Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 PM

39 posts, read 116,098 times

Advertisements

my last thread was closed because people were racist. i am moving to orlando at the end of next month, i am in my early twenties and married with a one year old daughter. so i am trying this again.

i would like people to tell me good areas to live where we have a less than thirty minute commute to downtown orlando and are still close to some things to do (movie theaters, indie restaurants, places where bands play, etc) and shopping (as i dont like driving forever to do the essentials specially with my girl.) we would like to rent at an apartment complex. my hubby and i both will have jobs already when we come to orlando.

also i would rather have a low level of crime too.

and if people could advise me on some of the positive things about orlando that would be great.

i do not want to hear any racist comments about people of any color. puerto ricans are u.s. citizens and i am fluent in spanish even though i am white, and even though i have been a victim of violent crime i try to have an open mind set. i know what to do in bad situations as i am from new york city. i think its awful that i have to say this, but there ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,753 times
Pretty much anywhere in Seminole County is nice and most of the schools in the county are top rated.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM

131 posts, read 578,174 times
I'd say try Winter Garden. I would also say rent a house. Try the Winter Oaks subdivison. Rent is becoming very affordable. I say this b/c I am not sure of your budget but when we first moved down our rent on east side of town in a brand new 3 bedroom townhome was 1100k per month (that included cable and trash). My 4 bedroom house with loft is 1400 per month and it includes trash, water, lawn service and has a 2 car garage approx 2200 SF under air and in a very cute, family oriented neighborhood. I think my landlord owns several houses and can hook you up if your interested.

I feel ultimately safe in WG although realize crime can and will happen anywhere. We go to the community pool almost every night and walk the trail on the West Orange Bike Trail frequently. We also go to Winter Garden Pizza in downtown WG a lot..

I have found some preschools that are pretty good and one that my 4 year old just enrolled at in Oakland.. I feel like it is such a gem to have found a spot.

The Charter school (elementary) in Oakland is EXCELLENT.

PM if you want more data. I admit I am smitten with Oakland and Winter Garden but caution.. when driving down 50 the towns look dumpy.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 AM

266 posts, read 1,162,193 times
Check out the Tivoli Woods subdivisions between Curry Ford Rd and Lee Vista - just off the 417. Housing prices are becoming more and more affordable - many homes, ranging from 1600 sf to 4000 sf are available. Townhomes as well. Home rental prices will compete with what you will find in the apt complexes.

You are 15 minutes from OIA, 20 minutes from downtown Orlando (my wife works there), you are within 2 miles of 3 major roads (417, 408, 528), 10 minutes away are all the shopping areas of Waterford Lakes (without the traffic), 15 minutes from UCF, 25 minutes from all major attractions. You would be about 20 minutes from the FL Mall.

AND, there's a little bit of nature still left around here....it's not uncommon to see deer just off my backyard!

Virtually no crime.

Oh....and if you're in the Oak Crest subdivision, there's also a really nice community pool, playground, tennis & basketball courts.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 29,182 times
I agree with Winter Garden. There is a brand new (huge) shopping center going in at 535 & 429! I live right across 535 from it. There are lots of houses, townhouses and an apartment complex on 535, many for rent.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 29,182 times
Oh and the commute from the west side (Winter Garden) to downtown is probably one of the least congested. Although it is a commute on toll roads. My husband drives it and pays $3 a day in tolls. FYI.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:49 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,508 times
I live in NW Orlando...near Apopka and Ocoee and work downtown at ORMC. The commute is about 30 mins and I don't hit much traffic mainly because of my work hours. I work 7am-3:30pm and rarely have issues. The crime in my area is LOW and although there are a lot of older homes, the neighborhood is very nice and we look out for each other.

I live about 15 mins from West Oaks Mall which is really nice and just about any store is very close. I really like it here and have no plans to move in the near future.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:29 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,587 times
East Orlando, near UCF. There are tons of apartments and housing, you are about 25-30 minutes from downtown and you are right next to the mega shopping complex of waterford lakes.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,270 times
I live in the area of Hunter's Creek. It is in southwest Orlando...very close to both Disney and Downtown. Everything seems to be near you. Very clean, nice area between john young parkway and orange blossom trail. lots of apartments available. they are almost done with the new shopping center called the villages of hunters creek with lots of upscale dining, hair salons, spas, etc.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
You've gotten suggestions from all areas of Orlando. I am prejudiced to the new East Orlando area of Waterford Lakes, Vista Lakes, Lake Nona and Tivoli Woods simply because it's where we choose to build our new home. I like the fact that everything is new, fresh and clean here. We have alot of families - one of the most outstanding shopping areas, restaurants, etc. in Waterford Lakes that is extremely convenient.
It is VERY safe, lots of people walking, restaurants with outside dining, etc.

I, too, work downtown and find it an easy commute which will become even easier when the E pass thru lanes are complete on the 408.

It would be nice if you have the opportunity to visit each area that has been suggested and see what appeals to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando