Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,208 times

Advertisements

We are a multi-ethnic family, Brazilian American family and we are like the colors of the rainbow (wonder bread white to cafe mocha). We are in Indiana and looking to go someplace warm. Of course, we would like an area with some diversity with affordable, but safe housing and good schools. (When I say safe, we are accustomed to urban definitions of safe.) We aren't necessarily burb people so a walkable area or an area near the beach would be great. We are looking at buying around $200K. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
How many bedrooms would you want and how old are your children?

Also, any idea where you might end up working?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Default Working

I have a home based business so no issues about where I am. My husband works in tourism/hotels.

Our boys are 2 and 10.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM

457 posts, read 627,123 times
If you find it, let me know.

Realtors are little help. They are so afraid of being sued that they won't discuss race...or even crime. You have to phrase your questions very carefully.

I came here from the Midwest, for the warmth and looking in for something around your price range, too. Where I came from, you had the horrid city and bad suburbs near it. The further out you went, the better off you were, generally. Not so here.

In Orlando, aside from the most wealthy areas, it's all a mish-mash. Lovely neighborhoods next to crappy ones...all over.

I wanted a middle class area, low in crime, with a nice racial mix of people who liked living in a place with that sort of mix. We had three areas like that back home. If it exists here, I never found it.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Hunter's Creek, Lake Mary, Winter Garden, Waterford Lake, Avalon Park, Conway, Winter Park

Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM

We are living in Indianapolis currently and the mis-mash of good neighborhoods next to bad is certainly true of this city. Right now we live in a historic district that is being revitalized and we love it. It's residential with a local "square" that has a variety of restaurants, age groups, and ethnicities. However the area is probably classified as working class and slowly becoming "gentrified".

My husband does get tired of everyone calling him a Mexican (which he is not) and assuming he doesn't speak English. I would like some place where our children can grow up seeing role models from a variety of walks in life.

But mostly we are just tired of the cold weather.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 PM

Default Hunter's Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Hunter's Creek, Lake Mary, Winter Garden, Waterford Lake, Avalon Park, Conway, Winter Park
I saw a post in another thread that said Hunter's Creek is becoming more diverse, but not in a good way and causing friction. Any thoughts about that?

halfgitana

Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
I second Maitland, Winter Park, Avalon Park, Waterford Lakes, and Conway. Also College Park. Lake Nona is probably worth considering, although it is hard to tell what it is going to be like in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando