Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 13,367 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum and let me give you a little back ground. My husband will be taking a new job spring of next year which requires that we relocate from Colorado Springs, CO to the greater Orlando/Tampa area. We have 4 children of my own and my sister-in-law and her son moving with us. Our past residence included Bellingham, WA, Roseville, CA (Sacramento area), Castle Rock, CO (Denver area) and Colorado Springs. We are use to the new construction area and we have never lived in an older neighborhood. Safety and excellent schools are a must. Our current school system here in the Springs is excellent so of course I would want something similar. I also need to be close to an airport since I'm a flight attendant and I will be flying out 2 - 3 times a month.

Any suggustions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 39,675 times
The Conway area, which is older, has the best schools, and is very close to the airport. It is very nice though. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Location: Orlando, Florida but moving to White House, TN soon
33 posts, read 110,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcawa View Post
I'm new to this forum and let me give you a little back ground. My husband will be taking a new job spring of next year which requires that we relocate from Colorado Springs, CO to the greater Orlando/Tampa area. We have 4 children of my own and my sister-in-law and her son moving with us. Our past residence included Bellingham, WA, Roseville, CA (Sacramento area), Castle Rock, CO (Denver area) and Colorado Springs. We are use to the new construction area and we have never lived in an older neighborhood. Safety and excellent schools are a must. Our current school system here in the Springs is excellent so of course I would want something similar. I also need to be close to an airport since I'm a flight attendant and I will be flying out 2 - 3 times a month.

Any suggustions?

Are you sure you want to move to Orlando/Tampa?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
"Any suggustions?"

look into charlotte nc or perhaps raleigh.

good schools, safety, and a place like colorado springs doesnt really exist. our big cities --- miami, orlando, tampa, ft lauderdale, jax'ville all have crime and pretty poor schools overall.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM

I really don't have a choice since my husband works in law enforcement and must go where he is needed. But thanks for the advise. In regards to the schools. I'm hearing that maybe private might be a better option?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:08 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcawa View Post
My husband will be taking a new job spring of next year which requires that we relocate from Colorado Springs, CO to the greater Orlando/Tampa area.
Are you moving to Orlando or Tampa? They are not the same place, they are about 85 miles apart. Different cities, different neighborhoods, different schools, different airports, etc. Knowing which metro area you are moving to would help narrow down your choices.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:41 PM

I could go either way. I have a ton of options for my commute to work from both locations. My husband though will be working in Orlando. So I would tend to think living a little closer to Orlando might be the best route. We prefer to live outside of the city since both of us have always preferred living in the burbs.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:16 PM

i'd try lake mary. you could get close to i-4 that way and be in tampa. but beware of traffic.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Look in the Waterford Lakes (32828) Lake Nona (32827) or Vista Lakes/Tivoli Woods (32829) areas. They are very convenient to the airport, new neighborhoods, more rural and good schools. We live in a 2 year old home backed up to 300 acres of beautiful conservation...yet only 10-15 minutes from the airport. We are on the southeast side of town near the 417, the 528 and the 408 - all of which feed into Interstate 4.

We are very convenient to Disney, etc. and only about 30 minutes from Cocoa Beach and the cruise terminals. It is a great central location due to the road system around us. We lived in Winter Park (north of Orlando) and it took alot longer to get anywhere because we had to drive 20 minutes through residential areas to get to a major thoroughfare.

Prepare yourself for the heat, humidity and traffic. Also high property taxes and insurance. We have looked into retiring in Colorado and in comparing the two states - I think these things may be the most difficult for you in making the adjustment.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 PM

"Prepare yourself for the heat, humidity and traffic"

and the ppl. there are so many freakin rude ppl here from ny/nj.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando