Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 59,431 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm relatively new to the board & town. So far, this board seems rather informative -- so thanks!

Here's a question for you. I'm a little new to the concept of HOA's -- especially after either owning my own place outright or being a renter for many years.

We live in a "condo community" and obviously have a board in place. There is a monthly fee that is supposed to cover property maintenance.

Here's are a few questions. And I apologize if this post is long, but trying to gather up as much info as I can.

1. What the average monthly for a HOA? Ours is $200 a month & honestly for the area, the property value & the average income of the folks that live here...seems a bit high.

2. Is there a governing body in this state that you can complain to when you think your HOA is abusing their powers?

3. Does anyone have an example of a typical HOA budget; i.e., what their monthly costs/expenses are?

4. Is it usual or unusual for a HOA to have a full or part time person working in the office?

Anyways, I'm trying to do a bit of info gathering as we are having issues with our HOA. While I recognize these committees are run by homeowners, there is always a danger when inexperienced (altho well-meaning) individuals run what is essentially a non-profit business.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 PM

55 posts, read 234,069 times
We pay $110 per quater in Southern Dunes and we are in houses yours sounds expensive but it depends on what is offered.ie trash, maintanence etc.
Regards Martin

Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,284,217 times
When we lived in a condo we paid $150 and it included our water bill. Our Condo board was horrible. It was a bunch of retired people that had nothing better to do then enforce their 15 page rule book. We got fined for having the blinds open! Also, we had a washing machine that we hooked up to our sink and they threatened eviction on us even though it was not in the rules. Overall, I would never live in a condo again. They not only get to dictate what you can do to the exterior (like no Christmas decorations as all) to what is going on inside your condo. They can basically make any rule they want as long as they have the votes. There is a department with the state (I forgot which right now) that handles condos and there is a long list of rules they must abide by but I heard there are loop holes for almost all of them as long as they have the votes from the board. Also, our condo had a secretary but she was a volunteer and had way to much time on her hands and would walk around with a clip board and a camera. It was to much drama and we got our as soon as we could. Now, we own but have not HOA and have never been happier.
Sorry I am such a downer in this post, however, we just had a horrible time with our condo association and I wanted to share.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 AM

Hi there,

Well as far as I know, our HOA includes water, trash (but there is no dumpster on property for non-baggable stuff), grounds & grounds lighting & their insurance. Oh and we have a pool. I've asked for a statement on what & where monies are spent.

I totally agree with you CMJ -- the board members are definitely made up of folks with (1) too much time on their hands; (2) with no business sense; (3) busy-bodies.

You know, when my boyfriend's mother died (only child), he totally lost it. He had no idea what her monthlies or status was with the association. This board doesn't send statements ("paper costs too much") and they never mailed any requests for payment. But when I contacted them regarding a copy of the condo insurance for the bank, the secretary had the balls to say "you guys are behind and we are about to put a lien on the property." Um, where was the notice? Where was a statement? My fave peeve are the parking gestapo.

Honestly this CA has some balls. And if you come across that agency name that fields complaints, do let me know. I actually may have a lawyer look at their by-laws -- compare it against their practices -- as well as cite nepotism (the admin is a board member's sister). I'd rather have a volunteer than pay what I believe is a really high rate.

I'm with ya. If my boyfriend wasn't so attached to the place since it was his mom's - we'd move.

Anyways, if anyone else can provide some insights on FL & condo associations, please do. Coming from other states, I've never seen it as bad as I see it here.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,284,217 times
I feel for ya! We also consulted a lawyer after the washing machine thing and he wrote a letter on our behalf stating that if the unwarnted harrasment did not stop that we would sue. Boy did it work! It cost us a few hundred just to get the to back off but it was worth it.

Here is the statues from the state:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov (broken link)
If you find something in there that you think they are doing unlawfully then the next step would be to file a complaint.

Here is the link to file a compalint (we did this too and it was effective but took awhile):
https://www.myfloridalicense.com/ent...laint.asp?SID=

Finally, if none of that works then I can tell ya a good lawyer too!

I wish you the best and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM

Hi CMJ,
I would like the lawyer's name. Can you PM me with their contact info? We are getting harassed big time by them.
Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando