Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 PM

158 posts, read 371,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabflmom View Post
:d this post of yours had me smilin' as i was reading it. I never would have thought of that analogy but it does fit. Wouldn't let me give you a rep so
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Beautiful suburbia and close enough to Orlando for what it offers would apply to the newer homes constructed along Osceola Pkwy between Boggy Creek Road and John Young Pkwy, and yes BVL DOES have some beautiful neighborhoods

Once again, Osceola is the NJ of Orlando
HA! If that's the nicest Osceola has to offer, you've proven my point.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM

70 posts, read 258,500 times
I don't get offended by much but having grown up in NJ and lived there for a total of 20 years of my life and then having lived in 5 other states, 12 other cities/towns, I take great offense to the OP. All I will say is that the people that live near the Monmouth county beaches (not where the stupid Jersey Shore TV show takes place - and, by the way, most of those people are NYers or from Jersey City/Newark - not the same at the other 85-90% of the population) have just as negative opinion about the "bennys" that come to our beaches from "up north."

Also, having lived in NJ and in this area, no. Kissimmee is not the NJ of Orlando. Unless you base it on it being a place where the a$$holes from the city come to boss people around and act like their God's gift to humanity just because they are from somewhere more "urban." Then, sure, when Orlando-ites that have that mentality go to Kissimmee that does indeed make it the NJ of Orlando.

Mind you, I would not ever move back to NJ because of the COL and the weather. But those are the same reasons I would NEVER move to NYC either. And I don't live in Kissimmee because of the schools, which is also not a valid argument for the whole NJ comparison.

If you have to start a post with "I mean no offense" and then only "apologize" to one side of the comparison, I have to assume you are posing the question only to get a rise out of people. Job well done.

Last edited by sillyleo; 07-25-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,753 times
I also find some offense with this post. New Jersey is a great place to live, as is Central Florida. I feel Annerk pretty much said it all when it comes to a comparison. You cannot compare Osceola County to NJ. Many CEO's and other executives of large corporations headquartered in NYC call NJ their home. New Jersey also has many fine schools and colleges. Can Osceola County say that? I don't think so.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I also find some offense with this post. New Jersey is a great place to live, as is Central Florida. I feel Annerk pretty much said it all when it comes to a comparison. You cannot compare Osceola County to NJ. Many CEO's and other executives of large corporations headquartered in NYC call NJ their home. New Jersey also has many fine schools and colleges. Can Osceola County say that? I don't think so.
Best part is that you can't compare ANYWHERE in central Florida to Peapack-Gladstone. Not even Windermere. In fact I'm pretty confident saying there is NO WHERE in Florida that compares to that area.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyleo View Post
I don't get offended by much but having grown up in NJ and lived there for a total of 20 years of my life and then having lived in 5 other states, 12 other cities/towns, I take great offense to the OP. All I will say is that the people that live near the Monmouth county beaches (not where the stupid Jersey Shore TV show takes place - and, by the way, most of those people are NYers or from Jersey City/Newark - not the same at the other 85-90% of the population) have just as negative opinion about the "bennys" that come to our beaches from "up north."
The thing is that the people who don't know NJ think it's all like Newark and LBI. They never see places like Rumson, Peapack, Warren, Medford, Millstone Twsp, Essex Fells, Cape May, Short Hills, etc.

Quote:
Mind you, I would not ever move back to NJ because of the COL and the weather. But those are the same reasons I would NEVER move to NYC either. And I don't live in Kissimmee because of the schools, which is also not a valid argument for the whole NJ comparison.
I'm actually thinking about buying another house up there, I found one in Montgomery that is livable but needs a lot of elbow grease that I could pick up in the mid 200's. If we do most of the work, I think with about $100K we can have a house worth $600K. It's on a six acres (!), older home (1920's and looks really solid) with original hardwood and new electric. I'm going to try to look at it when I'm up there in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most of NYC's trash goes to PA, not NJ.

NJ hardly has a lower quality of life. In fact most people would say just the opposite. The best of both worlds, beautiful suburbia (they don't call it the Garden State for nothing) and still close enough to NYC for what it offers. And lower taxes than Westchester.
I'm with you.you know what your talking about!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
HA! If that's the nicest Osceola has to offer, you've proven my point.
Definitely NOT the nicest Osceola has to offer. That would be Celebration.

But in the BVL area along Osceola Pkwy between Boggy Creek and the Loop there are some beautiful homes but as I said, not the best Osceola has to offer

Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Definitely NOT the nicest Osceola has to offer. That would be Celebration.

But in the BVL area along Osceola Pkwy between Boggy Creek and the Loop there are some beautiful homes but as I said, not the best Osceola has to offer
Celebration can't hold a candle to the places I mentioned above. Not even close. Celebration is where the household staff that work in those places would live. Seriously DavieJ, you're in over your head on this one. You made a comment with no basis in fact, and every single person on this thread has told you so. Are you really going to keep going and putting your foot further down your throat? Just admit you were wrong and move on.

By the way, my house isn't all that" and it's nicer than any of the ones over off of Osceola Pkwy between Boggy Creek and the Loop--it's really nothing special over there.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:18 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I can't make the NJ comparison since I don't know enough about it but I will agree that as long as I've been here Kissimmee/Osceola has been the ugly lil sibling to Orlando. Seminole the stuffy older, less pretty sibling. If I had to qualify it in Kardashian terms (not sure how many people will understand this) but Orlando/Orange is Kim, the most famous, glamourous one, Seminole is Kourtney, the serious but still pretty one, and Osceola/Kissimmee is Khloe, the youngest one who always wanted to be the other two but just didn't have the looks or the goods. She got lucky though and landed herself in good situation (Lamar Odom for Khloe, Disney World for Osceola County). If after reading this no one ever wants to take my post seriously again I totally understand. Even I can't believe I'm posting this.
lol I never took you for a Kardashian follower...I don't watch but know enough about them to realize that you are right on target.
Very funny and so very true.

I don't know enough about NJ to comment on Davie's comparison. I've only driven thru so I won't insult it by comparing it to Kissimmee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando