Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:52 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times

Advertisements

2 Shot, Killed In Hail Of Gunfire In Quiet Central Florida Neighborhood - Local News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/14197339/detail.html - broken link)

Where are my friends that keep telling me that these things don't happen in areas outside of Pine Hills, and Paramore?

It happens in other cities .....yes.....i know because ive lived in other cities...but this stuff happens more here than other places with the exception of about 8 or 9 other cities......It don't happen like this in Davenport Iowa.....or hundreds of other areas in the nice suburbs at the rate that it happens in Orlando and those handfull of other suburbs in big cities

If i was an idiot then this is the kind of post i would make....but all i really do is post my experience so stop saying that i am being negative.....that goes to all the people who said that i complain all the time about crime being so bad in Orlando.....There is alot of crime as in other cities but there really is things that happen that some people on here are saying to ignore .......i am just being realistic....there are good areas in Orlando but if you live near the city limits there are lots of areas that arent meant for raising kids now with the spike in crime in Orlando....thats all im saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
2 Shot, Killed In Hail Of Gunfire In Quiet Central Florida Neighborhood - Local News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/14197339/detail.html - broken link)

Where are my friends that keep telling me that these things don't happen in areas outside of Pine Hills, and Paramore?

It happens in other cities .....yes.....i know because ive lived in other cities...but this stuff happens more here than other places with the exception of about 8 or 9 other cities......It don't happen like this in Davenport Iowa.....or hundreds of other areas in the nice suburbs at the rate that it happens in Orlando and those handfull of other suburbs in big cities

If i was an idiot then this is the kind of post i would make....but all i really do is post my experience so stop saying that i am being negative.....that goes to all the people who said that i complain all the time about crime being so bad in Orlando.....There is alot of crime as in other cities but there really is things that happen that some people on here are saying to ignore .......i am just being realistic....there are good areas in Orlando but if you live near the city limits there are lots of areas that arent meant for raising kids now with the spike in crime in Orlando....thats all im saying
Agreed. And here is what is making news today about our crime in general in Florida:

Violent crime on the rise -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-crimestats2507sep25,0,1035086.story?coll=orl_tab01 _layout - broken link)

2006 Florida County-by-County Crime Data -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 09-25-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Agreed. And here is what is making news today about our crime in general in Florida:

Violent crime on the rise -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-crimestats2507sep25,0,1035086.story?coll=orl_tab01 _layout - broken link)

2006 Florida County-by-County Crime Data -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Thanks for the reply and those stories.....i know alot of people will say that the stats dont prove anything, but i would tell them to just ask a cop about issues on the streets in Orlando......A cop will tell you that the average citizen is in the dark about alot of what is happening in the city they are living in

On the crime stats that you posted it basically says that 1) Orlando area is the most dangerous place to live in Florida as far as crime per-capita, then 2) Jacksonville/Duval 3) Miami, 4) Tampa, 5) Palm Beach ....out of the larger counties

I bet you that the 6,000 plus crimes per 100,000 people ranks up there with alot of the bigger U.S. cities that everyone says is more dangerous....and as you can see by the stats ....that not every city went past the 6,000 crimes per 100,000 people ....only Jacksonville did that......so no it doesnt happen "everywhere"

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 09-25-2007 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-25-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Thanks for the reply and those stories.....i know alot of people will say that the stats dont prove anything, but i would tell them to just ask a cop about issues on the streets in Orlando......A cop will tell you that the average citizen is in the dark about alot of what is happening in the city they are living in
And just think of all the crimes that are not reported and accounted for in these statistics for whatever reason.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
And just think of all the crimes that are not reported and accounted for in these statistics for whatever reason.

I know first hand all about that....my father was a cop in Miami and always told us things that happened that the public wasn't really aware of...and i got into a situation too and was in fear of the guy coming to my house and hurting my mother when i wasnt there so i didnt report him to the cops because of that......just read my other posts and you'll see what situation i am refering to....i dont want to repeat that story because some people might get nausiated hearing it again and hearing that things actually happen to people in Orlando "sarcasm" ....i appoligize to all of those people that i was involved in a situation that i share with people on here.....I am not dumb either as you know there are bad parts in Connecticuit too and i believe that too.....but people on here think im saying Orlando is like Mexico City ....its not.....but there are problems just like Markhunt has shown by putting up stats....anyone who disagrees please put up your own news clip of the media saying that Orlando is one of the safest cities in the U.S. right now...

Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 AM

Connecticut does have its crime as well. In fact when I was living there, I used to think some of the bigger cities there were really bad... Until I took a trip to New York City for the day and then came back to Connecticut and was like "This aint that bad". That’s how I feel now, except that I just can't go back home to Connecticut yet. Bridgeport Connecticut is probably the worst that the whole state has to offer in terms of crime, and the personal crime index is lower than Orlando.

One thing that I always found which can be deceiving here in Orlando is that the bad sections sometimes look like decent neighborhoods. In NY, NJ, CT, the bad sections are pretty much confined to the bigger cities (Bridgeport, new haven, Hartford), and you cannot mistake the areas to stay away from because they usually are big brown brick buildings with bars in the windows.

Here in Orlando pretty much everything is intertwined with each other. You can live in a 500k and up home, but yet still be a few blocks away from consistent crime. This is just something I was not used to. Where I used to live, the suburbs were the suburbs and you could drive in a 15 mile radius and still know the likelihood of encountering a crime were very very low. AND, you had the convenience of shopping, good doctors, good schools, etc...

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
holy cow. that was in oviedo??? yikes!!!!! that area is so quiet and nice. i am suprised and disgusted!!!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Am I the only one who bothered to read the article? It is a rare thing to happen in this area...the article was very specific to say that. In fact, there had not been a homicide in Oviedo for 10 years before having two this year.

This is like the people who scream 'HURRICANES' since '04. Yes, '04 was bad, but the other 24 years that I've lived in Orlando had no hurricanes.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
i read the article. 1 murder is too many. and yes i did read it was only the 2nd of the year. i am just still supsrised and shocked.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM

47 posts, read 311,714 times
The Oviedo story - the perp knew his victims, so it was not just random act of violence. if someone wants to go ape sh** in someone they will , no matter where they live, good or bad areas.

but agreed... 1 murder is too many in any state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando