Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times

Advertisements

Understand that part as I deal with it daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
Yes because Orlando is much more financially distressed than Detroit, Flint, Oakland, Compton, Daytona Beach, St. Louis, (add another 100 before you get near Orlando)

Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
As I expected. Denying and denying.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
"South Florida’s housing score is down a third from the national average, according to the Consumer Distress Index.

However, the surge in international home buyers in Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties has helped South Florida clear out inventory. Home prices appear to have hit bottom and are now inching up, real estate agents said.

International trade and tourism has also helped the South Florida economy, Cole said."

Interestingly, they ignore the emerging role of foreign buyers in the Orlando real estate market

Florida's tourism gets a boost from a Brazilian invasion - CNN.com
Foreign buyers kick-start Orlando-area condo sales - Orlando Sentinel
Record Tourists Boosting Orlando Real Estate Market

Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
Yes because Orlando is much more financially distressed than Detroit, Flint, Oakland, Compton, Daytona Beach, St. Louis, (add another 100 before you get near Orlando)
The article doesn't refer to crime rates, unemployment or that. It simply says what areas of the country are still feeling the most effect of the real estate bubble bursting, essentially. I highly recommend those commenting on the data and article, read it.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Yup. It's funny how they acknowledge foreign buyers in the south FL market but ignore their influence in the Orlando market

Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM

117 posts, read 213,758 times
I believe it. I bought a apartment-to-condo conversion and what a mistake that proved to be. The thing about this area, it seems like you're either very well off or downright struggling. There isn't much in between anymore. Thanks to a drastic change in living arrangements the past two years (family), I've been able to recoup a lot of what I lost in savings / 401K but still, my goal is to stay debt free and it seems really hard on an average income in this area.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 AM

97 posts, read 228,972 times
Yet another lofty ranking for pitiful Orlando.

And truly funny how the sunshine pumpers think it will come back.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
It amazes me that millions of transplants have come to FL over the past 20 years and they expect the place to be a paradise. It used to be a lot better before so many millions decided to relocate here. It would be nice if we could turn the clock back to the early 1980's, before everybody and his sister decided that where they were was no longer the best choice for them and came here.

Back in the early 80's jobs in Orlando were easy to obtain because we didnt have to deal with the influx of non-skilled, over-skilled and people who had no idea what this part of the country was all about.
Unemployment rates were low, rents were low, housing costs were low and so were the salaries but everyone seemed to make it through.

You can only cut so many slices from a pie. The pie in Orlando has been cut into too many small slices so nobody who is getting a slice now feels that they got robbed.

My best advice for those who arent making it here, dont like it here, etc is to simply do what you did when you were considering leaving your "home" area to come here. Reverse the process. It wasnt so easy getting here, so it is not going to so easy to reverse it, but for the sake of your future and the future of your families, please, do what is right for you and let Orlando get back to the nice little town in Central Florida
that it used to be.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americandreamdead View Post
Yet another lofty ranking for pitiful Orlando.

And truly funny how the sunshine pumpers think it will come back.
If you hate it so much, why do you stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando