Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 38,677 times

Advertisements

ok, now i dont want to sound completely dumb but i really need advice !
Now i do have my drivers license but i never owned a car. I always drove my moms car (im 23). So when i move to florida i will be buying my very first hoopty , so im moving to kissimee. Now i just basically need it broken down to me about owning a car. i know i have to get the title from the seller, but then what ?
where do i go to get license plates? & do i get them the same day? or do i have to wait? im lost, lol ! So i would appreciate your advice. I know i need to register the car, but do they need an inspection as well ? because i know its needed in ny & do i register it at them dmv?
i just basically need to know approximately how long does this whole process take to get your car on the road so that way i can know how long im going to need a rental.

& any advice on a third party car insurance? & how much is this all going to cost? thanks !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM

24 posts, read 117,899 times
You can get on the road the same day. When you decide to buy a car of someone or a buy here pay here place or any dealership, they will give you temp tags which will get you on the road. You will have to wait for your metal plates in the mail and the time could vary, but you have temp tags so no worries here. If you buy the car of someone, your gonna have to go to the DMV the same day to get temp tags for it.

You can get all this done at the registration office (DMV) or at the dealership that is taking care of you. Expect it to take a few hours.

I used Direct Auto Insurance Orlando, FL - 32809 Office Location when I was in high school for car insurance, it was dirt cheap compared to the mainstream insurance companies. You can try here, but I don't know how well they would take care of you if you actually do get into a accident.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
What he said.

Get your insurance lined up before you get the car. And good luck, have fun with your new car.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,777 times
If you buy the car from someone and you go to the DMV to register it on the same day you bought it, you can also walk out of the DMV with your metal plates if you just want the regular plates everyone has...no need for temporary ones.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie89 View Post
ok, now i dont want to sound completely dumb but i really need advice !
Now i do have my drivers license but i never owned a car. I always drove my moms car (im 23). So when i move to florida i will be buying my very first hoopty , so im moving to kissimee. Now i just basically need it broken down to me about owning a car. i know i have to get the title from the seller, but then what ?
where do i go to get license plates? & do i get them the same day? or do i have to wait? im lost, lol ! So i would appreciate your advice. I know i need to register the car, but do they need an inspection as well ? because i know its needed in ny & do i register it at them dmv?
i just basically need to know approximately how long does this whole process take to get your car on the road so that way i can know how long im going to need a rental.

& any advice on a third party car insurance? & how much is this all going to cost? thanks !!!!!
Not familiar with the term 3rd party car insurance- what is that?

Full Coverage car insurance will probably be in the $800-1,000 range every 6 months since you are just 23. I think most insurance will come down at 25. Anyway that is when our insurance dropped the rate for my sons. You can make monthly payments for insurance.

Be careful on buying a used caar. Check to see the difference in monthly car payments between buying a brand new car and a used car. Sometimes it is a matteer of $20 a month difference. I'd opt for the new with the longer waranty. Having never owned a car you probably can get a first time car owner discount from a lot of dealers, too.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM

12 posts, read 38,677 times
thank u guys for all the info i really appreciate it ! it really helped me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando