looking to move in May or June of 2012, and would like to secure a position before making the 5k mile trek.

What resources are the best for job searching? I am perusing craigslist but most of the listings seem like where I’m at..scams. For those of you who have relocated here are you happy, or do you regret the move? I have lived in different places, most recently I worked in Atlanta for about 8 months managing a supply company. I just recently got back to Hawaii but the outlook has not improved and I am working in a position that has no upward mobility, and subpar wages (looking for something else currently as well). I would have considered staying in Atlanta but I am not a fan of cold weather, or not being able to go to the beach within a fairly short drive.

If anyone has suggestions or input I’m all ears. I would also be interested in any types of job opportunities you may have. I have my resume, as well as recomendation letters available.

Mahalo for your time.
Check indded.com, careerbuilder, and employflorida.com.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
The Deltona/Daytona Beach area in particular has a very tough job market and currently has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country at around 11%. The job markets to the east on the coast (Melbourne area and Palm Coast area) are even higher, 11.6% and 14.6% respectively. The Orlando metro area is a bit lower (10.2%) but can tell you from personal experience that little hiring is happening. I have 12 years of successful experience in Retail Management and have had very little response to my resume and can only find part-time hourly positions. I have a very good friend who has 20+ years experience in the local Construction industry (plastering) who worked very steadily until about two years ago. Despite all of his connections and experience he's only able to find work "here and there" which allows him to just get by.

You might check out Louisiana (cities like New Orleans, Shreveport or Baton Rouge) which is booming quite a bit in the construction/trades and is still relatively close to Mom.

Check out the link below:
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,182,386 times
Not a good idea for someone at your age. You need to get serious and go to a state that has a very good job base. Texas comes to mind so look there. Deltona/Florida is hurting for good paying jobs.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 AM

378 posts, read 830,830 times
A move from HI to FL would probably be a huge mistake. Subpar wages in HI? What until you see what FL pays. Not that getting a job in FL is probable with 955,000 unemployed already, not counting those that have supposedly given up or work part time but need full time to pay bills. Set up an auto job search on indeed.com, they pick up ads from all the other sites and will email them to you to see what your chances are. Subpar pay is better than none at all. Why not move mom to HI?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,804,209 times
Sometimes you have to put up with a little cold weather if you can find a decent job! That time is now for sure.

Deltona is not a very good area. I have a friend who lives there and her car was stolen out of her driveway. Not a very stable area, and issues with crime/ gangs. You would also be looking at a long commute to most retail jobs in any of the major shopping areas.

Why did your mother choose that area? Did she buy a home? Maybe she can still leave. How does she like it so far?

Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Not a good idea for someone at your age. You need to get serious and go to a state that has a very good job base. Texas comes to mind so look there. Deltona/Florida is hurting for good paying jobs.
Texas is going into the same boat as Florida. Lots of lower-paying service economy jobs and an increasing unemployment rate...

Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,215,944 times
Hell. No.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 23,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Sometimes you have to put up with a little cold weather if you can find a decent job! That time is now for sure.

Why did your mother choose that area? Did she buy a home? Maybe she can still leave. How does she like it so far?
I can handle the cold, just don't prefer it. I'm an Arizona Native, and I am also considering a move back there. She enjoys it for the most part, she is not locked in by owning a home or anything. She travels more than anything b/w there and AZ. Deltona was just somewhere I was considering since I had a good time when I visited. You can tell driving around that it has been hit very hard by everything that has happened.

I got laid off semi-unexpectedly on Friday so my plans will probably be put in motion sooner. I may go to Arizona first and explore Florida some more in the summer. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 AM

378 posts, read 830,830 times
The latest numbers that just came out show that Florida has the top 2 job growth areas in the country. Just south of Orlando on I-4 to I-75 south has exploded with jobs. Highest unemployment in US still means it won't be easy to get hired, but there are signs that FL may finally be starting to heat up. Many recent "best places" mentions in the last 6 months in SWFL may have helped.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2011/12/13/where-the-jobs-will-and-wont-be-in-2012/

Last edited by alfbroker; 12-14-2011 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando